• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Suspension of gun rights?

conhntr

Under what cirumstances can the government suspend our oc/cc/possesion rights?

If there was a katrina type situation in virginia and curfews and evacs where initiated?

Any other situations?

t33j

If there was a katrina type situation in virginia and curfews and evacs where initiated?

IIRC North Carolina has/had such a provision, but Virginia does not. There was a thread on here which should have been imported from the old forum. Maybe it was in the NC section.

TFred

Others will know more, but after Katrina, the feds passed a law specifically prohibiting confiscation. Of course, administrations don't really seem to pay much attention to laws any more, so what will it be worth when the time comes? Only time will tell.

TFred

buzzsaw

I won't enter the fray re: Virginia (cause I don't know) but I can confirm that North Carolina does have such a law at the moment. The Second Amendment Foundation and GRNC have just filed action in court to have it declared invalid. Same lawyer that won Heller and Mc Donald so I'm real hopeful for a successful out come. Wish us luck.

paramedic70002

IIRC VA passed a protection law to prevent a New Orleans gun grab in VA. Still can't carry in shelters legally.

As for what would trigger a suspension? Domestic combat, Martial law are the 2 that come to mind. There is precedent for suspension of Constitutional Rights. It was done during the War of Northern Aggression 1861-1865. Also some during WWII I believe.

simmonsjoe

IIRC VA passed a protection law to prevent a New Orleans gun grab in VA. [highlight]Still can't carry in shelters legally.[/highlight]

As for what would trigger a suspension? Domestic combat, Martial law are the 2 that come to mind. There is precedent for suspension of Constitutional Rights. It was done during the War of Northern Aggression 1861-1865. Also some during WWII I believe.
really? Can you cite that? I really want to read it. Needs to be added to the TO DO stack for the next legislative season.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Let's put it this way. If things ever got to the point where the federal government (I don't see Virginia doing this) were to issue some sort of executive order, or worse, to suspend our Second Amendment rights, you can bet other rights would follow the same path. And in the event this ever were to happen, that would be the time when you would need your firearms the most.

Walt_Kowalski

Let's put it this way. If things ever got to the point where the federal government (I don't see Virginia doing this) were to issue some sort of executive order, or worse, to suspend our Second Amendment rights, you can bet other rights would follow the same path. And in the event this ever were to happen, that would be the time when you would need your firearms the most.

exactly

conhntr

Well im trying NOT to sound crazy but picture this senario. Somensort of biological event (terrorist or naturally caused) and everyone must go to centers for quarranteen/treatment. Im sure whatever jurisidiction running said operation would require disarment when as mentioned above it is precisely when a gun would be most needed

Uber_Olafsun

Well im trying NOT to sound crazy but picture this senario. Somensort of biological event (terrorist or naturally caused) and everyone must go to centers for quarranteen/treatment. Im sure whatever jurisidiction running said operation would require disarment when as mentioned above it is precisely when a gun would be most needed

Well one thing to remember also is that if it is biological etc you might have to have your gun sterilized even if they don't take it away. Most hospitals and some endoscopy clinics have chemical sterilizers that could probably clean the gun and you would just need to lube wipe down it. Might want to have some ammo in a plastic bag to be able to reload without contamination.

As far as the we are putting you all into camps for your well being screw that. Saw on the news how that worked for New Orleans. To quote the great Homey the Clown. "Homey Don't play that!!!"

paramedic70002

really? Can you cite that? I really want to read it. Needs to be added to the TO DO stack for the next legislative season.

http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/historicdocuments/a/lincolnhabeas.htm

http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/07132007/civilliberties.html

http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/rightsandfreedoms/a/habeuscorpus.htm

Despite the distasteful nature of it, I believe that the Founders were right about this.

EDIT: Oops I didn't see you highlighted something until after I posted.

Not sure if you can legally carry in some shelters but in my neck of the woods shelters are usually operated by the RC and placed in K-12 schools. The RC IIRC has a policy against weapons and schools are certainly prohibited areas. I don't think there is any legislation granting an exemption during shelter activities.

Last edited:

crisisweasel

Apparently there are a lot of people who think those rights can be suspended, and attempt to do so, in the following instances:

Guns open carried in a public place where carrying a gun is not appropriate. Like on a sidewalk or park or street or next to a fire hydrant. Or next to say, a tree. Or telephone pole. I think we can all agree that carrying a gun some places, such as these, is not appropriate.

Guns open carried anywhere they make people nervous.

Guns open carried anywhere open carry is statutorily recognized but police don't know the law.

If you're on a secret watch list, I'm sure they can figure out some way of suspending your rights.

Malls, generally speaking. In malls that don't, it is only a matter of time before a bored security guard decides he needs a story to tell to his friends when they ask "how's work?" and he realizes he needs to kick it up a notch by playing police occifer and hassling OCers.

Carrying a gun if you own a lot of weapons, aka a "stockpile," or any collection in which "concerned citizens|residents|neighbors" express disapproval, regardless of whether there is a law (there isn't) on the books limiting how many firearms a person can collect.

In an emergency. Blackouts. Floods. Riots. Revolution. Flu season.

Any place people gather because while it is appropriate to carry guns for self-defense when there are no people around, it is not appropriate to carry guns when there are people around because crimes only ever occur when you are completely alone.

This covers it I think.

Last edited: