• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lady freaked out at Manito Park Today

bennie1986

My family and I went to Manito Park today and were there for about 45min before a lady came up and said, “Sir your gun is making me feel uncomfortable, my kids are scared”. I said, “I’m sorry to hear that” and just stood there. She looked at me for a minute and said, “We are leaving because of that gun”. I gave her a funny look and again said, “I’m sorry to hear that”. She started talking about how it’s a park where kids play and I reminded her it’s a public park and I have every much a right as her to be there. I tried to hand her a Washington OC pamphlet and she rolled her eyes and walked away grumbling. She went and collected her kids whom had no idea that I had a gun until she told them why they were leaving; at that point they were only scared because of the way she was acting. The ladies husband look embarrassed the whole time she was having a fit and then she talked to another family about it and they left too. About 10 minutes after she left two patrol cars started circling the area for about 10 minutes. The cops never got out of the car and I stayed at the park with my wife and son for about another 30 minutes. I have never had anybody freak out on me like that before but I think the police handled it better this time.

SayWhat

I think Ben needs a t-shirt that says:

Yes, it is legal, like it or not. Now go away.

That way when anybody bugs him about it, he can just point to the print.

Superlite27

If you carry often enough, you'll eventually be approached by a person who will not be appeased by anything you might say. While I advocate treating everyone who approaches you in a respectful and courteous manner, (We do represent all gun owners when OC'ing) I have no problem with snide remarks and left handed comments to those who will obviously not say anything positive even when met with politeness.

I think the OP handled things in a perfect way. Never let them get to you. Always take the high road and respond in a polite manner.

That being said:

I once had an obvious "flaming" liberal approach me in a Starbucks and voice her opinion of my firearm.

Blonde dreadlock Patchouli girl: "I don't think you should be allowed to have that in here." (obvioulsy referring to my gun)

Me: "Do you think African Americans should be allowed to vote?"

BdPg: "Huh? Wha.......? (blank stare)

Me: "I'm just trying to narrow down the civil rights you think should be taken away."

She turned on her heels and walked back over to her "nook".

If these anti's were open to discussion, they'd bring something to the table. They'd have their arguments prepared. If they were willing to have a discussion, they'd enter into dialogue. They don't. They want you to conform. They don't want an open exchange of ideas. They want you to lose. Be a victim. Stop existing. They want you and your symbol of independence gone.

Once you show you cannot be made to disappear, they'll choose to do so themselves, rather than look in the mirror and examine their own motives. Their motives scare them as much as it does us. They just choose not to see.

"There are none so blind.........."

amzbrady

Although we dont cause it's rude, wouldnt ya just like to tell her that she should be glad there not an age limit in parks cause she would be traveling 5 times the legal limit. I would love to see the Marx brothers handle the Anti's outside of a starbucks.

unknownsailor

The rabid left have internalized their politics to be the core of their world view. Their entire way of thinking is based upon this world view.
Entering into a reasoned debate risks exposing their worldview to the possibility of being proven wrong. Therefore they actively discourage actual debate with every means at their disposal. Speech codes, protests, lawsuits, cries of racism, peer pressure, refusal to provide a forum for opposing views, even passing legislation backed with armed force in the form of law enforcement, all of it is just their way of shutting down dissent.

I like Superlight27's means of short circitting the conversation. Derail their line of thought by rubbing their nose in how bigotted they are.

amzbrady

The rabid left have internalized their politics to be the core of their world view. Their entire way of thinking is based upon this world view.
Entering into a reasoned debate risks exposing their worldview to the possibility of being proven wrong. Therefore they actively discourage actual debate with every means at their disposal. Speech codes, protests, lawsuits, cries of racism, peer pressure, refusal to provide a forum for opposing views, even passing legislation backed with armed force in the form of law enforcement, all of it is just their way of shutting down dissent.

I like Superlight27's means of short circitting the conversation. Derail their line of thought by rubbing their nose in how bigotted they are.

+1. Which is much the same reason you will never see, a scientologist, a Jahovah's Witness, a Morman, and a Catholic get together to debate religeon, and if they would, they would definitly never invite a Baptist.

grishnav

The rabid left have internalized their politics to be the core of their world view.

What's with the left-hating? The right is the same way. What would you have done if you were at a park, with your kids, and someone sat down and lit up a joint?

Really, the question is freedom vs. tyranny. The left and the right want different flavors of tyranny. I'll take freedom, please!

ghosthunter

We all have our own respones to these events, but I think sometimes we miss the mark on bridging the gap. You will not change many of these folk's minds but you can always hope. I like to kill them with kindness. Hi my names ????, offer my hand. Try to get them to talk about something else besides the gun. I ask people to look at me as a person. If I did not have this gun would you be frightened of me?

Just the way I roll.

Last edited:

brianstone1985

Manito Encounter

Bennie,

One of these days I'm going to run into you at manito and sit back and watch. You get all the action. I have been to that same spot with my nephew many a time and haven't had more than a raised eye brow. On the bright side the Anti must have known it was legal, then called the cops anyways and they knew you were legal ( third times the charm! HAHAHAH). All in all someone trying to stop on your civil rights failed.

o2ryan

What's with the left-hating? The right is the same way. What would you have done if you were at a park, with your kids, and someone sat down and lit up a joint?

Really, the question is freedom vs. tyranny. The left and the right want different flavors of tyranny. I'll take freedom, please!

To me, honestly, I could care less. If you are not harming me or mine, it is none of my business.

I take issue with the above argument as it is comparing a legal activity to an illegal activity. I cannot begin to comment further without hurling multiple insults to the author regarding this ridiculous comparison, other than to say that you should have saved your joint for after you logged off for the evening thus preventing you from making such a ridiculous statement.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
+1. Which is much the same reason you will never see, a scientologist, a Jahovah's Witness, a Morman, and a Catholic get together to debate religeon, and if they would, they would definitly never invite a Baptist.

Please, lets leave religion out of our discussions unless it is to discuss a religious philosophy and its support for freedom, gun rights, or self-defense. Lets focus on the positive points about people and their faiths rather than the negative.

grishnav

To me, honestly, I could care less. If you are not harming me or mine, it is none of my business.

Well put. As would I.

I take issue with the above argument as it is comparing a legal activity to an illegal activity.

It's comparing a peaceful activity that makes some people uncomfortable to a peaceful activity that makes some people uncomfortable. End of story. If I happen to have chosen a peaceful activity that is illegal, it's because it's so difficult to find peaceful activities that make people uncomfortable that haven't already been made illegal!

I cannot begin to comment further without hurling multiple insults to the author regarding this ridiculous comparison, other than to say that you should have saved your joint for after you logged off for the evening thus preventing you from making such a ridiculous statement.

Haven't had any for a long time. Working a job that wouldn't appreciate it too much. But thanks for proving my point!

Last edited:

o2ryan

Well put. As would I.

It's comparing a peaceful activity that makes some people uncomfortable to a peaceful activity that makes some people uncomfortable. End of story.

Haven't had any for a long time. Working a job that wouldn't appreciate it too much. But thanks for proving my point!

As an American, I must respect the laws in this country until such time as I can affect their change(i.e. Voting). I have no argument with the statement that both sides of the political spectrum have amassed copious amounts of freedom-hindering laws in an effort to protect the people from their own stupidity.

My point is that one's peaceful judgment must be impaired if they would try to make an honest comparison of carrying a firearm in public (legal) to smoking a joint in public (illegal).

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

Please, lets leave religion out of our discussions unless it is to discuss a religious philosophy and its support for freedom, gun rights, or self-defense. Lets focus on the positive points about people and their faiths rather than the negative.

+1 And that argument was flawed Jehovah's witnesses knock on the doors of Catholics, Scientologists, Mormons, Atheists, Agnostics, and etc. And they for the most part discuss their views or state they aren't interested and part ways.

grishnav

As an American, I must respect the laws in this country until such time as I can affect their change(i.e. Voting). I have no argument with the statement that both sides of the political spectrum have amassed copious amounts of freedom-hindering laws in an effort to protect the people from their own stupidity.

Well then, so long as we are respecting laws, surely you must disagree with the federal prohibition on drugs?

The federal prohibition on drugs is unconstitutional. When alcohol was originally regulated, it was done through a constitutional amendment (and also repealed through one) because the federal government knew that they couldn't legally regulate it. When cannabis was originally regulated, it was done by taxing it and then refusing to issue tax stamps, because the government realized they couldn't legally regulate it directly. The constitution hasn't changed to allow this behavior; the federal government has simply grown bolder in it's disregard for the document.

My point is that one's peaceful judgment must be impaired

...if they believed that it was a good idea to carry firearms in public parks with kids around? Sounds just like something an "rabbid liberal" would say.

Oh wait, there's more here...

if they would try to make an honest comparison of carrying a firearm in public (legal) to smoking a joint in public (illegal).

You're wrong. The two situations (firearm prohibition and drug prohibition) are highly analogous, right down their roots in racism. Both are about individual choices about how to live one's life, and my point is that the "right" can hardly expect the "evil left" to learn some tolerance for their choices if the "right" won't learn some tolerance for the choices of the people on the "evil left." Further, the left votes too, and if we want them to keep their hands off of our guns, we'd better not go around referring to them as "rabid" all the time, as if they are animals out to get us or something.

I think the OP did fine in this situation, but the resulting left-bashing is just disgusting, particularly when it was a gay lefty that got this whole crazy open carry movement going in Washington. For all you know, the woman could have been a die-hard republican that just thought weapons should be kept in the home or concealed and not touted around in the park. (A lot of "right-wingers" do feel this way and disagree with our movement.) We really ought not be bashing on anyone, but if we must, it at least ought to be everyone who is out for tyranny and violence, not just a subset you disagree with, and it ought be a pro-freedom, peaceful message. Not a feeble attempt at characterizing one set of life choices as being correct because "it's the larw, son!"

Last edited:

Metalhead47

+1

And for the record amzbrady, me (the Catholic), my buddy (the Pagan), & the guy across the hall (the Evangelical) used to have some great spiritual discussions back in the day. Usually over a few beers & the occasional smoke. :p

sudden valley gunner

(A lot of "right-wingers" do feel this way and disagree with our movement.) We really ought not be bashing on anyone said:
everyone[/i] who is out for tyranny and violence, not just a subset you disagree with, and it ought be a pro-freedom, peaceful message. Not a feeble attempt at characterizing one set of life choices as being correct because "it's the larw, son!"
+1