Thread: Visiting Ventura, CA from Las Vegas, NV

Visiting Ventura, CA from Las Vegas, NV

I had urgent family business and I had to rush to Ventura. I brought my Pistol with me, but haven't attempted to carry here in town. What do I need to know when carrying here in Ventura, both in my car and on foot. Also, is carry prohibited in hospitals? How does the PD here respond to open carry?
    Last edited by Nevada carrier; 08-18-2010 at 01:29 AM.

Unloaded open carry (UOC) is not very common and will likely attract law enforcement attention. Under PC12031(e) police are authorized to conduct a loaded inspection. Refusal to allow the inspection is cause for them to arrest you for carrying a loaded weapon. They may step over the line and demand ID or run serial on your weapon- absent reasonable suspicion, this is a 4th amendment violation.

You also should know that California has a prohibition to carrying within 1000 feet of a school (PC626.9). A locked case is an exemption.

Carrying in a hospital may be illegal- it depends on whether the hospital is considered to be a public building according to PC171b. This would be a building where public employees conduct their business.

Police reaction to open carry varies by location and department. Some have been detained for several hours- others for only as long as it takes to conduct a loaded check. Some have been drawn down by police, others have not.
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW

Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

15 rd mags are a no no even if they only have 10 rds in them unless they are altered to only accept only 10 rds.
    And thats Gov buildings, not public buildings. Hospitals are, for the most part, private business so they may ask you to leave your weapon in your car. I think veterans hospitals may be classed as Gov buildings.
    A citizen may not be required to offer a ―good and substantial reason-- why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right‘s existence is all the reason he needs.

Hope all is well. Let us know how you made out in CA.