Thread: Granholm won't fight law that allows open weapons at Arts, Beats and Eats

Granholm won't fight law that allows open weapons at Arts, Beats and Eats

Granholm won't fight law that allows open weapons at Arts, Beats and Eats
    http://detnews.com/article/20100817/...Beats-and-Eats
    Granholm further stated it made no sense to allow weapons at a family event.

"They should be able to control their environment the way they see fit," she said. "It's a common sense thing."

What part of the law does she not understand?

And so many of you say she supports gun rights, while she openly states she doesn't believe in preemption and doesn't see why guns should be at a family event. It's also apparent from her comments that if she thought she could get a bill to expand the pfz's she would,doesn't sound very 2A friendly to me.

Quote Originally Posted by detroit_fan View Post
    And so many of you say she supports gun rights, while she openly states she doesn't believe in preemption and doesn't see why guns should be at a family event. It's also apparent from her comments that if she thought she could get a bill to expand the pfz's she would,doesn't sound very 2A friendly to me.
    I am not taking her side at all. But, leaving my personal feelings out if it, I take those quotes with a grain of salt. Its very easy to misquote or take things out of context. To me, it almost sounds like a conflicting statement. We all know how things can be twisted in the paper.

I won't say she supports it. I will say based on her AG opinions and her actions she has not fought it either. She believes in the law and follows it as is.

Quote Originally Posted by sprinklerguy28 View Post
    I won't say she supports it. I will say based on her AG opinions and her actions she has not fought it either. She believes in the law and follows it as is.
    Just like the mayors comments last night, he does NOT support us, but he DOES support the law, and that is why we got his vote on our issue.

(Don't we already have a thread for Arts Beats and Eats? I know I sound like a broken record but it is not fair for people who are trying to fallow a certain issue, in one spot to have to jump around to twenty DIFFERENT threads. I thought this was commonly agreed upon by most here...)
    "Bam, I like saying bam when I cite something, in fact I think I shall do this from here on out, as long as I remember.
    Bam!" - eastmeyers

"Then said he to them, But now he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his sack: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
    Luke 22:36
    God Bless

I have contacted the Governor via a Citizen's Request Form so I can provide further information to her office. I will let you know if I am contacted.

Please rembember, there is no mi. law that gives us the right to open carry! conversely there is no mi. law against it!

Looks like RO attorney Gillam's plea for an emergency change in Michigan's firearm laws fell on dead ears. Sorry, bud.

Quote Originally Posted by sprinklerguy28 View Post
    This is exactly it. When she originally ran for AG, she said that her job in an opinion was to interpret the law, not "make the law". Although I do not agree with her personal views, I have often said that she did a good job as AG because she read the law and did what it said. In fact, I personally have been in a similar position before and it is not easy to put your personal beliefs aside and to remain "officially neutral".
    Think about what the firearm laws would look like if some Supreme Court Judges would have the ability to put "beliefs" aside when interpreting the law. Or, even better, that reporters for ANY news organizations would report what actually happened instead of pontificating and flagrantly expressing their beliefs as "objective reporting"... what a better world we would live in.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Jenny was all about interpreting/enforcing the law when she was AG, but has been all about making it up as she goes along as guv.

Like her deal with the home healthcare workers with the union Cherry used to work for? Couldn't get a law passed so they just went ahead by executive fiat. If the legislature sent her a bill to restrict carry she would sign it. If they sent her a bill reducing carry restrictions she would probably sign it. The fact that she's not a rabid anti doesn't mean she supports the right. Plus she is a realist - this is a non starter in this state. Even our liberal urban bastions of Democrat party minions support gun rights because they are fighting for their lives in the lovely neighborhoods of Detroit, Flint, and Ponticrack

I personally wouldn't open carry at ABE, I have a CPL and carry concealed 97% of the time, but I recognize the value of forcing these municipalities to face the reality of the law when they arbitrarily violate it because of their emotional and uneducated mindset - you guys did RO a huge favor by dealing with this ahead of time instead of having to sue them later, they should be thankful. As should be the many CPL carriers who are also now "legal" at ABE because the ban included them (just as illegally as it did for OC)

We really need to get the PFZ's eliminated for the CPL, Were they to do that, I would probably not open carry again, I like surprises!

Banned
    Although she said that support for a ban would be unlikely, I sincerely believe that we are the last generation who will be allowed to use our rights to open carry, and that open carry will be banned in short order.

Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    Although she said that support for a ban would be unlikely, I sincerely believe that we are the last generation who will be allowed to use our rights to open carry, and that open carry will be banned in short order.
    Heck stainless, why don't you get a head start and stop OCing right now. I'm sure nobody here will mind.
    Last edited by scot623; 08-18-2010 at 12:10 PM.

No legislator will touch this issue at this point in time with elections coming up. However, there are many local municipalities and groups both civic and professional chomping at the bit to get the law changed to allow them to become the moving force in gun control. Imagine how difficult it would be to fight ever increasing gun control if it happens in every little whistle stop all over Michigan?

However we need to be aware that this issue of changing the law to allow local municipalities to enact gun control measures that will effectively stifle the right to "keep and bear arms" into non existence most definitely be a hot button issue shortly after the election dust settles.

Folks... we have just barely begun.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    No legislator will touch this issue at this point in time with elections coming up. However, there are many local municipalities and groups both civic and professional chomping at the bit to get the law changed to allow them to become the moving force in gun control. Imagine how difficult it would be to fight ever increasing gun control if it happens in every little whistle stop all over Michigan?

However we need to be aware that this issue of changing the law to allow local municipalities to enact gun control measures that will effectively stifle the right to "keep and bear arms" into non existence most definitely be a hot button issue shortly after the election dust settles.

Folks... we have just barely begun.
    Oops!

I was one of the ones who fired the first shot.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by scot623 View Post
    Heck stainless, why don't you get a head start and stop OCing right now. I'm sure nobody here will mind.
    This kind of attitude will make for an easy victory. - And you said that I was bad for the movement. lol

I would have to disagree. I think that in the next few years, we will begin to see people OCing as more common and more accepted. We may be fighting now, and we may always be fighting, but I feel the winds change blowing in our favor.

Banned
    I hope so. Cool pic BTW.

I hope so. Cool pic BTW.
    Thank you. Its actually one of our engagement pictures.

Agreed. We as a people and a nation have become soft and are unwilling to fight for what is ours. We can invade goat herders and kill them, but refuse to empty the scoundrels and despots from office right here at home. Most of the office holders in this country are hateful of our rights and make it clear with their own mouths. yet we fail to do a thing to remove them from office. It is as simple as a recall petition or getting active locally with your city council and work upwards. Replace your local officials first! Once we have 100% Constitutionalists in local office they add pressure to remove the State Law makers in office who wipe themselves with the Constitution. Your local sheriff can stop the FEDS that was already ruled on by the high courts, we need to think local as well as state and federal. Remember Sheriff Mack? I do. He fought the Brady Bill and won a victory for us all.

http://sheriffmack.com/

Last edited by Bailenforcer; 08-19-2010 at 02:09 PM.
    Exo 22:2 "If anyone catches a thief breaking in and hits him so that he dies, he is not guilty of murder.
    Luke 22:36: "Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luk 11:21 "When a strong man, with all his weapons ready, guards his own house, all his belongings are safe.