• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Toys R Us - NO FIREARMS

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
This evening at work one of my friends, a new fellow carrier and co-worker alerted me that the local Toys R Us had posted a new NO FIREARMS sign at the entrance to the store that he didn't notice until he was on his way out already having purchased an item or two, but fortunately having not completed his shopping. My pal and I both will be voicing our displeasure to this company that has previously welcomed me and many of us here.

I do have pictures, but will post them once I get home.

Have any of y'all noticed these signs at your local Toys R Us stores?

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
There are multiple reports of OC shopping with no issues spread all over the VA regional report thread and even I was just recently in the local store while OCing. Further someone here contacted the corporate office after the Toys R Us shooting a year or so back and the office confirmed that their carry policy was to allow what applicable law allowed for.

ForceofWill

Ya I've oc'ed in the newport news and greenbrier babies r us with no problems. I also was under the impression that the CEO stated their policy to uphold state laws after that Cali shooting.

ForceofWill

Toll Free: 1-888-266-4043 extension 75
Email: BlueRibbonService2@searshc.com

Toys-R-US

Dear Mr. Ross:

Thank you for contacting Toys R Us regarding the recent tragedy in our store. Naturally, we want our guest's to be safe and feel confident while they are shopping. We adhere to the state law of whatever state a particular store is located in since the governing laws regarding gun control vary across the country. At this time I have not been notified that this will change though I can not guarantee that it won't in the future. I invite you to submit your concerns to our corporate head office for further attention.

Toys R Us
Attn: Gerald Storch (CEO)
1 Geoffrey Way
Wayne, NJ 07470

If you have any further questions or concerns please email us or contact our customer service line at 1-800-869-7787.

Sincerely,

Beverly McCann
Toys R Us Corporate Guest Relations Team

From this thread:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?71026-Corporate-Policies&highlight=Toys

Sorry for crappy copy. On my phone.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Thanks for finding that FoW, I went looking earlier and was unable to use the search function effectively to find that post. I guess I'll have to practice searching a bit more.

As promised here are a few of the pictures. Note that the firearms prohibitions sign is larger than their welcome sign for the handicapped. It seems apparent to me that Toys R Us may make it easy for the handicapped to come in and spend their money, but has no concern for the handicapped being able to protect their own lives while shopping. Too bad.

Attachments

• IMG_1587.jpg
    IMG_1587.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 645
  • IMG_1588.jpg
    IMG_1588.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 446
  • IMG_1590.jpg
    IMG_1590.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 1,409

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
Postcard sent!

toysrus.jpg

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Ed if you haven't sent that postcard, please redo it and remove the top two lines which reference a Sears e-mail address. The poster above accidentally grabbed some bad info (as he indicated) when using his phone to reply.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Here is what I sent to Toys R Us both via their webpage comment form and through their contactus@toysrus.com e-mail address. (I used the 2nd and 3rd pictures above, but only mentioned them in the e-mail.)

Dear Toys R Us Representative,

I was very disappointed with a recent visit to my local Toys R Us, which is located in Lynchburg, VA at 3700 Candlers Mountain Road. As I approached the entrance of the store I observed the sign (pictures attached), which immediately let me know that my business was not wanted. You see I am a person who not only enjoys shopping for myself and others, but also appreciates my gift of life and choose to carry a sidearm for my protection or the protection of my family when I go out and about and at home. I regularly shop in many of your competitors' stores, such as Walmart, Target, K-Mart and have even shopped in this very store for a gift in recent weeks. As I go about my business in these various stores and even local restaurants while carrying my sidearm, I and my family are treated courteously as any other individual and although occasionally a friendly question is asked about my sidearm by workers or fellow shoppers my wife and I are treated hospitably as valued customers, who just happen to appreciate our lives and choose to carry sidearms for our own protection as many other husbands and wives, moms, dads and grandparents do all over the US.

However, since Toys R Us does not extend the same hospitality to me that many of your competitors do, I will no longer do business with Toys R Us until I am confident that I and others like me are again welcome customers in Toys R Us stores. Please reconsider this lack of hospitality and welcome my family and friends again who share a similar desire to go about our lives in peace, but choose to carry our sidearms for protection. If there are any questions that I can answer or information that I can provide please do not hesitate to call or write. I look forward to again being a welcome customer at Toys R Us.

Sincerely,

jmelvin
(jmelvin's e-mail address)
(jmelvin's phone number)

2a4all

Toll Free: 1-888-266-4043 extension 75
Email: BlueRibbonService2@searshc.com

Toys-R-US

Dear Mr. Ross:

Thank you for contacting Toys R Us regarding the recent tragedy in our store. Naturally, we want our guest's to be safe and feel confident while they are shopping. We adhere to the state law of whatever state a particular store is located in since the governing laws regarding gun control vary across the country. At this time I have not been notified that this will change though I can not guarantee that it won't in the future. I invite you to submit your concerns to our corporate head office for further attention.

Toys R Us
Attn: Gerald Storch (CEO)
1 Geoffrey Way
Wayne, NJ 07470

If you have any further questions or concerns please email us or contact our customer service line at 1-800-869-7787.

Sincerely,

Beverly McCann
Toys R Us Corporate Guest Relations Team

From this thread:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?71026-Corporate-Policies&highlight=Toys

Sorry for crappy copy. On my phone.

The law (in Va) does allow a store owner/lessee to prohibit firearms on his/her property. Even if the business is a franchise, the franchisee (the one who operates the local outlet) would be in compliance with a corp policy of "following state law" if they so posted their store.

TFred

The law (in Va) does allow a store owner/lessee to prohibit firearms on his/her property. Even if the business is a franchise, the franchisee (the one who operates the local outlet) would be in compliance with a corp policy of "following state law" if they so posted their store.
I don't think anyone thinks that is what they meant.

TFred

mercutio545

I was asked to leave the Toys R Us by the Regency Mall in Richmond for OC'ing. I think it was last year or so. Haven't been to a TRU since.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
I received this e-mail from Toys R Us customer service this morning. Now we wait to see what the corporate office says. I may swing by the store this evening to see if the posting is still in place.

Dear Mr. Melvin,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. We value all your feedback, positive and negative, as it helps us to understand how our guests feel and gives us an opportunity to evaluate any possible issues. Hearing from you has helped us to do just that. Your comments are important to us, and we have forwarded them to our Corporate Office where they will be reviewed. Again, we appreciate your feedback, and look forward to serving you again in the future!

Sincerely,
Michael Lamoureux
Corporate Guest Relations

*As I am the recipient of the e-mail I choose to share what I have received since y'all are already aware of the issue.