• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CRPD Encounter with video!

centsi

Campaign Veteran
This happened a few days ago in Castle Rock. I was OCing a 1911 in a Blackhawk holster while on a walk with my son. An unmarked CRPD car spots me and does a 180 on Plum Creek Parkway pulling up behind me. I waive him off (as in "I see you. I'm fine. Thank you.") but he persists, honks his horn and starts asking me questions.

Had it been anyone but CRPD I would have been more amenable, but I've been through enough of these encounters with Castle Rock that I no longer cooperate with them. I'm sure I didn't do our movement any favors here, but with this department I don't think it matters.

The video is from a small keychain camera which I was just hoping to turn on in time to get the encounter. The video is very poor but the audio is ok.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ni1bXO-jBxo

PS, I think the officer in the video is actually either the CRPD Chief or one of his lieutenants :0

Last edited:

RockyMtnScotsman

wow, his response of "you never can tell" to your question about RAS is all I needed to hear.....

You've taken enough guff from CRPD - time to put an end to it before you find yourself being drawn upon.

edit: when's the next OC M&G in Castle Rock....???

Last edited:

ZackL

Wow... Two encounters with LE in Colorado in the same week, that doesn't happen often. I don't think anyone will fault you for the way you handled the situation. The officer had no right to break the law himself to stop someone that was simply walking with their child, who cares if you had a gun on. I think the reason for being armed is very apparent.

I agree that we need to have another, very public, get together in Castle Rock soon. It's still nice outside, we should go to a park for a BBQ or something.

zach

What's the last thing he says?

I've noticed a few more patrols in my neighborhood. I've been making it a point to head down to the Safeway on Plum Creek to get diesel since your earlier reports on the CRPD.

centsi

Campaign Veteran
Yes, a very sarcastic "Thanks for the cooperation".

Of course his idea of cooperation is to talk to me long enough to build reasonable suspicion, detain me, run my name & weapon through CCIC and then give me that lecture about how he's all for citizens carrying guns with CCWs, but that this open carry alarms everyone and they will have to respond and detain me every time I do it. I love that lecture.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
IMO you kind of sounded like a dick, but given CRPD's past on this kind of thing, I don't really blame you.

Gunslinger

Yes, a very sarcastic "Thanks for the cooperation".

Of course his idea of cooperation is to talk to me long enough to build reasonable suspicion, detain me, run my name & weapon through CCIC and then give me that lecture about how he's all for citizens carrying guns with CCWs, but that this open carry alarms everyone and they will have to respond and detain me every time I do it. I love that lecture.

I wonder if the SS thanked the inmates at Buchenwald for their cooperation?

Las Vegan

Perfect response. I don't think you came off poorly at all. Good for you. Sad that your son has to see police acting in such a way, but a great example from his dad on how to handle situations like that.

ZackL

Just to let you know, I'll be in Castle Rock (Walgreens on Plum Creek and Wilcox) tonight (8-17) for a bit as I'm going with my brother so he can trade his truck. I'll let you know if anything happens, but hopefully it will be a quick and easy deal.