• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Great (if odd) OC Incident Today

ZackL

Well, technically, at this point, it was yesterday, but yeah.

Anyway, I was out car shopping with my brother yesterday and we went into the consignment lot on Pikes Peak. I was OCing, as usual, and after we test drove one of the cars there, we went in to return the keys and plates. When we walked in we talked to the owner there for a few minutes about the car and he asked how I liked the Ruger I was wearing. From there the conversation spiraled into a gun discussion and it ended up with me basically pimping Ruger (I do love my P95 lol). Finally, he asked if I wouldn't mind letting him look at and handle it. We were alone, it was my brother and I and him there so I figured there was no harm in it. After I unloaded the gun and handed it to him we talked for a few more minutes while he handled it and saw how he liked it.

It was a bit strange, but at the same time it was a very good experience. It seemed that he knew a bit about OC, but he also seemed intrigued by the idea when he saw me out just going about my daily life OCing. Anyway, I just wanted to share the experience with you all.

afcarry

Well I'm not sure I would have given it to him, but sweet. That's a personal decision. Another supporter added to the ever growing list. Hopefully hell start OC too and spread some awareness.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
Well, technically, at this point, it was yesterday, but yeah.

Anyway, I was out car shopping with my brother yesterday and we went into the consignment lot on Pikes Peak. I was OCing, as usual, and after we test drove one of the cars there, we went in to return the keys and plates. When we walked in we talked to the owner there for a few minutes about the car and he asked how I liked the Ruger I was wearing. From there the conversation spiraled into a gun discussion and it ended up with me basically pimping Ruger (I do love my P95 lol). Finally, he asked if I wouldn't mind letting him look at and handle it. We were alone, it was my brother and I and him there so I figured there was no harm in it. After I unloaded the gun and handed it to him we talked for a few more minutes while he handled it and saw how he liked it.

It was a bit strange, but at the same time it was a very good experience. It seemed that he knew a bit about OC, but he also seemed intrigued by the idea when he saw me out just going about my daily life OCing. Anyway, I just wanted to share the experience with you all.

I'm sorry Zach, but if I was in your shoes even if we were having a good conversation, I would've replied to his asking to handle my gun with, "the only two reasons my gun ever comes out of the holster are if it's being put away, or if I'm about to use it." Use a little more common sense please and don't take out your gun and let people that you don't know handle it in public (even if there is nobody around).

Gunslinger

Inside talking to the owner seems like a reasonable place to let him look at your pistol. You unloaded it, so you were sure it was safe. A friend handed me his AK-47 last week to take a look at with a full mag. Surprised me when I dropped the mag and worked the charging bolt to show clear, which it was. Surprised him too...Even when I watch a weapon being cleared before handed to me, I do it all over again. And I not only clear but lock the slide back or leave the action open when handing one of my guns to someone to look at.

HvyMtl

Hmm. I know and understand the want to show how OC is a great thing. It is.

The concern I have is this: In certain areas, you may have (unintentionally) broken the law by merely drawing the firearm in public. (Sad, isn't it?) Was it in a publicly accessible area, or an area where the public can view?

Make 100% sure it is legal to do so before you do it. (Note: I may not agree with the law, and its concept of trying to keep me and others safe, I just have to live within it, till it is improved...)

This fellow's intent was clear, but had his intent not been, you would have been unarmed...

My suggestion: Next time do not draw. Ask them kindly and politely to understand, but it is a safety issue, and you want to ensure the safety of those around you, or you would not be carrying in the first place... If it is about a specific firearm, give them as much info as you can, like a website, and where they can get one for a good price...

I do hope the owner goes pro-OC. It sounds like your discussion was polite, informative, and honest. +1

Last edited:

Kingfish

This is a major reason we OC (education.) Great job!!

Finally, he asked if I wouldn't mind letting him look at and handle it. We were alone, it was my brother and I and him there so I figured there was no harm in it. After I unloaded the gun and handed it to him we talked for a few more minutes while he handled it and saw how he liked it.
Yeah, I have no problem with this at all. No biggie.

HvyMtl said:
The concern I have is this: In certain areas, you may have (unintentionally) broken the law by merely drawing the firearm in public.
Not in Colorado. And besides, it was not "in public". It was private property.

cscitney87

I agree that the firearm shouldn't leave the holster, in public. I agree that, in a private setting, allowing another individual to inspect your pistol is just fine. Personal choice.

In Public- Nope- don't even touch it. In Private- It's none of my business what you do with your pistol.

ZackL

Okay, to clarify. This was in the office at the lot. It's not like it was on the hood of a car. I saw it as appropriate because the owner not only owns the business and is one of two operators (his adult son is the other), but also owns the property to my understanding. Also, even though the office is glass clad, it is not clearly visible to the passing public because of the large vehicles in front of the office. I stand by the assertion that this was a personal decision as I did unload, clear, check, double check even after the round dropped into my hand and held on to the ammo. Had there been another customer on the lot, I would have chosen to not allow him to handle the firearm. However, I feel that the situation was safe enough for me to disarm and I don't think that there was an issue. I apologize to those who feel that this was inappropriate, but I do still stand by the fact that it was a personal decision and I wouldn't hold it against anyone.

mahkagari

Why am I the only one that thinks this is not appropriate?

It's a matter of personal preference. I wouldn't hand someone my gun, but it's mainly because I don't know that they'll treat it with respect and not pound it on the table or something to see how "sturdy" it is. If I've unloaded and locked the slide back, it's not like there's a GREAT chance they have a magazine behind the desk that fits my exact gun and caliber. What's he going to do, point the empty gun at me and demand the magazine? Inside a car dealership's office is a little different than inside the gangbanger's house in Training Day where "looking at" the gun turned into disarming for an ambush.

YMMV, but the important question is: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?78953-Horizontal-shoulder-holsters

Gunslinger

Okay, to clarify. This was in the office at the lot. It's not like it was on the hood of a car. I saw it as appropriate because the owner not only owns the business and is one of two operators (his adult son is the other), but also owns the property to my understanding. Also, even though the office is glass clad, it is not clearly visible to the passing public because of the large vehicles in front of the office. I stand by the assertion that this was a personal decision as I did unload, clear, check, double check even after the round dropped into my hand and held on to the ammo. Had there been another customer on the lot, I would have chosen to not allow him to handle the firearm. However, I feel that the situation was safe enough for me to disarm and I don't think that there was an issue. I apologize to those who feel that this was inappropriate, but I do still stand by the fact that it was a personal decision and I wouldn't hold it against anyone.

Like I said, no big deal.

jhco50

I had a similar experience today. I was in Walmart (my wife works there) looking for a TV. A young man came up and we discussed TVs and prices. After deciding on which one I wanted and paid for it, he ask me if I was carrying a .38 caliber. I said yes and he asked why. I told him I mainly wanted to see what would happen and also for SD. He told me he had a 45 Colt and was wanting to get a concealed carry permit. I told him he should and we ended up discussing the differences in OC and CCPs. It was a good discussion and my wife just shook her head. What do wives know (just kidding). :lol: He even carried the TV to my truck for me.:D

XD40coyote

A month ago I hosted an OC dinner in PA. During the dinner I saw that someone had unloaded their carry gun and it was being shown to some of the other guys. We were in a seperate banquet room and the guys were huddled like football players. I didn't see anything unsafe going on, so I decided to not start bitching and moaning about it. There were a few other seasoned OCers there, and none of them said anything either as far as I know.

[putting on my flame suit]

ooghost1oo

I don't think touching a firearm in public is a taboo, at least not with consenting parties.

Once I met a guy outside the Rockyard Brewpub in Castlerock to buy a shotgun. We talked about the gun, and I looked it over, handled it, etc., in a public parking lot. No big deal.

Would it be the same if one guy was showing his knife to another? It's not brandishing or anything. And I'm sure if the cops were called for some reason, explanation would suffice, likely with the cop 'suggesting' against doing something that could 'upset the peace' in public.

Like Kingfish said, 'no biggie'.

logan

Campaign Veteran
Doing what you did may have gotten another person to join the minority and start OCing. I think it's all personal preference. As long as you trust the person who you are talking to, and it's in a private place, then no big deal.

In WI I have to unholster and unload the gun everytime I get into a vehicle, and load and holster when I get out...so I have to handle my gun a lot! So I don't see the harm in showing somebody, as long as there's nobody around that would take offense to it.