• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My 1st HANDGUN!

twindragons

hey guys, on my last thread, i was leaning toawrd a shotgun, but now i decided to finally get a handgun. I am now, 100% sure. I want something that is EXTREMELY reliable, good qaulity, POWERFUL, and near cheap.

here are some of the guns I am interested in. But Im only going to buy one. The price below is the MSRP, will the gun shop sell it to me at the same price or more?

many thanks

Beretta PX4 Storm Full Size .45ACP $650.00

Beretta 96A1 $690.00

Sig SP2022 .40 S&W $613.00

Sig P250 .45ACP $712.00

S&W M&P40C- COMPACT SIZE $719.00

S&W M&P COMPACT .40 $719.00

ps: i live in SOCAL

Last edited:

Don Barnett

Msrp?

hey guys, on my last thread, i was leaning toawrd a shotgun, but now i decided to finally get a handgun. I am now, 100% sure. I want something that is EXTREMELY reliable, good qaulity, POWERFUL, and near cheap.

here are some of the guns I am interested in. But Im only going to buy one. The price below is the MSRP, will the gun shop sell it to me at the same price or more?

many thanks

Beretta 96A1 $690.00

Sig P250 .45ACP $712.00

In my experience, you should be able to get anything for a lot less than MSRP.

Add CA tax also.

Have you considered a revolver? My first gun was a 4" barrel .357 Magnum revolver. Forty years and many guns later, I still carry a .357 Magnum revolver; it is my favorite caliber.

twindragons

In my experience, you should be able to get anything for a lot less than MSRP.

Add CA tax also.

Have you considered a revolver? My first gun was a 4" barrel .357 Magnum revolver. Forty years and many guns later, I still carry a .357 Magnum revolver; it is my favorite caliber.

i never liked revolvers for some reason. in your opinion, which gun on that list is the best? i want to know other people's input before i buy one.

Last edited:

Don Barnett

I Am Going to Defer...

i never liked revolvers for some reason. in your opinion, which gun on that list is the best? i want to know other people's input before i buy one.

OK...I don't want to answer your question as I am not familiar with any of the guns you have listed; but I am sure that someone else will answer your question.

I had an Sig P220, but sold it (dumb move). It was really nice!

I personally like the .45 ACP; but I hear the .40 Cal is a formidable round.

Good luck!

VAopencarry

Nothing wrong with any of the guns on your list. You might also check out Springfield XD's and Glocks. Reliable and cheaper than the ones you listed. Personally not a fan of the P250. I would rule out the M&P compact unless you will be conceal carrying.

Dreamer

You can't go wrong with an all-steel Sig or most all-steel 1911s.

Never buy a self-defense gun that bacteria can eat... :p

Don Barnett

Concealed Carry!

Nothing wrong with any of the guns on your list. You might also check out Springfield XD's and Glocks. Reliable and cheaper than the ones you listed. Personally not a fan of the P250. I would rule out the M&P compact unless you will be conceal carrying.

Hey! Remember twindragons is from SOCAL...don't think you can carry concealed there.

jeeper1

You really need to handle each of the guns on your list to see if it is comfortable for you, shoot them if possible.
Having said that, I would get the Beretta 96. I have a Beretta 92 that I like so I am certain I would like the 96 also.
You also need to be able to get 10 round mags for whatever you end up getting.

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member

many thanks

Beretta 96A1 $690.00

Sig P250 .45ACP $712.00

My choice on your list would be the Beretta 96A1.

My choice in you case would be to MOVE to a freer state, save my money again and get an XD45 Tactical.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Rock Island 1911. Hell, in that price range, lots of 1911s. Why is this standard-by-which-all-others-are-measured not on your list?

I have a list.

Things I could drink to prevent death by dehydration:

Pepsi
case of beer
battery acid
dirty underwear
sand
box of nails

Gosh guys, which one should I buy? Water? What do you mean, water? What's that?

:p

Last edited:

t33j

The M&Ps (at least the ones I've shot) do not have nice triggers. Can't really go wrong with Sig. Check out HK. As has been said, consider 9mm to save beaucoup bucks. It was my first, and I carry it just as often as my .45.
+1 on getting the hell of out CA

Last edited:

April.Fools

What About This one

The firearms on your list are all fine and dandy but you forgot one.
Try out an fnp 45: $600 to $700. Well within your price range and a great gun for the money(compares to the sig p220). It goes where ever I go. Good luck with your choice

T191032

many thanks

Beretta 96A1 $690.00

Sig P250 .45ACP $712.00

I would recommend a single, consistent trigger pull with a grip size that fits your hand comfortably. I don't know your level of shooting with guns, so I can't speak on how you'll manage the recoil of said guns. Of the ones you have listed, I'd lean towards the "convertible platform" SIG P250.

Edited to add : Just looked up a local dealer for a Full-Size P250 .45 ACP. They want $729.99 for theirs.
By comparison, Buds Gun Shop shows it at $513.00
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_28_899/products_id/59858

As the others noted, check with some other suppliers online and see what kinda prices you'll find. Also, try to shoot any/all of the above if you know someone who may own some.

Last edited:

ak56

Campaign Veteran
I agree with what others have said, get your hands on these and actually shoot them. Find what fits YOU the best.

I'm going through this same process right now. A local range has ladies day on tuesdays - ladies get 1/2 price lane rental, and as long as you have a lady with you, gun rentals are free. I've taken my wife there the last three weeks - she shoots our .22, I've been taking advantage of the free rental and trying different guns in different calibers. Found that I can handle the recoil of a .45 better than a 9mm. Purchase decision (and hopefully purchase) tomorrow!