• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

You guys may have a visitor open carrying a banana

eastmeyers

I suppose I see your point.

As for the super soakers, that is ridiculous. I understand that it's just water, but I would be seriously pissed if some random person soaked me at a festival. A friend surprising me in my front yard when I can go inside and change clothes is one thing, but seriously? That's just childish. What would be the possible charges brought against someone who did that at ABE?
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(om...t&objectName=mcl-750-167&highlight=disorderly

Disorderly Person
MCL 750.167
THE MICHIGAN PENAL CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 328 of 1931

750.167 “Disorderly person” defined; subsequent violations by person convicted of refusing or neglecting to support family.

Sec. 167.
(1) A person is a disorderly person if the person is any of the following:
(a) A person of sufficient ability who refuses or neglects to support his or her family.
(b) A common prostitute.
(c) A window peeper.
(d) A person who engages in an illegal occupation or business.
(e) A person who is intoxicated in a public place and who is either endangering directly the safety of another person or of property or is acting in a manner that causes a public disturbance.
(f) A person who is engaged in indecent or obscene conduct in a public place.
(g) A vagrant.
(h) A person found begging in a public place.
(i) A person found loitering in a house of ill fame or prostitution or place where prostitution or lewdness is practiced, encouraged, or allowed.
(j) A person who knowingly loiters in or about a place where an illegal occupation or business is being conducted.
(k) A person who loiters in or about a police station, police headquarters building, county jail, hospital, court building, or other public building or place for the purpose of soliciting employment of legal services or the services of sureties upon criminal recognizances.
(l) A person who is found jostling or roughly crowding people unnecessarily in a public place.
(2) When a person, who has been convicted of refusing or neglecting to support his or her family under this section, is then charged with subsequent violations within a period of 2 years, that person shall be prosecuted as a second offender, or third and subsequent offender, as provided in section 168, if the family of that person is then receiving public relief or support.

I am sure their are more charges, such as assault, but I can not find the definition of "simple assault" in Michigan.

B

Bikenut

"
My protest will be like all other protests I have ever mounted: viz. in the spirit of passive resistance. Who was ever harmed by a banana? Unless you were to push an under-ripe one into someone’s eye, it is an innocuous fruit on the face of it.

So stay tuned, banana fans. I’ll be out there on this Labor Day weekend seeking confrontation with the Open-Carry missionaries"

http://www.freep.com/article/201008...-to-bear-banana-not-gun-at-fest#ixzz0wsm1lcR1

Interesting... a supposed pacifist will intentionally incite confrontation using an item (a banana) that he knows could be used as a weapon under certain circumstances.

The passive/aggressive hypocrisy contained within his statements is off the charts!

The fact that there are other people who think his actions are justified and wish to support him by doing the same thing is exactly what I expect from Leftists.

It is my opinion that Leftists/Progressives suffer from a mental disorder called....... Me! ME! It's all about ME!!!! And everyone WILL submit to ME!!!

Pitiful...

By the way.... I wonder what the outcome would have been had our ancestors tried to fight off the tyranny of King George using bananas instead of guns. Would this misguided .... ummm... person... now have the freedom to make a fool of himself with a banana?

Last edited by a moderator:

Chrome coytoe

Not trying to offend.

As strange as this sounds, I put this in the same class of action as anti-abortionists killing doctors while talking about the sanctity of life. (I am not saying I am for or against abortion, so I hope no one is offended at this analogy)

He is wanting to have everything peaceful and quiet (not like OCers would hinder that, but I digress), so to make that happen, he is going to intentionally cause trouble.......I don't get it.

lapeer20m

i support his right to carry a banana as there is no law that prohibits such activity.

as for his conduct while carrying said banana, i hope he chooses to act in a responsible manner.

i do not want him to loose his rtkbf (right to keep and bear FRUIT)

Last edited:

sultan62

Regarding the poster who was against having contacted the police about this-it is a potentially bad situation. Given all the publicity, some people, including cops, will likely be on edge. This guy has only talked about pointing to it, but given his already childish behavior, is it so hard to believe he might draw it? Doing something that stupid could get him shot by LEO or LAC.

Furthermore, he is going out with the intent to harass others. Sounds justified to me.

kwikrnu

Banned
Regarding the poster who was against having contacted the police about this-it is a potentially bad situation. Given all the publicity, some people, including cops, will likely be on edge. This guy has only talked about pointing to it, but given his already childish behavior, is it so hard to believe he might draw it? Doing something that stupid could get him shot by LEO or LAC.

Furthermore, he is going out with the intent to harass others. Sounds justified to me.

That logic would suggest that people call the cops on gun owners who have open carry picnics to protest illegal bans and harrassment by cops. You never know what those armed people can do. Some armed people have drawn their guns and killed.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
interesting they should choose to open carry a banana since that's the fruit of choice for those who are disarmed by the laws in california... they may be inadvertently showing solidarity with the california OC brothers...:banana::banana:

Last edited:

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Folks this guy is trying to make a point, that I get, but what I don't get is his way of doing it seeing he is a former priest? I would suggest those that OC at this event also carry a non lethal item such as MI approved CS/Pepper spray. There are those that will be trying to provoke law abiding carriers in any way they can. They have shown from their comments that they could give a rats backside about the law or for that matter the constitution!

This is "banana man":

Attachments

• HarryCook.jpg
    HarryCook.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

sultan62

That logic would suggest that people call the cops on gun owners who have open carry picnics to protest illegal bans and harrassment by cops. You never know what those armed people can do. Some armed people have drawn their guns and killed.

Wrong.

Furthermore, he is going out with the intent to harass others.

That makes it a big difference, since he said

I’ll be out there on this Labor Day weekend seeking confrontation with the Open-Carry missionaries.

kubel

Instead of taking this all seriously and offensively (which I'm sure is what he's wanting out of it), I think I'll play along and shop around a few grocery stores to buy the largest banana I can possibly find. Either that or get one of them mini bananas. Hold it up and just be like, "yep, you win". :)

CharleyMarbles

Instead of taking this all seriously and offensively (which I'm sure is what he's wanting out of it), I think I'll play along and shop around a few grocery stores to buy the largest banana I can possibly find. Either that or get one of them mini bananas. Hold it up and just be like, "yep, you win". :)

NICE ! ! ! ! ! I like the way you think :)

jm62383

I was personally considering just Ocing my Performance Center S&W 500. I feel he may be hard pressed to find a banana that would compete:)

Chrome coytoe

I understand how everyone here is feeling about this guy, but I just want to say 2 things.

First, I know its frustrating for all of us, even those of us (like myself) who are not in the area of RO. However, we are doing exactly what he wants us to do right now. We all know that anti's lurk here, and a lot of the posts here (no disrespect to anyone) really wouldn't show us in a positive light, or they could taken out of context with more ease than other threads. I think the longer this thread goes on, the more potential problems it could cause. I respect what everyone here has said, this is just my 2 cents.

Second, How dare you call this guy Banana man! I remeber the cartoon, and this guy isn't near as cool as the original banana man. But if he shows up in the blue and yellow spandex suit and cape, game over!