• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

This one's for the 1911 buffs

Chrome coytoe

So, I currently carry a G23. Due to some good news I will share as soon as all parties know, I will be coming into a little cash for a new firearm. Currently I am loking at a kimber desert warrior. But some research is making me wonder about how great a kimber would be. I want a 1911 45. I would like and appreciate input and advice from all the 1911 fans on here.

Agent1

Love Kimber.

I personally loved my Kimber. I sold it to my little brother a long time ago. He still lets me shoot it from time to time.:lol:

I have a custom piece I built myself now. It is along the lines of a stock 1911A1. I will post a Pic later.

Chrome coytoe

out of the box

but how are they right out of the box? I like kimbers options for customization, but I don't want to "have" to customize to enjoy it.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Kimbers - love 'em or hate 'em - the camp is divided.

As for me after being burned twice, never again. Bought both new, Kimber never could or did fix them, blamed me for limp wristing after saying they did nothing when they obviously had, Ed Brown said they don't work on Kimbers, sold both.

IMO - They're pretty production line guns with erratic quality control and therefore are over rated and over priced.

There are other people that swear by them. Question is do you want to pay your money and take your chances?

Sefner

Many new Kimbers need to be "broken in" due to tight tolerances. You may experience a FTE every once in a while for the first 500 rounds or so, but as the springs and fittings loosen a little it will go away. Otherwise they are some sexy guns. Shoot like dreams.

Slinger

I carry a colt that I got "used" It didn't even have any marks on the barrel. I have close to 1000 rounds through it and it is going good so far. Have yet to have a jam but 1000 rounds is not that much.

stainless1911

Banned
My avatar explains my position clearly. The Custom Eclipse II is a lofty goal for me.
MyGoalWhite.jpg

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Problems with mine included: Bad swing link, rough feed ramp, cracked MIM part, faulty mag feed lips, weak spring and night sight failure and a few more .

Only own two 1911s right now. A Performance Shop commander S&W and a Les Baer TR - neither has ever, not once, burped, gagged or hiccuped - they shoot identically flawlessly. One cost less than the average Kimber, the other a bit more.

Never seen a handgun tighter than the Baer that would still function - nobody can remove the bushing w/o a wrench and the slide to frame fit is indescribably tight but silky smooth.

ymmv

ElectricianLU58

i have had an ultra cdp II for around 8 years. no stovepipes or jams, but i use wilson combat magazines and a wolff mainspring. the factory magazines are known to be unreliable. i have had no issues with it.

the only thing i want to change is the grips. the factory grips beat the crap out of my clothes.

Last edited:

FatboyCykes

My first 1911, when I have the cash many years from now, will undoubtedly be w/o hesitation a Springfield loaded.

Attachments

• PX9151L.jpg
    PX9151L.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 95

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
If you are going to eventually get your CPL, I think I would keep the G23 and just get a BUG (Kel-Tec P3AT/Ruger LCP in .380 or Keltec PF9 in 9mm) and stock up on ammo for both... but I am just a little partial to MY G23 :D

Agent1

i have had an ultra cdp II for around 8 years. no stovepipes or jams, but i use wilson combat magazines and a wolff mainspring. the factory magazines are known to be unreliable. i have had no issues with it.

the only thing i want to change is the grips. the factory grips beat the crap out of my clothes.

Mine too was an Ultra CDP II. I bought mine in 1998 or 99 and it came with Wison Combat Mags. I only fired 230gr Ball and 230 Remington Golder Sabers through it and had no problems.:banana:

OT: On the other hand, don't even talk to me about Para Ord.'s! Been over 10 years and I'm still Irate about these POS pistols and POS cust. Service!:cuss:

Chrome coytoe

If you are going to eventually get your CPL, I think I would keep the G23 and just get a BUG (Kel-Tec P3AT/Ruger LCP in .380 or Keltec PF9 in 9mm) and stock up on ammo for both... but I am just a little partial to MY G23 :D

Oh, a .380 LCP is already in the works! My G23 will still be my main carry gun, I just want a 1911 because I have always wanted one!

fozzy71

I didn't do my research before buying my Para GI, but I have had no issues with it after 500+ rounds. I was worried would the slide crack before 500 rounds. :uhoh:

I cant complain for a impulse buy, but I plan to get another/better 1911 in the near future. When i do get a new 1911 the Para GI will be going to a gunsmith for a few hundred worth of work. It needs all of the trigger and extractor basics, new beavertail, hammer, etc, but I also am going to get the slide refinished (possibly jeweled/engraved, due to holster wear from the serpa and the thumb tang of the safariland). Then once the para is back from the smith I can send the new 1911 off for some work. :D

Para-Pachmayr8-r.jpg

Last edited:

ElectricianLU58

i always thought para ordnance were supposed to be pretty nice. they seemed to specialize in double stack 1911's, though. my hands are not big enough for a double stack. my sig p220 is about the biggest grip i can handle.

fozzy71

Their customer service is apparently horrible and some of the guns had slides and extractors breaking. They are cast frames and slides, not forged, even though the salesman I asked told me the para was forged. Needless to say I wont be going back to that store to buy a gun, even though they are OC friendly.

I cant really complain about the gun though. Not a single jam, FTF, FTE, Stovepipe, blah, blah, blah. I shoot a lot better with it than I do my FNP9.

Ruby

Love my 1911!

I have a Dan Wesson Bobtail Commander in stainless steel. Love that gun! It is my carry gun. I bought it new last year with part of an insurance settlement. The guys at the gun shop told me to be SURE to clean it and lub it well before I ever shot it because of tight tolerances. Not knowing much about guns at the time, I followed instructions and have never had a problem with it. I heard of a gentleman who bought the exact same gun, didn't follow instructions and locked it up halfway through the first box of ammo. I had shot a couple of Kimbers and that's what I was going to buy until I saw the Wesson. I am a woman and I wanted stainless steel to help offset recoil and muzzle flip. Did I mention that it is also very, very accurate? They aren't cheap either, but to me it was worth the price. CZ quit making that particular model this year so you might be hard pressed to find a new one, but could probably find a used one. CZ came out with a new Bobtail, I don't know anything about it. Yeah, it's heavy, but I carry concealed in my purse most of the time because of my work and I don't mind the weight knowing I have my "life insurance" with me!:lol:

sevenplusone

I am personally not a fan of Kimbers. They are overpriced for what inferior parts they use in my opinion. If you have enough money for a Desert Warrior you have enough for a Les Baer, Dan Wesson, etc. I'd look in that semi-custom realm rather than a production gun like a Kimber.

Admittedly I'm a Dan Wesson fanboy....

img0116mk.jpg

Last edited: