• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Car safe question

calgunner

Hi,
If I used this safe to store my sidearm in while driving through town would it be legal. From my understanding it has to be in a locked container. This locks with a key.
I just want to double check if i am understanding the law right.
Thank you.

Attachments

• safe.jpg
    safe.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 108

calgunner

Good to go. That’s what I though just wanted to kind of double check.
NOW.
I leave my house in the morning and drive about 50 miles to get to work on 4 different freeways. Thought about the UOC but I pass through a few school areas so I don’t want to take that risk or upholster and re-holster. My though is leave my house with it in a case get in the car put it in the safe and have a nice drive to work. Holster up at work and do the opposite when on my way home. I see a lot of road rage on the freeways everyday and I will not be a victim. Thanks guys.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
My though is leave my house with it in a case get in the car put it in the safe and have a nice drive to work. Holster up at work and do the opposite when on my way home.

Not sure what you mean by "a case". If you live inside a school zone then you'll need to keep your handgun in a fully enclosed, locked container until you have left the school zone. If you don't live in a school zone, then you can walk out of your house holstered up and to your car where you can then put the firearm in the safe for your drive to work.

Other than that, sounds like an excellent plan. Enjoy and stay safe.

Oh, and don't upholster while driving, it makes for strange looking furniture. :lol:

calgunner

good eye big. lol By case i mean one of the little padded soft sided cases it dont have a place for a lock. Stay safe take care.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
good eye big. lol By case i mean one of the little padded soft sided cases it dont have a place for a lock. Stay safe take care.

If it doesn't have a place for a lock and isn't transparent, then putting your handgun inside it and not locking it would be a violation of CA PC 12025 (concealed weapon). If it has two zippers on it then you can throw a really simple cheap lock through it and consider it locked. Lacking that you could sew a loop of fabric on the case where the zipper would be when the case is zipped closed and then throw a lock through the loop and the hole in the zipper (the zipper has a hole, right?). The bottom line though, is that if your firearm isn't visible, then it needs to be locked in a fully enclosed container.

ryanburbridge

I see a lot of road rage on the freeways everyday and I will not be a victim. Thanks guys.

Umm what? Do you plan on using the gun to defend yourself while driving? We all in SoCal drive alot but I have never considerd having to shoot someone while driving. I carry LUCC in the truck. If I break down I will be able to defend my self. What did you mean? Just curious.

calgunner

yeah it has a zipper and i put a little lock on it but i figured since it was a soft case and i adapted a lock to it that it might be a hassle to explain that yes it is locked. Kind of a better safe than sorry.

I work as a bullion dealer and I drive alot. I have seen alot of road rage on the freeways in my area. I feel that i could be a target just based on the business that i am in. I am going to start the process for CCW.

calgunner

Ryan,
the reason i bring my sidearm with me to and from work is because of the business that i am in. NO i do not wish to shoot the guy who may cut me off on the freeway. I am the type of guy who while in traffic stops to let people in. I avoid the rage but just thinking what if someone follows me home or to the office and all that. Trust me it has happened before. I dont understand how you can say that you have never considerede shooting someone while driving. By this i mean....what it some dude thinks that you were the guy that cut him off and he is hell bent on running you into the guard rail or off the side of the road and you cant get away from him. Any item used in a manner to do harm to another human can be deemed as a deadly weapon. I dont mean to sound like a jerk or anything like that but dude ya always got to thik WHAT IF.

ryanburbridge

Ryan,
the reason i bring my sidearm with me to and from work is because of the business that i am in. NO i do not wish to shoot the guy who may cut me off on the freeway. I am the type of guy who while in traffic stops to let people in. I avoid the rage but just thinking what if someone follows me home or to the office and all that. Trust me it has happened before. I dont understand how you can say that you have never considerede shooting someone while driving. By this i mean....what it some dude thinks that you were the guy that cut him off and he is hell bent on running you into the guard rail or off the side of the road and you cant get away from him. Any item used in a manner to do harm to another human can be deemed as a deadly weapon. I dont mean to sound like a jerk or anything like that but dude ya always got to thik WHAT IF.

No prob I completely under stand. You don't have to explain yourself to anyone. Thanks for doing it anyways. Typing is so impersonal and I ment my question to come across as more of a joke.

If I had it my way everyone would be packing a loaded firearm. There would be alot less road rage if you knew every one had a gun.

How dose that go. An armed city is a polite city.

Carry on. Keep us posted on the CCW