• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

You guys may have a visitor open carrying a banana

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.freep.com/article/201008.../Royal-Oak-man-to-bear-banana-not-gun-at-fest

I am girding up my loins to plunge into the man swarm at the Labor Day weekend street festival, the revelry of which will make my city unbearable to quiet pursuits. I will stride among the masses with a good-sized banana strapped to my belt, and, whenever I come upon an open-carrier with his piece, I will point to my fruit and say, “Hey, buster, mine’s longer than yours.”

Two thoughts immediately come to mind.

1) We should not allow this guy (or others like him) to get under our skin and goad us into confrontations / debates.

and

2) Someone might want to let the police know what he intends to do since 'drawing' down on people who might not see that it is a banana he is drawing is a dangerous provocative act.

Just a few thoughts.

John

malignity

2) Someone might want to let the police know what he intends to do since 'drawing' down on people who might not see that it is a banana he is drawing is a dangerous provocative act.

Agreed... however, can you brandish a banana?

Though the charge would get thrown out, he'd still have to hire a lawyer for the initial shock of being taken to court.

Hell, maybe I'll open carry a banana on one side and a firearm on the other, just in case I get hungry.

Last edited:

wrightme

Agreed... however, can you brandish a banana?

Though the charge would get thrown out, he'd still have to hire a lawyer for the initial shock of being taken to court.

Hell, maybe I'll open carry a banana on one side and a firearm on the other, just in case I get hungry.
He shouldn't worry about charges. He should worry about trigger-happy cops.

PDinDetroit

Information Provided to Royal Oak Police Chief and Oakland County Sheriff

Christopher Jahnke, Royal Oak Police Chief

Mr Christopher Jahnke,

I have been made aware that Mr Harry Cook, a Royal Oak Resident, will be Open Carrying a Banana at the Arts, Beats, and Eats Festival with the intent of confronting/harassing those who may be Open Carrying a Pistol. I believe this course of action violates Royal Oak Disorderly Conduct Ordinance 278-6. In addition, the Detroit Free Press publishing this Commentary may incite others to do the same.

Please review the following news article for details of his plan of conduct.

http://www.freep.com/article/201008.../Royal-Oak-man-to-bear-banana-not-gun-at-fest

Sincerely,

PDinDetroit

sultan62

I like how Carriers have done nothing but point out the illegality of the clause and that's supposed to be so evil. Then along comes Mr. Cook, planning an intentionally disrupting and harassing act against law abiding citizens. Let's actually think critically about the possibilities of those intending to carry at the festival, shall we? I promise, this will be short. Plus you don't really have to think all that critically unless you're just against guns in general. In which case you'll only have to think critically to break the mold you've set for yourself.

What options did OCers have?

0. Don't carry to the festival, or don't go at all. Give up the right acknowledged (not given) to you by the US and Michigan Constitutions, and your right to self-defense, or don't go.

1. Say nothing, and carry to the festival. (For anyone not familiar with OC or reading this thinking "Why would they carry at all?' Remember, we carry everywhere. This is a matter primarily of personal defense.)This likely would have resulted in multiple lawsuits against the city of RO.

2. Send in a couple of letters to the Mayor, PD, etc. This would also likely have resulted in multiple lawsuits against the city of RO. However, my guess is that punitive damages would have potentially been significantly higher, since there is evidence they knew in advance that what they were doing was illegal.

3. Send in a couple of letters to the Mayor, PD, etc. When no action is taken, go to multiple community meetings. Act with complete respect and dignity, even when you are not shown the same by the elected officials who are supposed to serve you. Go back, increasing in numbers, until the correct, legal action is taken. (On a side note, I still can't believe the vote was so close. I believe it was the Mayor who said he didn't like the decision, but the law was clear.) In this way, the city of RO has time to amend the contract. Everyone involved in the event, as well as local police and government, is educated (whether formally or through the media) that OC is legal, and any chance of harassment goes down drastically.

kwikrnu

Banned
I don't see anything wrong with they guys plan. The guy wants to protest, he says he is going to carry a banana, he says he is going to point to it, and he says he will say his is bigger than yours. Some OCDO member should carry a large holstered handgun. I haven't seen a banana bigger than a puma bounty hunter, pps43c, vector v51p, ak or ar pistol, plr-16, bushmaster carbon, thompson 1927a1 pistol, thompson contender, etc.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
Christopher Jahnke, Royal Oak Police Chief

Mr Christopher Jahnke,

I have been made aware that Mr Harry Cook, a Royal Oak Resident, will be Open Carrying a Banana at the Arts, Beats, and Eats Festival with the intent of confronting/harassing those who may be Open Carrying a Pistol. I believe this course of action violates Royal Oak Disorderly Conduct Ordinance 278-6. In addition, the Detroit Free Press publishing this Commentary may incite others to do the same.

Please review the following news article for details of his plan of conduct.

Sincerely,

PDinDetroit

Great job!

PDinDetroit

"
My protest will be like all other protests I have ever mounted: viz. in the spirit of passive resistance. Who was ever harmed by a banana? Unless you were to push an under-ripe one into someone’s eye, it is an innocuous fruit on the face of it.

So stay tuned, banana fans. I’ll be out there on this Labor Day weekend seeking confrontation with the Open-Carry missionaries"

http://www.freep.com/article/201008...-to-bear-banana-not-gun-at-fest#ixzz0wsm1lcR1

Maybe I should have a little discussion with him on Luke 22:36, seeing as how he was a Priest.

EM87

Why would it be necessary to write to the chief of police about a heckler? Is that not just something we, as mature adults, can ignore if it happens? I find it embarrassing that that email was sent. This is really something we can deal with ourselves, by ignoring him.

ghostrider

Harry Cook said:
...My protest will be like all other protests I have ever mounted: viz. in the spirit of passive resistance.

Read more: Royal Oak man to bear banana, not gun, at fest | freep.com | Detroit Free Press http://www.freep.com/article/201008...-to-bear-banana-not-gun-at-fest#ixzz0wsfJTBue

followed buy this.

Harry Cook said:
So stay tuned, banana fans. I’ll be out there on this Labor Day weekend seeking confrontation with the Open-Carry missionaries.

http://www.freep.com/article/2010081...#ixzz0wsfJTBue
You sir, are a liar.

ghostrider

Why would it be necessary to write to the chief of police about a heckler? Is that not just something we, as mature adults, can ignore if it happens? I find it embarrassing that that email was sent. This is really something we can deal with ourselves, by ignoring him.

There are times when it's best to let the police do their jobs. We are not against police activity, just those that violate individual rights. What this man is doing is stating his intention to purposely harass others. He is "seeking confrontation" with people who carry guns. That is unlawful (not to mention potentially dangerous considering the type of mindset of someone who would intentionally seek confrontation with a clearly armed man), and therefore contacting police on this matter is appropriate, as it is a police matter.

PDinDetroit

Sure, we can ignore him, just as we do the other sheep. Because this was posted on the internet, there will be far more than just this one guy, as I am seeing other comments sections of news articles calling for people to carry a super-soaker and squirt guns to use on Open Carriers.

We also do not have to put up with harassment either.

278-6 Harassment
A person commits the offense of harassment if, with intent to harass, annoy or alarm another person, he or she:

A. Strikes, shoves, kicks or otherwise touches a person or subjects him or her to physical contact;

B. Follows a person in or about a public place or places; or

C. Engages in a course of conduct or repeatedly commits acts that alarm or
seriously annoy another person and that serve no legitimate purpose

EM87

I suppose I see your point.

As for the super soakers, that is ridiculous. I understand that it's just water, but I would be seriously pissed if some random person soaked me at a festival. A friend surprising me in my front yard when I can go inside and change clothes is one thing, but seriously? That's just childish. What would be the possible charges brought against someone who did that at ABE?

March Hare

Is that a banana in your pocket or...

I would just look at him, laugh and say 'my wife would disagree with that!'

I'd call my wife over and say 'wow, have you ever seen one this big? It's huge!'
Hey everyone, look at this guy's fruit, isn't it huge?
Make a big fuss over his 'fruit' and make him feel stupid.
I know she'd go along with it and really rub it in, so to speak.

Sounds like fun to me, even better if his friends are recording it.
Better yet, record him and put it on youtube!

*hums Banana Phone song* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5C6X9vOEkU

But, that's just my twisted sense of humor...

-MH

Last edited: