• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Nice day to mow the lawn

xenophon

Nice day to mow the lawn - Update: Broken window

Live on a corner of a busy street in Milwaukee. The grass was getting long, and the weather was cool, so cutting time it was!

Put the paddle holster on (with pistol of course), tucked in my t-shirt, and went on with my business.

Got a hello from the neighbor across the street who went out to walk his dog.

A nice day for carrying and cutting.

Last edited:

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
Me too. I agree.

I mow with a push reel mower about 200 yards of road side plus the grassed portions of my curtilage, my homestead - always armed and I always wave at passers-by.

It has been so wet recently that I haven't been able to mow regularly. I usually take four days to make the circuit, on one day I mow south of the driveway (yesterday), next day north of the drive (today but for an interruption), another day the (eXtreme backyard®) croquet course and then under the clothesline.

It has been so wet recently that the weeds on the un-kept portion, another 600 feet, need hogging. Maybe Friday I'll start the tractor and hog the road side, then talk to my neighbor about borrowing the finish mower. Last time it threw a $100 drive belt and I'm a bit chary of it. But that's cheaper than owning a $500 mower.

I am amazed by the number of tourist equestrians that pass. Maybe I'll get a turf roller to level their divots.

Mlutz

Me too. I agree.

I mow with a push reel mower about 200 yards of road side plus the grassed portions of my curtilage, my homestead - always armed and I always wave at passers-by.

It has been so wet recently that I haven't been able to mow regularly. I usually take four days to make the circuit, on one day I mow south of the driveway (yesterday), next day north of the drive (today but for an interruption), another day the (eXtreme backyard®) croquet course and then under the clothesline.

It has been so wet recently that the weeds on the un-kept portion, another 600 feet, need hogging. Maybe Friday I'll start the tractor and hog the road side, then talk to my neighbor about borrowing the finish mower. Last time it threw a $100 drive belt and I'm a bit chary of it. But that's cheaper than owning a $500 mower.

I am amazed by the number of tourist equestrians that pass. Maybe I'll get a turf roller to level their divots.

You can oc on a tractor? :D

B

bhancock

Partly on the basis of Hamden, I OC in or on all of my vehicles on my property all the time, as Doug said out to the centerline of the road. My survey map clearly shows my property line right down the middle of the road.

PT111

How much could I get if I sell my highway easement to the government? Who determines 'fair market value' in re eminent domain, the buyer government or the seller owner?

In any eminent domain deal the government will appraise it and if you want to you can have a private appraiser determine the value. If you cannot reach a settlement then you can go to court and have a jury determine the value. I know of one case where they could not agree on a value and let the jury decide. They determined that the new road raised the value of the remaining property so much that the government did not owe the owner anything and awarded him zero. The government then immediately raised the prpoerty taxes on the remaining property.

IN the case of selling the easement to the government why would they want to buy it? They already have use of it and you are still paying property taxes on it so there isn't any reason for the government to buy it. Just be glad that you don't have to maintain it like folks in the 1800's did. Up until the early 1900's landowners were required to maintain the roads on their property and those that did not own land were required to help those that did.

M

McX

went to open carry while in and out of customer cars here, on private shop property, after reading somewhere in the forum here about car carry exempt on private property. nice to have my protection with me all the time now, and not having to do any excessive dancing, while still complying with the current laws.

another update to toss in here; our local neighborhood is having a block party, on private property- not mine, they got some web site set up to rsvp to; i asked if i can open carry. no response yet. it should be interesting to see how far this bunch leans to the left.

range rat

went to open carry while in and out of customer cars here, on private shop property, after reading somewhere in the forum here about car carry exempt on private property. nice to have my protection with me all the time now, and not having to do any excessive dancing, while still complying with the current laws.

another update to toss in here; our local neighborhood is having a block party, on private property- not mine, they got some web site set up to rsvp to; i asked if i can open carry. no response yet. it should be interesting to see how far this bunch leans to the left.

What about the Beer Issue, I though it was a no no to o c with beer around, even on private property????

Doug Huffman

Banned
What about the Beer Issue, I though it was a no no to o c with beer around, even on private property????
LOL I'm drinking a beer, a Capital City Island Wheat provided by an OCDO visitor, with my SA1911 secure in its SERPA on my belt. I will have a glass of wine or two with my dinner.

I was not interrupted by my visitor so I got all my mowing, planned for the day, done. Tomorrow I will mow the croquet course and Friday I'll bushhog the roadside. Thursday we're riding bicycles (tricycles) to Rowley's Bay for fun and lunch.

Last edited:

phred

LOL I'm drinking a beer, a Capital City Island Wheat provided by an OCDO visitor, with my SA1911 secure in its SERPA on my belt. I will have a glass of wine or two with my dinner.

I was not interrupted by my visitor so I got all my mowing, planned for the day, done. Tomorrow I will mow the croquet course and Friday I'll bushhog the roadside. Thursday we're riding bicycles (tricycles) to Rowley's Bay for fun and lunch.

and, Doug sure likes his Capital City Island Wheat. It was nice seeming him today although the boat ride was a bit rough.

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
and, Doug sure likes his Capital City Island Wheat. It was nice seeming him today although the boat ride was a bit rough.

Capital City (i.e. Madison - home town of elitist & never had a real job in his life Ivy League Grad Jim Doyle - just like Bush I, Clinton, Bush II, & Obamba who stated & thought ... "thinking"...curled upon the ground, with your hands over your head unable to protect yourself or your family"....lets hear it for the next governor of Wisconsin ....Tom Barrett !!!!" )

Doug Huffman

Banned
Thanks, and thanks for the pleasant visit. It's not so much that I like Island Wheat Beer from Middleton, not Madison, but it is one of the last products of the Island and I support the Island economy.

From the price and availability of ammo that we discussed, I'll take the Island economy over the outside's economy.

M

McX

i don't drink when carrying. dang doug, you threw an island luau and didn't invite me?! pig roasting on an open fire, girls running around in grass skirts, you chasing them with your lawnmower. i feel deprived.

xenophon

So this is interesting. Mowed the lawn on a Monday this week. Tuesday night, around 9:20pm, I took the wife out to eat for her birthday. Get a phone call from my folks, who were babysitting, that someone through a rock at my big window by the living room. Broke one of two panes in the double-pane window.

All they saw was a car drive off, but it was dark out, so no description.

Just a coincidence that this happens the day after open carrying? Or just damn kids being kids? I live in a semi-decent area, but not the best. Wondering if that brought it on or who knows. Sucks.

xenophon

Both of my well known chiefs of police, Reuben Greenberg of Charleston and Roddy Perry of Mount Pleasant, considered the effect of 'broken windows'.

So was open carrying an act of "lawfulness and order", so they break a window as resistance or disorder? (i.e. open carrying is a catalyst for order).

Just odd that I live here for years with no problems, and day after open carrying about the yard, I get a broken window from a rock.

TyGuy

I will read about the theory, but I OC on my property everyday. Last week my house got egged. I filed a police report in case it happens again.