• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Did anyone get kicked of a Metro bus this morning for OC?

trevorthebusdriver

I overheard two female drivers talking today and one said "He had a gun in a holster and I asked him to leave and he did." It sounded like it had just happened. I know you guys know it is legal and probably wouldn't have got off, but I had to ask.
I didn't have time to talk to the driver about it, but I know her and when I see her again I will get (and give)more info.

Metalhead47

Is metro not training all their new drivers on this? It seems to me that it would be pretty easy to just spend 5 mins to go over it during training for new drivers.

They can "train" all they want, but some drivers (especially old crotchety ones) don't always pay attention. I've had some frustrating exchanges at my places with both ends of the ladder.

jt59

From the back of the bus

I have a good friend who is a Pierce County Transit bus driver...and we had this conversation a while ago....

I asked him what the policy was?... This is straight out of their Operators handbook.

>JT,

Here it is from our operator’s handbook. “Licensed adults and unknown off-duty law enforcement personnel may legally carry concealed firearms, as well, but you should never assume that no action is required just because the person you see is not threatening anyone at the moment.”

So even if you can legally carry a firearm you still will be reported to our comm center and you will be contacted by law enforcement. Operators are not permitted to have a weapon on them
.>

This seems like odd language, if it was concealed, how would they know?

So, I don't know if this would be different from Metro (assuming Seattle?)...I'll ask him to inquire about OC, since this reference assumes at the begining a legal right to carry based on a license and generally CC, which doesn't really apply for OC....

On the other hand, I think I have seen this citing in the past:

(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

Generally, it would seem to me that this is construed to mean your personal vehicle, but....if you don't have a car, could it be stretched to include the public transportation system?

Anyway, I know my conversations with him have been along the line that as the Driver, he has said, they have responsibility for the safety all their passengers and often get some pretty weird riders...some scary. They have complete authority on their bus to put anyone off and will follow the above procedures....and so, at least in PC, you will be invited off the bus, or contacted by LEO's if you stick around.

Surely, this must have been debated in the past somewhere?

Last edited:

Metalhead47

I have a good friend who is a Pierce County Transit bus driver...and we had this conversation a while ago....

I asked him what the policy was?... This is straight out of their Operators handbook.

>JT,

Here it is from our operator’s handbook. “Licensed adults and unknown off-duty law enforcement personnel may legally carry concealed firearms, as well, but you should never assume that no action is required just because the person you see is not threatening anyone at the moment.”

So even if you can legally carry a firearm you still will be reported to our comm center and you will be contacted by law enforcement. Operators are not permitted to have a weapon on them
.>

This seems like odd language, if it was concealed, how would they know?

So, I don't know if this would be different from Metro (assuming Seattle?)...I'll ask him to inquire about OC, since this reference assumes at the begining a legal right to carry based on a license and generally CC, which doesn't really apply for OC....

On the other hand, I think I have seen this citing in the past:

(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

Generally, it would seem to me that this is construed to mean your personal vehicle, but....if you don't have a car, could it be stretched to include the public transportation system?

Anyway, I know my conversations with him have been along the line that as the Driver, he has said, they have responsibility for the safety all their passengers and often get some pretty weird riders...some scary. They have complete authority on their bus to put anyone off and will follow the above procedures....and so, at least in PC, you will be invited off the bus, or contacted by LEO's if you stick around.

Surely, this must have been debated in the past somewhere?

This has popped up a few times in the past. I think SV_libertarian had a big todo with intercity transit down in olympia over carry on busses. According to law, yes you need to have a CPL to carry on a transit bus, since after all it IS a vehicle. Also, since the busses are all county-owned (public property operated by the govt), you cannot be PROHIBITED from carrying on a transit bus. Sounds like PC might need some nudging too.

At CT in Snohomish county, they use their typical catch-all, "when in doubt, call dispatch." My perspective, as a driver: I'm not going to hassle anyone who's openly armed. If the person is legit, then I have no business bothering them. If its a BG who's not causing any IMMEDIATE threat or problem, then I'm sure not going to provoke them. We have silent alarms for just that reason.

Personally, I'm surprised PC actually gives their drivers authority to do anything :banghead:

trevorthebusdriver

KC Meto

I don't know if they are covering it for the new drivers but they did come out with an "Open Carry" bulletin a year ago. There is nothing about it in our Operations Books yet(hmm, let me see if I can do something about that!)