• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Friday is new toy break in at Logan

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Yep I speeeeeled it right this time LOGAN which is about 10 miles north of Troy aka Silex.

Leaving at about 6am to go pick up two of them black rifles with stainless bull barrels and tossing a cheapo red dot on top for the break in of the barrels and sight em in to see how they do, don't expect stellar results out of the cheap holo's but likely better than just shooting them flat top!

If I get time this week might toss a few hundred 45's together just to exercise the "gun snob" 1911 a bit as well.

Due to things beyond control, this trip may indeed not come to fruition. I have to travel about 3 1/2 hours to pick these babies up and if the 4473 comes back with some delay I shall have to drive home in disappointment and come back another day. I have only been delayed once but buying two at once may make them stare at me for 10 days lol.

I expect to be at the range by noon and there for several hours assuming all goes well. If not, I will post "canceled" with frownie faces!

Anyone who wants to come around is welcome, after the first couple of hundred for break in, will just be plinking at random. Anyone with my number is welcome to call and check status, expect to have them before 10:00 am excluding any issues.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
lol gotta tell us what your new toys are:p especially for us with the black rifle disease:p. what brand and are there any difference between the two you are geting or are they the same thing?

5.56 mixed breeds, picking up multiple parts and assembling them before heading to the range. (I know, assembling in the back of a jeep defies reason but I REALLLLLLY wanna shoot em! Stainless non fluted 20" bull barrels on both. Bull barrels suppose to be .5 MOA at 100)

Came real close to just going DPMS fully assembled but hey, putting it together is half of the fun.

One will be cheapo red dot for now, both flat top receivers the other will have a 50mm 6x24 range finder IR scope and after the funding recovers, a PV2 night vision second generation will replace the red dot with an elevated rail going under the 50 mm scope for faster acquisition.

Lookin in the 400 to 600 meter range.

Call them a work in progress that will take more than a few trials and errors to become tweaked.

They say a boat is a hole in the water to throw money into and JEEP means Just Empty Every Pocket and since those AR's are black I figure they are going to be huge magnets sucking dollars for a while, but hey, ain't on crack or booze and the wild women are faster than me so guns and shootin it is!!

Ar-10 is next, would really like to build a 308 that could reach out to 800-1000 meters but for now the sisters will have to do! My buddy is every bit as stoked and we mich actually get the girls to go, I know mine really thought the red dot was cool (not sure why the one on my friends 44 was not as cool, but likely caused by the xml2 laser on my XD flipping her wig, women, who knows!)

I would suggest you come on up for a fun time, but I have no way to be sure if the batf is gonna make me make the drive twice and would hate for you to head this way only to find the old boring 1911 going boom. I am leaving everything else home to keep focused on breakin them barrels in, wanna try and keep em consistent temperatures for the first couple hundred rounds.

Last edited:

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
And you are welcome as anyone cash. I know I tweaked your chain real hard because of my own issues and I have said I am sorry both pvt msg and on the boards. You might not understand it, but to me it all dies within the thread it happens in, if it does not work for you, that's fine and I understand, just wanted to say hey made a mistake and let you know your totally welcome to join if you so choose.

silo

Damn I wish I was off tomorrow! I need to get up there soon.. no restrictions, right? Love to go up there and just pop off a good $50 worth of 9mm, haha.

goalseter88

well sounds like if you dont have to wait, you will be having a great day tommorow.

you say your going to build your ar15, how much do you have to invest money wise in tools to be able to build one?
and what brand of barrels did you get? i just bought a new rock river ar15 and its 3/4moa at 100 yards was best i found. most others were 1in at 100 yards. i might have to look into that one if i ever have to get a new barrel.

yah if i knew for sure you wouldnt have to wait, i consider coming up. sounds like we both had the ar15 urge lately. i picked my new ar15 up last friday.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Well that is why i said "supposed" to be .5, I am not going to gamble a ton of money on that. If it was a Krieger or a Les Baer I might, but I believe it is a DPMS on both with DTI uppers. It is a know a guy who knows a guy kind of thing so the packages were not hand selected by myself, I just said heck yeah, lets give em a shot and see what happens. Even if they do not perform at that level, for the minor coin in em, I would be thrilled with holding 2" groups of three at 100 which is really about all I can do without a lot of practice. Last time when I advertised we were going , it took me 10 rounds to start hitting clay pigeons consistantly with my 3030, I was just all over the place. Had to stand up to correct bad habits and get the sling right.

Not a thing wrong with those RRA ar's at all.

Tools cost me nada really as it is really just a few punches which I have a few hundred (whole family has always tinkered with cars and I worked in an auto shop for about 4 years during and after high school, you know when they had carbs and points :)

The armors wrench is handy and a decent one is under 30 bucks. They are a lot like 1911's don't have to have a lot of tools to fool with em.

Trying out some new polymer lowers hence to very much alike.

These are CHEAP excluding the bull barrels, not a thing fancy, no high dollar triggers, nada, cheap collapsible stock the whole shebang.

I talked to the guy about doing the 4473 on Monday just to be sure, but since I have not done business with him before, I really do not want to lay out the cash until I can take the gun, Not saying a word bad about him or implying it, I just like deals that go here is your money/here is your stuff. I doubt there is a chance of delay, my last name is not popular by any means and I have no criminal record at all, I should just get a PIN but at the same time, who wants to give the government more than they already have!!

I will likely get down your way to see grandma and will toss some toys in the truck, we can meet up at the range in pleasant hope if it is still there lol.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
BTW, I am not sure if you were just talking or what, but there are some seriously accurate ar's available, its a matter of how much coin one is willing to part with. The Baer barrels are off the chain.

http://www.precisionfirearms.com/14.html?sm=98046

"This is our custom built AR-15 6.5 Grendel upper assembly with Les Baer Cut Rifled stainless steel 24 inch barrel. 24 inch heavy bull barrel with 1-8 twist! What you see is what you get! Massive Precision CNC Billet Upper receiver with Forward Assist, Shell Deflector, and Port Cover. Bolt is matched and properly headspace checked to barrel. This barrel is among the best barrels we have ever seen. This upper assembly is capable of shooting .25-.50 moa with match ammo! DOES include Les Bear Chrome National Match carrier, and Tactical charging handle. "

But your also talkin 1300 bucks for the upper only.

Again like 1911's, its a matter of what you want to spend. A 19111 goes for 400 through about 5,000 bucks. Ar's can be assembled for about 650 all the way through perhaps 5,000 I guess I am not sure, 3k buys one heck of a nice one.

Like I said, I am not sure but I have no ill intent with this post, if you did not know there were brands that shot small MOA I was just giving you a path to them, there are indeed others, but like the baer, they are the price of a good used car lol.

There is nothing fancy about the ones I am getting beyond the barrel which IMHO is the critical part of an ar since the chamber is part of it. Lots of coin on the lower may be cool, but what the heck, I will try these out and if they do not suit me, I can sell em.

goalseter88

yah i checked more of the main brands. With those less known brands, i be skeptical of buying them since i dont know anyone to confirm that they are a good gun. and i got with some of the high power competition shooters, and they also recomended the rock river ar i got or a bushmaster.

and yah the price was a bit more then i wanted to pay at the moment, so mabye when i ever have to change barrels, i will look more into some of those smaller companies and give them a shot.

well my gf's dad going to be disapointed then, he thought he have to buy a lot of tools just to make the gun. and he didnt want to put the money into the tools and then have no use for them after he is done building.

yah the pleasant hope range is still there. Not much to it, but it is there.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Glad you did not waste any gas, freakin DELAYED so had em shipped to FFL back close to home and will pick up this week.

I am so freakin frustrated with the stupidity of the system. 0 criminal history, pretty obscure last name, no one in entire family with criminal history since we came over on the boat 4 generations ago, have several past purchases of new arms bla bla bla.

I think I will look into and work on whatever it takes to get a upin, this was a HUGE pain.

I am also HUGE mad at two local FFL's that were less than helpful despite being a long term client. one of them I have spent at least 4 or 5k with in the last two years and would have been spending 2 to 5 hundred on goodies related to my new 5.56 caliber. I am seriously considering taking it all up to the counter and just before they start ringing it up ask them if they recall the phone call today and the crappy attitude they gave me about buying stuff from someone else when they do not even carry AR lowers and were going to charge 80 bucks! I am beyond furious with them and they have lost a client.

I might upload picks of my bottomless toys sometime tonight.

Though lots seem to put more into it like an OC event, I really do not, however I will list the places I went while waiting for stuff to get done:

Midway USA to get accessories, Mc Donalds to go potty, Hardees for breakfast, had the buffet at pizza hut in some town about 70 miles east of St Joe and stayed for about 1.5 hours burning time to see if the FBI still hates me, found out they did and arranged shipping to an FFL I have never done business with, got gas at some off brand green pump gas station in Hannibal, potty and a coke at hardees in close to Hannibal.

No excitement at all, but then again I was paying no attention to others, my buddy said that a couple of folks at pizza hut looked at me kinda weird and whispered, I did not really notice because I was mad that the delay happened.

silo

Anyone got any info about Logan range? I'm maybe going to take a friend who's going into the Army there on Sunday, but I don't know anything about it. Are there restrictions? Are there safety officers? Any idiotic rules like Busch, etc. Any help would be appreciated!

goalseter88

well silo i sure LMTD can answer that. but i never been there so sorry.

and that sucks LMTD for having to wait. that would piss me off too. but i not sure which would of pissed me off more. the delay, or the FFL dealers attitude. i mean i half expect the goverment to screw me over on the delay etc. so atleast that is not that suprising, but for someone that i giving them my business to act like an ass towards me, dosent make since. a lot of gun buyers are repeat buyers, like you stated you been to him, why give your customer a reason to stop coming to you. i mean you went to him for what he had. and if he dosent carry lowers, then what he really expect you to do? even if he could order them, you have to wait for them.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
It is an unmanned range, five or six concrete benches so take something to lay guns on, I use furniture pads. there is an outhouse up at the camp ground but it is kinda nasty so think about the ladies if attending. It is 25, to 75 yards by my guess, I have never measured them. Supposed to be paper targets only but lots of folks shoot lots of stuff there. I do break that rule, but I also make it a point to clean p far more trash than I bring and I set clays up on the birm myself as well as paper. Some folks shoot tvs, phones and computers, I do not, that is some dangerous littler left behind and I wish they would not do it. Most folks clean up real good but some do not.

I have seen one ranger come through in 15 or so trips, he was a nice guy, we were shooting cans, he did not say a word, but could have.

Be very careful and watch the firing line close. I have never seen unsafe handling there myself but have heard others speak of it, we did have an incident last trip where a man was still down range and the folks on the 25 yard line started to draw a bead, they were quite startled when I yelled at them as was the guy down range when he realized why. It all ended well, and no shots fired. You just have to remember to watch more than your own table when you have folks down range.

I enjoy going there as you have the freedom to rapid fire and it is far less formal than Busch or antire road.

cash50

And you are welcome as anyone cash. I know I tweaked your chain real hard because of my own issues and I have said I am sorry both pvt msg and on the boards. You might not understand it, but to me it all dies within the thread it happens in, if it does not work for you, that's fine and I understand, just wanted to say hey made a mistake and let you know your totally welcome to join if you so choose.

I don't spend my time worrying about it. But no I coach football and Friday is a big day for us.