• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How to Openly Carry in Concealed Carry Only Places

DoomGoober

If a place only allows concealed carry, I propose wearing a t-shirt that says, "I'm concealed carrying" with a big arrow pointing at where your gun is concealed.

I'm also making a shirt that says, "Open Carry. Ask Me About It" with a big red arrow pointing at my holster. I like engaging with people while OC'ing but most are too shy (or too polite?) to ask or say anything. The t-shirt would be a friendly invitation.

kenshin

If a place doesn't allow open carry then chances are what they really don't allow is carrying in general. So how would a CC shirt help? It's either legal to carry or not, the business either allows carry or not.

Now the OC shirt idea I like. A friendly way to start a conversation.

Notso

Campaign Veteran
If a place only allows concealed carry, I propose wearing a t-shirt that says, "I'm concealed carrying" with a big arrow pointing at where your gun is concealed.

Hmmm, I wonder how anti-open carry states like Texas would react to that? Interesting...... I wonder if you'd likely get your carry license revoked?

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
If a place doesn't allow open carry then chances are what they really don't allow is carrying in general. So how would a CC shirt help? It's either legal to carry or not, the business either allows carry or not.

Now the OC shirt idea I like. A friendly way to start a conversation.

Nope. Business do not decide what is "legal to carry or not." They decide there own policies concerning employees and customers but it has no bearing on the law.

The shirt is a great idea.

Ponch

How about this?

...a T-shirt with a picture of your carry piece, positioned directly over your CC.

amlevin

...a T-shirt with a picture of your carry piece, positioned directly over your CC.

Kind of like those shirts that had "6-pack ab's" airbrushed on them. Hey, then one could have a pic of a Desert Eagle or an S&W 500 Mag on their t-shirt. That would be like carrying a real "cannon" without the expense or weight. On your belt could be a Kel-Tec P3-AT but the picture would provide the intimidation factor.

kenshin

Nope. Business do not decide what is "legal to carry or not." They decide there own policies concerning employees and customers but it has no bearing on the law.

The shirt is a great idea.

Sorry for not making my post more clear. I was not trying to imply that businesses decide what is legal. I was trying to make two different points and did not do a good enough job of separating them.

First, if it's legal to carry anywhere in Washington then it's also legal to open carry. I don't know of any place (correct me if I'm wrong), that it is only legal to CC in and illegal to OC in. So why CC with a shirt that says you're carrying when you could just OC.

Second, if a business is agains OC then chances are it is just against firearms and carrying in general. So, you'll have just the same negative reaction if you CC with a shirt that say's you're carrying then if you were to just OC. So either CC if you want to conceal or just OC.

I just don't see the point in concealing just to wear a shirt that says you're carrying.

Son_of_Perdition

I get what you are getting at.

I like the Idea. How about a shirt that says “ MAN WITH A GUN!” as well.
The "I'm concealed carrying" shirt should be a tight body shirt that is long enough to COVER an obviously holstered open carry holster. You know, to really print the gun well. Oh, oh I know! You can have a holstered gun silk screened on the lower side of the shirt that would conceal the holstered gun. Just have people order the kind of gun they own. i.e. 1911, Glock 19 and so on.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Just remember... in some states its illegal to "print" or "flash" your weapon. I got a stern verbal lashing from a Texas Ranger when I swept my coat open to get at my wallet last year.

Son_of_Perdition

What I meant by Printing the gun is to have a shirt so tight that you could almost read the serial numbers on the gun. No Flashing, brandishing or carrying in any manner that would warrant alarm. The gun would be covered by the shirt that is silkscreened to look like the gun it is covering.

69Charger

I kind of open carry all the time. Even in the shower. LOL :)
Dave
3-20-10024.jpg

amlevin

Just remember... in some states its illegal to "print" or "flash" your weapon. I got a stern verbal lashing from a Texas Ranger when I swept my coat open to get at my wallet last year.

And thankfully WA is not one of them.

"Flashing" your firearm IS illegal, however. Some people love to call it "Brandishing" but that term is not used in WA Law. Terms they use are "display" and "intimidate".

Last edited: