• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Remington ‘security’ 8-shot 12-ga. Shotgun

flb_78

muzzle velocity is 336fps. does anyone else think this may lead to inadequate penetration?

Im thinking that's a misprint because the slug does 1250fps.

Technical Information
Gauge: 12
Shell Length: 1-3/4"
Slug Type: Lead Rifled
Slug Weight: 7/8 oz

Ballistics Information:
Muzzle Velocity: 1250 fps

Trekker

Those mini's look interesting, although I don't think I'd use those for self defense loads:

"MOSSBERGS 500/590s will cycle Minishells pretty well once the shooter acquires a "feeling" as to how to pump the action; however, this will not prevent the occasional jam. "

The occasional jam is unacceptable to me... the 500 is chambered in 3" 12 ga., by using 2 3/4" 12 ga., I can load 5 in the tube one in the chamber. I figure with 6 rnds total, if I can't hit my target, I might as well give them my firearm.

45acpForMe

I had at 20" 870 4+1 and went out and got the tactical 870 6+1 with 18" barrel.

Shortly after that I saw mag extensions were available for 7+1 and 8+1 for about $70.

I had my local gunsmith file down the "dimples" inside my 870 mag tube and added the 3 extension for 7+1. Turns out I probably could have gone with the 8+1 extension because of the length of my barrel but didn't want to take the chance that the mag tube would extend beyond the barrel.

So if I knew about the mag extension first I probably wouldn't have paid the $300 for the 870 tactical (including shipping and transfer).