• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Appearance is everything!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bailenforcer

This post will most likely upset a few, but I think it not only needs to be said, but on a regular basis it needs to be repeated.
Now I am one who can dress anyway I damn well please, and often I don't care what others think. But when I open carry I know I am a large billboard representing every single person who is involved in Open Carry, and everyone who wants to open carry, or has even considered it.
So when I open carry I go out of my way to make my appearance look as if I am harmless, and someone to not be feared. I have seen some who open carry and look like they have not showered in weeks. They wear clothes that look like they have never seen a washing machine. I told this was going to upset some, but if so they need to get over themselves. Now I fully realize some people don't have a tailor, or mommy to wash their clothes. But a little effort and one can become one of the great washed as opposed to the other. Also dressing in gang banger style is in my world unacceptable, these few need to grow up and be a man as opposed to trying to impressed the local 13 year old MTV gang banger wanna bee's.
Now this doesn't mean I think you should wear a suit and tie and if what you read so far lead you to this conclusion, you need some remedial English classes. One can wear jeans and short of just leaving work at the foundry, can wear clean jeans that have been washed within the last week. And for GOD's sake try and wear a shirt that doesn't look like you just pulled it out of a bodily orifice. One can wash and dry clothes wrinkle free if they remove them from the dryer within a few minutes of the dryer stopping and hang them on hangers. This will ensure nice wrinkle free clothes.

Why am I belaboring this? I have seen some of the open carry crowd in Michigan and a few are in need of a dress code. This is common sense and shouldn't be dismissed. When I open carry I make sure I look good and that ain't easy as ugly as I look. But seriously folks, we need to set a standard since we are in fact representing each other. And for the sake of all human kind please quit wearing your baseball caps backwards, it doesn't make you look tough, it makes you look like some kind of idiot who can't figure out a simple baseball cap!

I know quite a few have talked to me in PM's here, in team talk, on the telephone, emails, and in person and this issue was brought up by others than myself. So I know it bothers a number of people, but why so many are afraid of bringing it up is beyond me. So here it is, I am raising the bar for those who can't grasp a simple concept that how you look is in FACT how people judge you. I have raised this with less than subtle hints in a few posts of mine, now I am in your face with it. We need to act as if we are serious and dress like men, not dirty children. I know there are only a few who are dressed like I have complained about, but you few stick out like a sore thumb at events. If you are that poor I will start a fund for bath soap shampoo and detergent.

Okay now you can whine, bitch complain how I am making personal attacks like the few of you do with nearly every post I make.

Last edited:

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
Well said!
This post will most likely upset a few, but I think it not only needs to be said, but on a regular basis it needs to be repeated.
Now I am one who can dress anyway I damn well please, and often I don't care what others think. But when I open carry I know I am a large billboard representing every single person who is involved in Open Carry, and everyone who wants to open carry, or has even considered it.
So when I open carry I go out of my way to make my appearance look as if I am harmless, and someone to not be feared. I have seen some who open carry and look like they have no showered in weeks. They war clothes that look like they have never seen a washing machine. I told this was going to upset some, but if so they need to get over themselves. Now I fully realize some people don't have a tailor, or mommy to wash their clothes. But a little effort and one can become one of the great washed as opposed to the other. Also dressing in gang banger style is in my world unacceptable, these few need to grow up and be a man as opposed to trying to impressed the local 13 year old MTV gang banger wanna bee's.
Now this doesn't mean I think you should wear a suit and tie and if what you read so far lead you to this conclusion, you need some remedial English classes. One can wear jeans and short of just leaving work at the foundry, can wear clean jeans that have been washed within the last week. And for GOD's sake try and wear a shirt that doesn't look like you just pulled it out of a bodily orifice. One can wash and dry clothes wrinkle free if they remove them from the dryer within a few minutes of the dryer stopping and hang them on hangers. This will ensure nice wrinkle free clothes.

Why am I belaboring this? I have seen some of the open carry crowd in Michigan and a few are in need of a dress code. This is common sense and shouldn't be dismissed. When I open carry I make sure I look good and that ain't easy as ugly as I look. But seriously folks, we need to set a standard since we are in fact representing each other. And for the sake of all human kind please quit wearing your baseball caps backwards, it doesn't make you look tough, it makes you look like some kind of idiot who can't figure out a simple baseball cap!

I know quite a few have talked to me in PM's here, in team talk, on the telephone, emails, and in person and this issue was brought up by others than myself. So I know it bothers a number of people, but why so many are afraid of bringing it up is beyond me. So here it is, I am raising the bar for those who can't grasp a simple concept that how you look is in FACT how people judge you. I have raised this with less than subtle hints in a few posts of mine, now I am in your face with it. We need to act as if we are serious and dress like men, not dirty children. I know there are only a few who are dressed like I have complained about, but you few stick out like a sore thumb at events. If you are that poor I will start a fund for bath soap shampoo and detergent.

Okay now you can whine, bitch complain how I am making personal attacks like the few of you do with nearly every post I make.

fozzy71

Oh cool, now you have to be well dressed to be able to defend yourself. Perhaps you could suggest the best religion for all OC'ers also, so they fit your mold of a proper OC'er?

Last edited:

Taurus850CIA

Oh cool, now you have to be well dressed to be able to defend yourself. Perhaps you could suggest the best religion for all OC'ers also, so they fit your mold of a proper OC'er?

This has been discussed to death in the past. I'm even guilty of suggesting such a thing, probably two years ago. In my opinion, the main point is cleanliness. I am certainly not "well dressed" when I carry, but I'm clean. That is habit in general, though. Shower, shave, put on clean jeans and t-shirt. I'm also rather plainly tattooed. That in itself is enough to get some folks stirred up about whether I ought to carry openly. To each their own.

Gort

Big Brother is watching ?

I know people have opinions, and everyones rant sounds like a bitch, But I don't dress like a yuppie, I am a biker, some people don't like bikers, but this is what I look like. I think it is one of my rights. It would be a wonderful world if everyone looked like me. Oh My God, He's Got A Gun.

fozzy71

I agree, it would be nice if everyone were clean, well groomed, and dressed nicely, but....... this is America. They have the right to wear a gun and dress/groom like a bum if they so choose. You telling them there is something wrong with it is no different than those lib-tards in RO telling us to leave our guns home.

Taurus850CIA

I agree, it would be nice if everyone were clean, well groomed, and dressed nicely, but....... this is America. They have the right to wear a gun and dress/groom like a bum if they so choose. You telling them there is something wrong with it is no different than those lib-tards in RO telling us to leave our guns home.

This is true, Fozzy, which is why it should remain as nothing more than a suggestion.

autosurgeon

If you will notice the OP mostly was talking about clean!

If you are a biker and that is how you dress fine just be clean about it!

If you are a yuppie fine just be a clean and neat yuppie!

IF you are a Gang Banger wanna be...... :uhoh: get help!!:lol:

If you like jeans and white t-shirt no biggy just wear clean ones.

You know I fully understand the issue here and that saying some one cannot exercise a right unless they dress a certain way or act a certain way can come off as elitist. However we are in a battle of ideology with our enemy the anti. And we know that first impressions are important and how we look has much to do with first impressions.

I look at how I dress as part of the armor I wear against harassment. And I feel part of the reason I am able to get my point across to so many people is BC they are not afraid of me ... mostly BC of how I look and of course act.

When you look and act like an average Joe and not like a nut you will be received far better and the gun on your hip is far less of an issue.

Some mentioned tattoos... well again if you are dressed neatly and look clean most people are not going to be worried by them... on the other hand if you looked like you slept in the storm sewer .... then people are likely to be concerned... and not as apt to be receptive to the OC position.

As was mentioned we are ALL ambassadors.. we need to remember that.

Last edited:
B

Bikenut

Such a simple concept....

When a person wants to sell a product/idea at a meeting to board members of a prestigious company he dresses in a manner that will present himself.. and, by extension, his product/idea.. in the best light possible in hopes that board will accept his product/idea so he can make money on it.

Or the guy can dress like a slob, show up for the meeting looking like he just got done with a 3 week drinking binge, act like a dork, and be kicked out of the meeting. And fail in his goal to sell his product/idea. Then complain how unreasonable and stupid the board members/company is.

When a person wants to sell the public on the concept that openly carrying a sidearm is nothing to be feared hoping the sidearm/2nd Amendment rights will be accepted........... it is advantageous to dress the part and behave in a manner that will help the sidearm/2nd Amendment rights be accepted so he can realize his goal of making guns in public a normal everyday thing.

Or the open carrier can dress like a slob, look like he just got done with a 3 week drinking binge, act like a jerk, and get kicked out of businesses/ridiculed by the general public. And fail in his goal to sell the public on normalizing guns in everyday life. Then complain how unreasonable and stupid the public is.

You decide which of those is most productive.

stainless1911

Banned
Rights belong to everybody. Open carry does too. Open carry represents everyone, mechanics, carpenters, food workers, as well as the doctors and lawyers. I wouldnt hesitate to OC with painted in clothes, or hands covered in grease from working on a car, or painting something.

If we really cared about what people thought, we wouldn't OC.

There are many times that I was crawling around under a car, dirty and greasy, and needed to go to the store for this part or that, and got lunch while I was out. OC the whole time.

Last edited:

ElectricianLU58

fozzy, comparing the trampling of a persons constitutional rights to telling someone to present themselves in a good light are two different things.

a lot of the media is on the ABE story right now. it would be a good thing if OC'ers make an effort to look squared away while the attention is on the issue.

autosurgeon

Rights belong to everybody. Open carry does too. Open carry represents everyone, mechanics, carpenters, food workers, as well as the doctors and lawyers. I wouldnt hesitate to OC with painted in clothes, or hands covered in grease from working on a car, or painting something.

When it is obvious that the person is dirty from work ... no big deal... when it they are dirty BC they haven't washed in weeks...

All I know is there is a difference and I can tell!

fozzy71

fozzy, comparing the trampling of a persons constitutional rights to telling someone to present themselves in a good light are two different things.

Of course, hence the 'devil's advocate' in my edit line.

I just don't feel ANYONE should tell ANYONE how they should dress, groom, or present themselves. I understand the idea behind the OP, and that presenting yourself in a professional manner will reflect well on OC as a whole, but opinions are like assholes, everyone has one, and they all smell like ****.

Last edited:

JamesIan

The OP seems like a lot of work for little benefit. IF someone is a slob to start with, do you really think this post is going to caus ethem to reconsider their life and change? I am not offended, but I do find the gist of the whole post pretty paternalistic. I, for one, find my opinions of me and my attire the most important. If I never wanted anyone to think poor of me, I'd eat fewer doughnuts and never OC.

Gort

OK, Ive got it.

Playing the Game

Game Rules
1.Look Respectable
2.Smile
3.No Dark Sunglasses
4.Head UP, shoulders back
5.Stay Out of Pfz
6.Gun Must be acceptable to all
7.The Cops are always right
8.Do not carry at family events.

I must go now, back to the Libtard forum for more rules. Ill Be Back

March Hare

Just my .02 worth....

I think it's not so much about what you wear or the style of dress you choose, it's more about how you present yourself to the general public.

It's been my personal experience that when you go out armed, it puts the general public on alert, for whatever reason.
How you act/react to them can either make them more tense or put them at ease.
Regardless of how you are dressed, if you act like a civil, rational member of society, it will help put the image of gun carriers as everyday, average people in more peoples minds and help, not hurt the cause.

I'm involved with Boy Scouting and I always tell the scouts that when they put on their uniform, whether class A or B, that by their actions they are representing not only themselves, but Boy Scouting as a whole.
I believe the same holds true here, regardless of how we are dressed, we represent gun carriers everywhere to the general public.

Dress the way that makes you comfortable, just remember that the antis are watching and will pounce on and amplify anything they can, let's not give them anything to distort.

Well, enough of my rambling, carry on and be safe!

-MH

Status
Not open for further replies.