• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Threaded Barrell?

NickNt

I know this is probably not the right place to ask this, but i figured this is as good as place as any to start. I'm thinking of going through the paperword and BATF and such to be able to buy a suppressor for my handgun. I want to get as many things done as possible before needing to go through the paperwork. My question is, is it illegal or legal for me buy a threaded barrel and have it prior to doing any paperwork? I heard people say legal, and i have heard people say it's illegal, so i'm looking to this site here to give me some insight on the subject. Thank you to anyone who responds.

KIX

I'm no expert, but......

I'd still say no, as to it being illegal.

Some barrels are sold outright threaded. Muzzle breaks, etc.

Now, take my Wather P22 for instance, it is already threaded, out of the box.

But, the ATF has all the info on various aspects on their website and have been reading through tons of their documentation lately.

Jonathan

MHemmann

i have done alot of research on this as i want a supprressor as well, just dont have the funds for one as of yet. a threaded barrel is legal to have. and when you do buy your supprressor make sure the thread is the same. and i talked to Newington Gun exchange who has the class 3 FFL and sells them, says the BATF has a 7-8 month wait time to proccess the application. just keep that in mind. i would stop down there and just talk with them about what you should do. they have alot of information that you could use.

Mopar

The answer depends on the gun. Handguns have their own section of our state AWB.

Sec. 53-202a. Assault weapons: Definition.
B) A semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

(i) An ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;

(ii) A threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip or silencer;

(iii) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned;

(iv) A manufactured weight of fifty ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and

(v) A semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm

So as I read it (I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on the intertubes) you can have a threaded barrel as long as you don't have any of the other so-called evil features, otherwise it's a scary and illegal assault weapon.

NickNt

Well, it's a Beretta 92 FS 9mm Handgun. I got it brand new a few months ago. I don't think it has any of those other features at all?

i have done alot of research on this as i want a supprressor as well, just dont have the funds for one as of yet. a threaded barrel is legal to have. and when you do buy your supprressor make sure the thread is the same. and i talked to Newington Gun exchange who has the class 3 FFL and sells them, says the BATF has a 7-8 month wait time to proccess the application. just keep that in mind. i would stop down there and just talk with them about what you should do. they have alot of information that you could use.

MHemmann

Newington gun exchange said the 9mm is a nice round to get a supprressor on. i would give them a call and just gather as much information on the subject as possible. they might even have a barrel there or can get one for you. i was gonna get one for my M&P 9mm. i have found threaded barrels online, but a part like that i would like to inspect before i purchase. let me know how this turns out.

GoldCoaster

Newington gun exchange said the 9mm is a nice round to get a supprressor on. i would give them a call and just gather as much information on the subject as possible. they might even have a barrel there or can get one for you. i was gonna get one for my M&P 9mm. i have found threaded barrels online, but a part like that i would like to inspect before i purchase. let me know how this turns out.

I have a threaded match barrel for my M&P 45, storm lake barrels make some really good stuff and I recommend them. I could bring it to a CCDL meeting sometime if you want to see it.

MHemmann

yes the storm lake barrels are nice. i have seen some of those. but when and if i buy one i would love to inspect it before i buy. just like any gun, make sure theres no inperfections or any scraps etc...just my preferance. thanks guys.

GoldCoaster

Side by side comparison of the barrels (stock and Storm Lake) out of the pistol up to the light. I was very impressed with the precision of the rifling in the Storm Lake. The S&W not so much.

I think the guys at Storm Lake know that if they make barrels "as good as" the original there's no reason to buy them, they need to exceed original specs.

NickNt

How can you tell how precise the rifling is? Ever barrell's rifling is different isn't it?

Side by side comparison of the barrels (stock and Storm Lake) out of the pistol up to the light. I was very impressed with the precision of the rifling in the Storm Lake. The S&W not so much.

I think the guys at Storm Lake know that if they make barrels "as good as" the original there's no reason to buy them, they need to exceed original specs.

Rich B

How can you tell how precise the rifling is? Ever barrell's rifling is different isn't it?

When you look down say a factory Glock barrel and then you look down a Storm Lake barrel, there is a huge difference. Just getting rid of the polygonal rifling so that you can fire lead bullets is a positive change.

Storm Lake is much more of a 'match grade' barrel. Factory barrels are usually not so much.

Lank

NickNt:

The 1934 National Firearms Act regulates the silencer, not the barrel that it screws onto.

A 92FS with a threaded barrel will not meet the definition of an assault weapon under CT state law without other modifications to it. It is less than fifty ounces and doesn't have any of the other features listed in the statute.

It's legal.

NickNt

Thank you everyone that has helped out with your input.

NickNt:

The 1934 National Firearms Act regulates the silencer, not the barrel that it screws onto.

A 92FS with a threaded barrel will not meet the definition of an assault weapon under CT state law without other modifications to it. It is less than fifty ounces and doesn't have any of the other features listed in the statute.

It's legal.

dcmdon

It is 100% totally perfectly legal to put a threaded bbl on a handgun provided that does not then make it into an Assault Weapon as defined by statute.

http://www.jud.ct.gov/JI/criminal/glossary/assaultweapon.htm

The relevant part is:
(B) A semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

i. an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;
ii. a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip or silencer;
iii. a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned;
iv. a manufactured weight of fifty ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and
v. a semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm.

So if you add a threaded bbl the gun can't have any of the other evil features listed in i. through v.

Don

NickNt

Well, it can have a suppressor provided i get the federal tax stamp to buy one etc....

It is 100% totally perfectly legal to put a threaded bbl on a handgun provided that does not then make it into an Assault Weapon as defined by statute.

http://www.jud.ct.gov/JI/criminal/glossary/assaultweapon.htm

The relevant part is:
(B) A semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

i. an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;
ii. a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip or silencer;
iii. a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned;
iv. a manufactured weight of fifty ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and
v. a semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm.

So if you add a threaded bbl the gun can't have any of the other evil features listed in i. through v.

Don

dcmdon

Of course. But you don't need to worry much about that process. The dealer will walk you through it.

If you want some advice on what 9mm can to get, PM me. I've made mistakes. I'm guessing that my experience can help you avoid the same mistakes.

Don

Last edited: