• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

News and Record moronic letter to the editor brings out the anti tools

farkles

My post below is placed here for you all to read since I am worried N&R might pull it down because I called this guy out, although last article they were not too bad. I have posted the post I was responding to as well.

""Capt. Spaulding
August 17, 2010 - 12:01 pm EDT

I truly feel sorry for all the folks who are so afraid of evil befalling them that they actually feel the need to arm themselves.

“Paranoia is a thought process heavily influenced by anxiety or fear, often to the point of irrationality and delusion. Paranoid thinking typically includes persecutory beliefs concerning a perceived threat towards oneself. Historically, this characterization was used to describe any delusional state. “

A pretty accurate definition of everybody who purchases a gun for “self defense”, you poor-poor people who live in fear, they make pills for that I think.

Try counseling before you accidentally kill a family member, which statistically you stand about a 1 in 20 chance of doing, where as you stand about a 1 in 10000 chance in being burglarized, 1 in 250000 of being burgled while at home. You better hurry up as well since the FBI combined criminal statistics for this year show that violent crime has again dropped for NC, if you don’t get your blue steel security blanket pretty soon you won’t be able to rationalize it.

I use my guns for bird hunting, but I have no delusions about protecting my home from some unseen unnamed evil person, in fact I don’t fear too much of anything other than drunk drivers and crazies shooting off their guns at shadows and killing the wrong people.
""

""
Spaulding, do you have the slightest idea of what you are speaking? It appears not.

You actually claim that if you own a gun you have a 1 in 20 chance of accidentally killing a family member? Do you like spouting complete worthless lies to try to scare other people into paranoia...Pretty sure you should read your post above and focus on your problem with paranoia from us gun owners.

1 in 20 you say...somewhere around 300 million privately owned guns in the US (http://www.truthbehindpolitics.com/2010/07/22/top-9-causes-of-accidental-death/). Are you claiming that 15Million people per year kill a family member accidentally?

If you cared about facts at all you might have researched a little bit more before typing anything (count to 10 backwards).

43,000 people died of vehicle accidents in 2000
13,000 people died of falling
3,800 drowned
3,000 died in surgery
776 died of accidental firearm discharge....out of 300 Million guns

You want to re-think your insane data?

These same flaws relate to your entire post, so it should be nearly disregarded. About our ownership of guns because we are obsessively paranoid: I suppose that since your house is unlikely to be burgled, you have not installed locks on your doors right? I guess since you house is probably not going to burn down, there is no reason to install smoke detectors or keep a fire extinguisher on hand (in fact you should probably bring your propane tank inside the house to be safe). The average person isn't likely to be in a sever car crash, so there is not really a need for seatbelts or have airbags installed. Come to think of it, I guess it is a waste of our tax dollars to even have a police force or fire department since all these things are so rare. When someone dies or a house catches fire, oh well, it is rare, so we will just excuse it.

Obviously the rational reasonable people can follow me at this point and realize you lost your mind by telling us we are delusional and hyper paranoid. Our gun is simply a means of defending ourselves if we ever need it (hopefully we never will) at some point in our life.
""

Corst01

Nicely done. Thank you for posting an eloquent and fact-based response for those of us who cannot yet do so.

Last edited:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
A common thread in a Liberal Ideas is the "I said it first" defense. they are paranoid, so they accuse you of it. If you say it back, it just looks like a thoughtless retort. They plan it that way because they know their argument is indefensible and this deflects attention from their position so they don't have to defend the indefensible. They use their own projection to their advantage. They have to. They consider nothing but themselves. They have no resource to draw upon but their own selfishness, so they use it well.

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
These people piss me off....

Capt. Spaulding got the last post in.... Then I composed my response. I clicked the "submit" button, only to get the message "The comment period for this post has expired". I want to scream.... I never got to post my response.

It amazes me how so many assume that something magical happens when you combine the badge with the gun. How they think that suddenly you become an expert shot. I find it to be highly insulting that these morons think that folks like us are more likely to shoot a family member than a burglar. Here is the exact quote:

I don't live in fear, and frankly if you heard gunshots in your condo complex and it took 10 minutes for the police to show up I think you have a good case for asking the police why it took that long, but having a gun doesn't make you a bit safer after shots have been fired, and you are more likely to kill a family member than repel some burgler.

WHAT IN THE FRICKIN' WORLD IS THIS GUY SMOKING?!?!??! My god, that is insulting! :cuss::banghead:

I want a cold beer now :eek:

kwikrnu

Banned
If we are paranoid so were the founding fathers. They believed guns might be necessary to revolt against a government which might oppress the people.

I'm not advocating a revolt just pointing out that the founding fathers were paranoid.

elixin77

I was going to throw a post of my own up for discussion there as well, but when i went to open a new tab, I accidentally hit one of my bookmarks on my toolbar, and I lost my post.

The author is an idiot, and its nice to know that at least some of the other posters know it too

papa bear

i wonder if when capt. (of what?) Spaulding is excersizing the privilege of bird hunting, does he holler, " look out, their attacking, shoot! shoot!"
he just reminds me of the uber-elite that think that they are so much better than anyone else

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
Am I missing something or have the comments simply disappeared from the page now? http://www.news-record.com/content/2010/08/16/article/second_amendment_taken_far_out_of_context

Does this always happen? Why do they want to get rid of our running comments?

I've always thought it was odd how they automatically close the comments on an article 15 hours after it posts, but this takes the cake. I don't think this is SOP for them.... One can only assume that they took down the comments because the two of us & mekender posted too much truth for the hoplophobes to be able to handle. It became a health hazard in that it could have potentially induced an aneurysm for one of the gun-grabbers.

farkles

Not sure how I knew, but I knew they would delete everything, that was why I pulled my comments over here. What a bunch of morons. What a worthless paper that feels the need to hide from comments posted but leaves up the LTE that we were disputing.