Thread: Suspension of gun rights?

Suspension of gun rights?

Under what cirumstances can the government suspend our oc/cc/possesion rights?

If there was a katrina type situation in virginia and curfews and evacs where initiated?

Any other situations?

Quote Originally Posted by conhntr View Post
    If there was a katrina type situation in virginia and curfews and evacs where initiated?
    IIRC North Carolina has/had such a provision, but Virginia does not. There was a thread on here which should have been imported from the old forum. Maybe it was in the NC section.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Others will know more, but after Katrina, the feds passed a law specifically prohibiting confiscation. Of course, administrations don't really seem to pay much attention to laws any more, so what will it be worth when the time comes? Only time will tell.

TFred

I won't enter the fray re: Virginia (cause I don't know) but I can confirm that North Carolina does have such a law at the moment. The Second Amendment Foundation and GRNC have just filed action in court to have it declared invalid. Same lawyer that won Heller and Mc Donald so I'm real hopeful for a successful out come. Wish us luck.

IIRC VA passed a protection law to prevent a New Orleans gun grab in VA. Still can't carry in shelters legally.

As for what would trigger a suspension? Domestic combat, Martial law are the 2 that come to mind. There is precedent for suspension of Constitutional Rights. It was done during the War of Northern Aggression 1861-1865. Also some during WWII I believe.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    IIRC VA passed a protection law to prevent a New Orleans gun grab in VA. Still can't carry in shelters legally.

As for what would trigger a suspension? Domestic combat, Martial law are the 2 that come to mind. There is precedent for suspension of Constitutional Rights. It was done during the War of Northern Aggression 1861-1865. Also some during WWII I believe.
    really? Can you cite that? I really want to read it. Needs to be added to the TO DO stack for the next legislative season.
    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Let's put it this way. If things ever got to the point where the federal government (I don't see Virginia doing this) were to issue some sort of executive order, or worse, to suspend our Second Amendment rights, you can bet other rights would follow the same path. And in the event this ever were to happen, that would be the time when you would need your firearms the most.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    Let's put it this way. If things ever got to the point where the federal government (I don't see Virginia doing this) were to issue some sort of executive order, or worse, to suspend our Second Amendment rights, you can bet other rights would follow the same path. And in the event this ever were to happen, that would be the time when you would need your firearms the most.
    exactly
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"
    -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by simmonsjoe View Post
    really? Can you cite that? I really want to read it. Needs to be added to the TO DO stack for the next legislative season.
    Note that the evil Death Star committee killed a bill to take the first step (CC vs all guns) towards fixing the issue:
    http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...bil&val=hb1070

Well im trying NOT to sound crazy but picture this senario. Somensort of biological event (terrorist or naturally caused) and everyone must go to centers for quarranteen/treatment. Im sure whatever jurisidiction running said operation would require disarment when as mentioned above it is precisely when a gun would be most needed

Under what cirumstances can the government suspend our oc/cc/possesion rights?
    When I am out of ammo.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Thundar View Post
    When I am out of ammo.
    +1
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson

Well im trying NOT to sound crazy but picture this senario. Somensort of biological event (terrorist or naturally caused) and everyone must go to centers for quarranteen/treatment. Im sure whatever jurisidiction running said operation would require disarment when as mentioned above it is precisely when a gun would be most needed
    Well one thing to remember also is that if it is biological etc you might have to have your gun sterilized even if they don't take it away. Most hospitals and some endoscopy clinics have chemical sterilizers that could probably clean the gun and you would just need to lube wipe down it. Might want to have some ammo in a plastic bag to be able to reload without contamination.

As far as the we are putting you all into camps for your well being screw that. Saw on the news how that worked for New Orleans. To quote the great Homey the Clown. "Homey Don't play that!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by simmonsjoe View Post
    http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/histor...colnhabeas.htm

http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/07...liberties.html

http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/rights...beuscorpus.htm

Despite the distasteful nature of it, I believe that the Founders were right about this.

EDIT: Oops I didn't see you highlighted something until after I posted.

Not sure if you can legally carry in some shelters but in my neck of the woods shelters are usually operated by the RC and placed in K-12 schools. The RC IIRC has a policy against weapons and schools are certainly prohibited areas. I don't think there is any legislation granting an exemption during shelter activities.
    Last edited by paramedic70002; 08-19-2010 at 11:40 AM.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Ah yes. There was an attempt last legislative session to exempt schoolgrounds when used for other purposes.

When I am out of ammo.
    When I am dead, cause I have lots of ammo.

Amen to That!

When I am out of ammo.
    A new gun owner friend of mine said someone told her to keep at least 1000 rounds for every firearm you own.

For me, that's A LOT of ammo!

Quote Originally Posted by rugerdon View Post
    A new gun owner friend of mine said someone told her to keep at least 1000 rounds for every firearm you own.

For me, that's A LOT of ammo!
    Yeah, for me, too. And I bulk handload!

Apparently there are a lot of people who think those rights can be suspended, and attempt to do so, in the following instances:

Guns open carried in a public place where carrying a gun is not appropriate. Like on a sidewalk or park or street or next to a fire hydrant. Or next to say, a tree. Or telephone pole. I think we can all agree that carrying a gun some places, such as these, is not appropriate.

Guns open carried anywhere they make people nervous.

Guns open carried anywhere open carry is statutorily recognized but police don't know the law.

If you're on a secret watch list, I'm sure they can figure out some way of suspending your rights.

Malls, generally speaking. In malls that don't, it is only a matter of time before a bored security guard decides he needs a story to tell to his friends when they ask "how's work?" and he realizes he needs to kick it up a notch by playing police occifer and hassling OCers.

Carrying a gun if you own a lot of weapons, aka a "stockpile," or any collection in which "concerned citizens|residents|neighbors" express disapproval, regardless of whether there is a law (there isn't) on the books limiting how many firearms a person can collect.

In an emergency. Blackouts. Floods. Riots. Revolution. Flu season.

Any place people gather because while it is appropriate to carry guns for self-defense when there are no people around, it is not appropriate to carry guns when there are people around because crimes only ever occur when you are completely alone.

This covers it I think.
    Last edited by crisisweasel; 08-20-2010 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by floyd patriot View Post
    Yeah, for me, too. And I bulk handload!
    Man, you guys need to shoot more!
    Sic Semper Tyrannis