• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Granholm won't fight law that allows open weapons at Arts, Beats and Eats

cm2624

detroit_fan

And so many of you say she supports gun rights, while she openly states she doesn't believe in preemption and doesn't see why guns should be at a family event. It's also apparent from her comments that if she thought she could get a bill to expand the pfz's she would,doesn't sound very 2A friendly to me.

Chrome coytoe

And so many of you say she supports gun rights, while she openly states she doesn't believe in preemption and doesn't see why guns should be at a family event. It's also apparent from her comments that if she thought she could get a bill to expand the pfz's she would,doesn't sound very 2A friendly to me.

I am not taking her side at all. But, leaving my personal feelings out if it, I take those quotes with a grain of salt. Its very easy to misquote or take things out of context. To me, it almost sounds like a conflicting statement. We all know how things can be twisted in the paper.

sprinklerguy28

I won't say she supports it. I will say based on her AG opinions and her actions she has not fought it either. She believes in the law and follows it as is.

eastmeyers

I won't say she supports it. I will say based on her AG opinions and her actions she has not fought it either. She believes in the law and follows it as is.

Just like the mayors comments last night, he does NOT support us, but he DOES support the law, and that is why we got his vote on our issue.

(Don't we already have a thread for Arts Beats and Eats? I know I sound like a broken record but it is not fair for people who are trying to fallow a certain issue, in one spot to have to jump around to twenty DIFFERENT threads. I thought this was commonly agreed upon by most here...)

PDinDetroit

I have contacted the Governor via a Citizen's Request Form so I can provide further information to her office. I will let you know if I am contacted.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator

This is exactly it. When she originally ran for AG, she said that her job in an opinion was to interpret the law, not "make the law". Although I do not agree with her personal views, I have often said that she did a good job as AG because she read the law and did what it said. In fact, I personally have been in a similar position before and it is not easy to put your personal beliefs aside and to remain "officially neutral".
Think about what the firearm laws would look like if some Supreme Court Judges would have the ability to put "beliefs" aside when interpreting the law. Or, even better, that reporters for ANY news organizations would report what actually happened instead of pontificating and flagrantly expressing their beliefs as "objective reporting"... what a better world we would live in.

myusername

Jenny was all about interpreting/enforcing the law when she was AG, but has been all about making it up as she goes along as guv.

Like her deal with the home healthcare workers with the union Cherry used to work for? Couldn't get a law passed so they just went ahead by executive fiat. If the legislature sent her a bill to restrict carry she would sign it. If they sent her a bill reducing carry restrictions she would probably sign it. The fact that she's not a rabid anti doesn't mean she supports the right. Plus she is a realist - this is a non starter in this state. Even our liberal urban bastions of Democrat party minions support gun rights because they are fighting for their lives in the lovely neighborhoods of Detroit, Flint, and Ponticrack

I personally wouldn't open carry at ABE, I have a CPL and carry concealed 97% of the time, but I recognize the value of forcing these municipalities to face the reality of the law when they arbitrarily violate it because of their emotional and uneducated mindset - you guys did RO a huge favor by dealing with this ahead of time instead of having to sue them later, they should be thankful. As should be the many CPL carriers who are also now "legal" at ABE because the ban included them (just as illegally as it did for OC)

We really need to get the PFZ's eliminated for the CPL, Were they to do that, I would probably not open carry again, I like surprises!

scot623

Although she said that support for a ban would be unlikely, I sincerely believe that we are the last generation who will be allowed to use our rights to open carry, and that open carry will be banned in short order.

Heck stainless, why don't you get a head start and stop OCing right now. I'm sure nobody here will mind.

Last edited:
B

Bikenut

Although she said that support for a ban would be unlikely, I sincerely believe that we are the last generation who will be allowed to use our rights to open carry, and that open carry will be banned in short order.

No legislator will touch this issue at this point in time with elections coming up. However, there are many local municipalities and groups both civic and professional chomping at the bit to get the law changed to allow them to become the moving force in gun control. Imagine how difficult it would be to fight ever increasing gun control if it happens in every little whistle stop all over Michigan?

However we need to be aware that this issue of changing the law to allow local municipalities to enact gun control measures that will effectively stifle the right to "keep and bear arms" into non existence most definitely be a hot button issue shortly after the election dust settles.

Folks... we have just barely begun.

PDinDetroit

No legislator will touch this issue at this point in time with elections coming up. However, there are many local municipalities and groups both civic and professional chomping at the bit to get the law changed to allow them to become the moving force in gun control. Imagine how difficult it would be to fight ever increasing gun control if it happens in every little whistle stop all over Michigan?

However we need to be aware that this issue of changing the law to allow local municipalities to enact gun control measures that will effectively stifle the right to "keep and bear arms" into non existence most definitely be a hot button issue shortly after the election dust settles.

Folks... we have just barely begun.

Oops!

I was one of the ones who fired the first shot.

Chrome coytoe

I would have to disagree. I think that in the next few years, we will begin to see people OCing as more common and more accepted. We may be fighting now, and we may always be fighting, but I feel the winds change blowing in our favor.

Bailenforcer

Agreed. We as a people and a nation have become soft and are unwilling to fight for what is ours. We can invade goat herders and kill them, but refuse to empty the scoundrels and despots from office right here at home. Most of the office holders in this country are hateful of our rights and make it clear with their own mouths. yet we fail to do a thing to remove them from office. It is as simple as a recall petition or getting active locally with your city council and work upwards. Replace your local officials first! Once we have 100% Constitutionalists in local office they add pressure to remove the State Law makers in office who wipe themselves with the Constitution. Your local sheriff can stop the FEDS that was already ruled on by the high courts, we need to think local as well as state and federal. Remember Sheriff Mack? I do. He fought the Brady Bill and won a victory for us all.

http://sheriffmack.com/

Last edited: