Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: Nice day to mow the lawn

  1. #1
    Regular Member xenophon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    316

    Nice day to mow the lawn - Update: Broken window

    Live on a corner of a busy street in Milwaukee. The grass was getting long, and the weather was cool, so cutting time it was!

    Put the paddle holster on (with pistol of course), tucked in my t-shirt, and went on with my business.

    Got a hello from the neighbor across the street who went out to walk his dog.

    A nice day for carrying and cutting.
    Last edited by xenophon; 08-20-2010 at 01:41 PM. Reason: subject update

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193
    Me too. I agree.

    I mow with a push reel mower about 200 yards of road side plus the grassed portions of my curtilage, my homestead - always armed and I always wave at passers-by.

    It has been so wet recently that I haven't been able to mow regularly. I usually take four days to make the circuit, on one day I mow south of the driveway (yesterday), next day north of the drive (today but for an interruption), another day the (eXtreme backyardŽ) croquet course and then under the clothesline.

    It has been so wet recently that the weeds on the un-kept portion, another 600 feet, need hogging. Maybe Friday I'll start the tractor and hog the road side, then talk to my neighbor about borrowing the finish mower. Last time it threw a $100 drive belt and I'm a bit chary of it. But that's cheaper than owning a $500 mower.

    I am amazed by the number of tourist equestrians that pass. Maybe I'll get a turf roller to level their divots.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    758
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
    Me too. I agree.

    I mow with a push reel mower about 200 yards of road side plus the grassed portions of my curtilage, my homestead - always armed and I always wave at passers-by.

    It has been so wet recently that I haven't been able to mow regularly. I usually take four days to make the circuit, on one day I mow south of the driveway (yesterday), next day north of the drive (today but for an interruption), another day the (eXtreme backyardŽ) croquet course and then under the clothesline.

    It has been so wet recently that the weeds on the un-kept portion, another 600 feet, need hogging. Maybe Friday I'll start the tractor and hog the road side, then talk to my neighbor about borrowing the finish mower. Last time it threw a $100 drive belt and I'm a bit chary of it. But that's cheaper than owning a $500 mower.

    I am amazed by the number of tourist equestrians that pass. Maybe I'll get a turf roller to level their divots.
    You can oc on a tractor?

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Cudahy, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    326
    Quote Originally Posted by Mlutz View Post
    You can oc on a tractor?
    If his property line runs right up to the road, that should make it private property an I would think yes..

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193
    My property line is the centerline of the road. The road is an easement on my property.

  6. #6
    bhancock
    Guest
    Partly on the basis of Hamden, I OC in or on all of my vehicles on my property all the time, as Doug said out to the centerline of the road. My survey map clearly shows my property line right down the middle of the road.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193

    Should the government, any government, be able to own real property?

    How much could I get if I sell my highway easement to the government? Who determines 'fair market value' in re eminent domain, the buyer government or the seller owner?

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    2,247
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
    How much could I get if I sell my highway easement to the government? Who determines 'fair market value' in re eminent domain, the buyer government or the seller owner?
    In any eminent domain deal the government will appraise it and if you want to you can have a private appraiser determine the value. If you cannot reach a settlement then you can go to court and have a jury determine the value. I know of one case where they could not agree on a value and let the jury decide. They determined that the new road raised the value of the remaining property so much that the government did not owe the owner anything and awarded him zero. The government then immediately raised the prpoerty taxes on the remaining property.

    IN the case of selling the easement to the government why would they want to buy it? They already have use of it and you are still paying property taxes on it so there isn't any reason for the government to buy it. Just be glad that you don't have to maintain it like folks in the 1800's did. Up until the early 1900's landowners were required to maintain the roads on their property and those that did not own land were required to help those that did.

  9. #9
    McX
    Guest
    went to open carry while in and out of customer cars here, on private shop property, after reading somewhere in the forum here about car carry exempt on private property. nice to have my protection with me all the time now, and not having to do any excessive dancing, while still complying with the current laws.

    another update to toss in here; our local neighborhood is having a block party, on private property- not mine, they got some web site set up to rsvp to; i asked if i can open carry. no response yet. it should be interesting to see how far this bunch leans to the left.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Cudahy, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    326
    Quote Originally Posted by McX View Post
    went to open carry while in and out of customer cars here, on private shop property, after reading somewhere in the forum here about car carry exempt on private property. nice to have my protection with me all the time now, and not having to do any excessive dancing, while still complying with the current laws.

    another update to toss in here; our local neighborhood is having a block party, on private property- not mine, they got some web site set up to rsvp to; i asked if i can open carry. no response yet. it should be interesting to see how far this bunch leans to the left.
    What about the Beer Issue, I though it was a no no to o c with beer around, even on private property????

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193
    Quote Originally Posted by range rat View Post
    What about the Beer Issue, I though it was a no no to o c with beer around, even on private property????
    LOL I'm drinking a beer, a Capital City Island Wheat provided by an OCDO visitor, with my SA1911 secure in its SERPA on my belt. I will have a glass of wine or two with my dinner.

    I was not interrupted by my visitor so I got all my mowing, planned for the day, done. Tomorrow I will mow the croquet course and Friday I'll bushhog the roadside. Thursday we're riding bicycles (tricycles) to Rowley's Bay for fun and lunch.
    Last edited by Doug Huffman; 08-17-2010 at 06:11 PM.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    North Central Wisconsin, ,
    Posts
    768
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
    LOL I'm drinking a beer, a Capital City Island Wheat provided by an OCDO visitor, with my SA1911 secure in its SERPA on my belt. I will have a glass of wine or two with my dinner.

    I was not interrupted by my visitor so I got all my mowing, planned for the day, done. Tomorrow I will mow the croquet course and Friday I'll bushhog the roadside. Thursday we're riding bicycles (tricycles) to Rowley's Bay for fun and lunch.
    and, Doug sure likes his Capital City Island Wheat. It was nice seeming him today although the boat ride was a bit rough.

  13. #13
    Campaign Veteran Flipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    , Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,140
    Quote Originally Posted by phred View Post
    and, Doug sure likes his Capital City Island Wheat. It was nice seeming him today although the boat ride was a bit rough.
    Capital City (i.e. Madison - home town of elitist & never had a real job in his life Ivy League Grad Jim Doyle - just like Bush I, Clinton, Bush II, & Obamba who stated & thought ... "thinking"...curled upon the ground, with your hands over your head unable to protect yourself or your family"....lets hear it for the next governor of Wisconsin ....Tom Barrett !!!!" )

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193
    Quote Originally Posted by phred View Post
    and, Doug sure likes his Capital City Island Wheat. It was nice seeming him today although the boat ride was a bit rough.
    Thanks, and thanks for the pleasant visit. It's not so much that I like Island Wheat Beer from Middleton, not Madison, but it is one of the last products of the Island and I support the Island economy.

    From the price and availability of ammo that we discussed, I'll take the Island economy over the outside's economy.

  15. #15
    McX
    Guest
    i don't drink when carrying. dang doug, you threw an island luau and didn't invite me?! pig roasting on an open fire, girls running around in grass skirts, you chasing them with your lawnmower. i feel deprived.

  16. #16
    Regular Member hardballer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    West Coast of Wisconsin
    Posts
    925
    Hmmmmm. . .

  17. #17
    Regular Member xenophon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    316
    So this is interesting. Mowed the lawn on a Monday this week. Tuesday night, around 9:20pm, I took the wife out to eat for her birthday. Get a phone call from my folks, who were babysitting, that someone through a rock at my big window by the living room. Broke one of two panes in the double-pane window.

    All they saw was a car drive off, but it was dark out, so no description.

    Just a coincidence that this happens the day after open carrying? Or just damn kids being kids? I live in a semi-decent area, but not the best. Wondering if that brought it on or who knows. Sucks.

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193

    See the Broken Windows Theory under law enforcement studies.

    Both of my well known chiefs of police, Reuben Greenberg of Charleston and Roddy Perry of Mount Pleasant, considered the effect of 'broken windows'.

  19. #19
    Regular Member xenophon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    316
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
    Both of my well known chiefs of police, Reuben Greenberg of Charleston and Roddy Perry of Mount Pleasant, considered the effect of 'broken windows'.
    So was open carrying an act of "lawfulness and order", so they break a window as resistance or disorder? (i.e. open carrying is a catalyst for order).

    Just odd that I live here for years with no problems, and day after open carrying about the yard, I get a broken window from a rock.

  20. #20
    Regular Member TyGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    775
    I will read about the theory, but I OC on my property everyday. Last week my house got egged. I filed a police report in case it happens again.

  21. #21
    Regular Member xenophon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    316
    Quote Originally Posted by TyGuy View Post
    I will read about the theory, but I OC on my property everyday. Last week my house got egged. I filed a police report in case it happens again.

    Same here. A video cam would be nice, but at night, useless for seeing a car :/

    Not going to stop me though.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    223
    A webcam next to a window would work great if you have a motion detector light outside. Webcams work great, but they require as much light as possible for the best images.

    I hope the people who are vandalizing your property are caught.

  23. #23
    Regular Member Motofixxer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Somewhere over the Rainbow
    Posts
    974
    Just gotta have a better vidcam\webcam for low light conditions. My webcam can practically see in the dark, if need be, I can turn on the led's for better light.
    Click Here for New to WI Open Carry Legal References and Informational Videos--- FAQ's http://Tinyurl.com/OpenCarry-WI

    The Armed Badger A WI site dedicated to Concealed Carry in WI

    "To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, Speech of June 14, 1788

    http://Tinyurl.com/New-To-Guns to DL useful Info

  24. #24
    Regular Member xenophon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    316
    Quote Originally Posted by Motofixxer View Post
    Just gotta have a better vidcam\webcam for low light conditions. My webcam can practically see in the dark, if need be, I can turn on the led's for better light.
    Are these wireless cams/webcams? For this front window, it'd need to be wireless.

    I'm hoping this was random though.

  25. #25
    Regular Member Motofixxer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Somewhere over the Rainbow
    Posts
    974
    The webcam I have is wired, but wireless is an option for cameras. The wireless generally speaking don't have as good quality picture, depending on location etc, and they cost more. As for seeing in low light, look and compare the low light or darkness descriptions.
    Click Here for New to WI Open Carry Legal References and Informational Videos--- FAQ's http://Tinyurl.com/OpenCarry-WI

    The Armed Badger A WI site dedicated to Concealed Carry in WI

    "To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, Speech of June 14, 1788

    http://Tinyurl.com/New-To-Guns to DL useful Info

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •