Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This one's for the 1911 buffs

This one's for the 1911 buffs

So, I currently carry a G23. Due to some good news I will share as soon as all parties know, I will be coming into a little cash for a new firearm. Currently I am loking at a kimber desert warrior. But some research is making me wonder about how great a kimber would be. I want a 1911 45. I would like and appreciate input and advice from all the 1911 fans on here.

Love Kimber.

I personally loved my Kimber. I sold it to my little brother a long time ago. He still lets me shoot it from time to time.

I have a custom piece I built myself now. It is along the lines of a stock 1911A1. I will post a Pic later.
    ‎"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands; one nation under God, indivisible with liberty and justice for all."

out of the box

but how are they right out of the box? I like kimbers options for customization, but I don't want to "have" to customize to enjoy it.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Kimbers - love 'em or hate 'em - the camp is divided.

As for me after being burned twice, never again. Bought both new, Kimber never could or did fix them, blamed me for limp wristing after saying they did nothing when they obviously had, Ed Brown said they don't work on Kimbers, sold both.

IMO - They're pretty production line guns with erratic quality control and therefore are over rated and over priced.

There are other people that swear by them. Question is do you want to pay your money and take your chances?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Many new Kimbers need to be "broken in" due to tight tolerances. You may experience a FTE every once in a while for the first 500 rounds or so, but as the springs and fittings loosen a little it will go away. Otherwise they are some sexy guns. Shoot like dreams.

I carry a colt that I got "used" It didn't even have any marks on the barrel. I have close to 1000 rounds through it and it is going good so far. Have yet to have a jam but 1000 rounds is not that much.

Banned
    My avatar explains my position clearly. The Custom Eclipse II is a lofty goal for me.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Problems with mine included: Bad swing link, rough feed ramp, cracked MIM part, faulty mag feed lips, weak spring and night sight failure and a few more .

Only own two 1911s right now. A Performance Shop commander S&W and a Les Baer TR - neither has ever, not once, burped, gagged or hiccuped - they shoot identically flawlessly. One cost less than the average Kimber, the other a bit more.

Never seen a handgun tighter than the Baer that would still function - nobody can remove the bushing w/o a wrench and the slide to frame fit is indescribably tight but silky smooth.

ymmv
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

i have had an ultra cdp II for around 8 years. no stovepipes or jams, but i use wilson combat magazines and a wolff mainspring. the factory magazines are known to be unreliable. i have had no issues with it.

the only thing i want to change is the grips. the factory grips beat the crap out of my clothes.
    Last edited by ElectricianLU58; 08-16-2010 at 01:35 PM.

My first 1911, when I have the cash many years from now, will undoubtedly be w/o hesitation a Springfield loaded.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PX9151L.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	3592  

If you are going to eventually get your CPL, I think I would keep the G23 and just get a BUG (Kel-Tec P3AT/Ruger LCP in .380 or Keltec PF9 in 9mm) and stock up on ammo for both... but I am just a little partial to MY G23
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricianLU58 View Post
    i have had an ultra cdp II for around 8 years. no stovepipes or jams, but i use wilson combat magazines and a wolff mainspring. the factory magazines are known to be unreliable. i have had no issues with it.

the only thing i want to change is the grips. the factory grips beat the crap out of my clothes.
    Mine too was an Ultra CDP II. I bought mine in 1998 or 99 and it came with Wison Combat Mags. I only fired 230gr Ball and 230 Remington Golder Sabers through it and had no problems.

OT: On the other hand, don't even talk to me about Para Ord.'s! Been over 10 years and I'm still Irate about these POS pistols and POS cust. Service!
    ‎"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands; one nation under God, indivisible with liberty and justice for all."

Quote Originally Posted by DrTodd View Post
    If you are going to eventually get your CPL, I think I would keep the G23 and just get a BUG (Kel-Tec P3AT/Ruger LCP in .380 or Keltec PF9 in 9mm) and stock up on ammo for both... but I am just a little partial to MY G23
    Oh, a .380 LCP is already in the works! My G23 will still be my main carry gun, I just want a 1911 because I have always wanted one!

I didn't do my research before buying my Para GI, but I have had no issues with it after 500+ rounds. I was worried would the slide crack before 500 rounds.

I cant complain for a impulse buy, but I plan to get another/better 1911 in the near future. When i do get a new 1911 the Para GI will be going to a gunsmith for a few hundred worth of work. It needs all of the trigger and extractor basics, new beavertail, hammer, etc, but I also am going to get the slide refinished (possibly jeweled/engraved, due to holster wear from the serpa and the thumb tang of the safariland). Then once the para is back from the smith I can send the new 1911 off for some work.

Last edited by fozzy71; 08-16-2010 at 02:51 PM. Reason: I too am leaning towards a Springer Loaded. The black version that is similar to the kimber eclipse stainless posted.
    "I like users who quote smellslikemichigan in their signature lines." - fozzy71

i always thought para ordnance were supposed to be pretty nice. they seemed to specialize in double stack 1911's, though. my hands are not big enough for a double stack. my sig p220 is about the biggest grip i can handle.

Their customer service is apparently horrible and some of the guns had slides and extractors breaking. They are cast frames and slides, not forged, even though the salesman I asked told me the para was forged. Needless to say I wont be going back to that store to buy a gun, even though they are OC friendly.

I cant really complain about the gun though. Not a single jam, FTF, FTE, Stovepipe, blah, blah, blah. I shoot a lot better with it than I do my FNP9.

Love my 1911!

I have a Dan Wesson Bobtail Commander in stainless steel. Love that gun! It is my carry gun. I bought it new last year with part of an insurance settlement. The guys at the gun shop told me to be SURE to clean it and lub it well before I ever shot it because of tight tolerances. Not knowing much about guns at the time, I followed instructions and have never had a problem with it. I heard of a gentleman who bought the exact same gun, didn't follow instructions and locked it up halfway through the first box of ammo. I had shot a couple of Kimbers and that's what I was going to buy until I saw the Wesson. I am a woman and I wanted stainless steel to help offset recoil and muzzle flip. Did I mention that it is also very, very accurate? They aren't cheap either, but to me it was worth the price. CZ quit making that particular model this year so you might be hard pressed to find a new one, but could probably find a used one. CZ came out with a new Bobtail, I don't know anything about it. Yeah, it's heavy, but I carry concealed in my purse most of the time because of my work and I don't mind the weight knowing I have my "life insurance" with me!
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world; it's the only thing that ever does.- Margaret Mead

Those who will not fight for justice today will fight for their lives in the future,

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin

I am personally not a fan of Kimbers. They are overpriced for what inferior parts they use in my opinion. If you have enough money for a Desert Warrior you have enough for a Les Baer, Dan Wesson, etc. I'd look in that semi-custom realm rather than a production gun like a Kimber.

Admittedly I'm a Dan Wesson fanboy....

Last edited by sevenplusone; 08-16-2010 at 07:20 PM.

that is really nice looking.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricianLU58 View Post
    that is really nice looking.
    Mine is identical. Really nice shooting, too!
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world; it's the only thing that ever does.- Margaret Mead

Those who will not fight for justice today will fight for their lives in the future,

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin

I am thinking about a 1911 as well, but am putting it off until next year when it will be the 100th Anniversary Editions out.

I too own a Dan Wesson Commander Bobtail...it is THE nicest gun I own and one of the nicest I've ever shot. It was my first 1911 and I fell in love with them.

I got burned once by not doing my research on a gun companies customer service reputation. When I was looking at getting a 1911 I had narrowed it down to Kimber or Dan Wesson. When I searched for CS reviews I came up about 50/50 good/bad for Kimber and the few I could even find on Dan Wesson were all positive. I ended up needing to use the warranty service for something I mucked up and they not only fixed it under warranty, they covered shipping both ways and I had the gun back in my hands in less than 10 days. On top of that when I contacted them I spoke directly with the gun smith and not some office person who doesn't really know anything about guns.

Dan Wesson A++ in my book.

If you don't have or don't want to spend that kind of money I have also had exceptionally good luck with the entry level Philippine made 1911s. I have a Metro Arms made full size that is fantastic. It shoots like a dream, is just as accurate as my $1000 Dan Wesson and has about 1000 rounds through it without a single issue of any kind. They can be had under the name American Classic and come in standard GI and Deluxe models with the commander just being release this year. They also have a full lifetime warranty and the main warranty center, Colorado Gun Works, has a great reputation.

I also have an officer's compact 1911 that is made by Armscor under the brand name Citadel. It had some minor issues out of the box but a call to the warranty smith in Nevada (who was very helpful) and I got them straightened out. It needed a new slide stop and he popped one in the mail and it needed the extractor tuned. I told him I didn't want to send it in so he gave me directions and with those and some instructions I found online I had it tuned in about 10 minutes. I've since run hundreds of rounds through it without a single problem.

The Filipino 1911s do have their share of MIM parts but I don't have a problem with that because they are inexpensive. I do have a problem with a company like Kimber charging a premium price for a gun that has just as many if not more MIM parts than an inexpensive Philippine made gun.

IMO, if you're on a budget and want to get a 1911 either a Metro Arms or an Armscor made one will probably serve you well.

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Banned
    I tried google, but what is MIM?

Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    I tried google, but what is MIM?
    First hit when I googled 'what is mim parts'.

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/i...hp/t-3725.html

This should help.
    Last edited by Mosnar87; 08-17-2010 at 12:18 AM. Reason: fozzy71 beat me to the punch.
    "Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
    —John F. Kennedy

"If a man neglects to enforce his rights, he cannot complain if, after a while, the law follows his example."
    —Oliver Wendell Holmes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast