• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Remington ‘security’ 8-shot 12-ga. Shotgun

BerettaFS92Custom

google werks great

Hey guys, i know this isnt a hangun, but i need your input. Is this shotgun a very good quality? Is it a good deal?

I know that CA passed a law requiring tumbprints for buying ammos. Is that law effective now?

thanks

click on the link, its the 1st gun on the top right hand side.

http://big5sportinggoods.shoplocal....gle&storeid=2503790&rapid=962251&pagenumber=3

does not state if 870 or if junk made in china and on the gun it says "for use in the republik of Californication, no firing pin included." how in the hell does anyone want to live in a communist state? i give a crap it is a beautiful state in some areas but now thumb prints guess they commies that run the state want total control. would be funny for everyone to leave there and we put a fence up along the border states and keep the politicians in there kind of like cage wrestling. anway here is your answer....

February 1st, 2011 handgun ammunition vendors will be required to obtain a thumb fingerprint and driver's license from buyers

good luck and enjoy your severely restricted lifestyle out there. May God help you all........

Don Barnett

Remington "Security" Shotgun?

Hey guys, i know this isnt a hangun, but i need your input. Is this shotgun a very good quality? Is it a good deal?

I know that CA passed a law requiring tumbprints for buying ammos. Is that law effective now?

thanks

click on the link, its the 1st gun on the top right hand side.

http://big5sportinggoods.shoplocal....gle&storeid=2503790&rapid=962251&pagenumber=3

I am not sure about this, but I think that the manufacturers picked up on the fact that people wanted short barreled, slide action shotguns for home defense. The Remington 870 is one of the best "garden variety" shotguns around, so if it was an 870, the ad would say so. I would assume it is a cheaper model made in China; I don't know.

My brother bought a New England Firearm (NEF) "Security" shotgun from Dick's Sporting Goods in the Peoples Republic of Maryland. He likes it and says it shoots fine, but he was only at shooting plastic water bottles from the hip, not skeet. It was $200.00, so I think the price is VERY high.

You would be better off buying the Remington 870 and then purchasing an separate short barrel...in my opinion.

Dreamer

The Remington "Security" is an 870 variant. It has a shorter barrel (18" I believe) and a 8-shot tube. It can fire 2 3/4 and 3" shells, but is not rated for Magnum loads. You can shoot anything through it except rifled slugs.

The receiver is a standard 870 receiver. The barrel is a littl eon the cheap side, because it's not designed for the heavy use and abuse of hunting or trap/skeet shooting. It's designed for DEFENSE--meaning it's not designed to shoot all the time.

But it IS a Remington 870, which means it should be a good gun. You can probably get a better price on it though. Shop around.

Look at the Mossberg 500 "Field/Security Combo" model (#54169). I got one with wood furniture, and it came with an 18.5" AND a 28" vent-rib, ported barrel so I can use it for hunting/sporting and defense. And if you want it REALLY short, it also comes with a factory pistol grip (polymer). It has a 6-round tube though, so it's only a 6+1 shotgun, and the Mossberg design requires replacing the barrel if I want to install a longer magazine tube. But I think that 7 rounds of 12ga are probably about 6 more than most folks are going to need in a typical home-defense situation...

http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=3&display=specs

I got it for a tad over $300, and it is a VERY nice gun. Two barrels, smooth action, and the wood furniture helps keep the "tacticool" factor low in case I ever have to face a hostile DA. And since it sits in the house most of the time (or is only on the range outside when the weather is nice, for shooting "5-Stand"...) the wood furniture is holding up perfectly.

You might also check out Gunbroker.com. You can get some FANTASTIC deals there--even with the shipping and transfer fees added on...

Last edited:

Dreamer

Mossberg 590 is better in my opinion . it's used by the Military, in combat roles.

Without a doubt the Mossy 590 is a better gun than the 500. The receiver is beefier, the sights are better, the barrel is heavier, and the forearm rails are much more stout. It's a "battle-grade" pump gun, and it built like a tank...

It also costs about 2.5 times what a box-stock 500 does...

For now, I'm VERY happy with my Mossberg 500. It's solid, accurate, easy to clean, and has almost as many aftermarket goodies as a Remington 870 if I want to go that route...

But yeah, a Mossberg 590 is DEFINITELY on my "wish list"...

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
I just picked up another one, {{ I already have one }} this one is ( gonna be a christmas gift for my brother) from the gun store used for $ 295.00, like new condish. new they go for about $ 500 ish

Last edited:

SavageOne

Aquila mini shells?

Did anyone ever try any of the Aquila 1 3/4 mini shells? I saw them around for awhile and then they seemed to disappear. I do recall that certain brands had to have slight mods. to fire them(I think Mossy). I just thought for home defense they might make more sense. You don't need a wide spread for home defense. I was just wondering if anyone had any first hand experiance with them.

Last edited: