• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting Ventura, CA from Las Vegas, NV

Nevada carrier

I had urgent family business and I had to rush to Ventura. I brought my Pistol with me, but haven't attempted to carry here in town. What do I need to know when carrying here in Ventura, both in my car and on foot. Also, is carry prohibited in hospitals? How does the PD here respond to open carry?

Last edited:

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
Unloaded open carry (UOC) is not very common and will likely attract law enforcement attention. Under PC12031(e) police are authorized to conduct a loaded inspection. Refusal to allow the inspection is cause for them to arrest you for carrying a loaded weapon. They may step over the line and demand ID or run serial on your weapon- absent reasonable suspicion, this is a 4th amendment violation.

You also should know that California has a prohibition to carrying within 1000 feet of a school (PC626.9). A locked case is an exemption.

Carrying in a hospital may be illegal- it depends on whether the hospital is considered to be a public building according to PC171b. This would be a building where public employees conduct their business.

Police reaction to open carry varies by location and department. Some have been detained for several hours- others for only as long as it takes to conduct a loaded check. Some have been drawn down by police, others have not.

Gundude

15 rd mags are a no no even if they only have 10 rds in them unless they are altered to only accept only 10 rds.
And thats Gov buildings, not public buildings. Hospitals are, for the most part, private business so they may ask you to leave your weapon in your car. I think veterans hospitals may be classed as Gov buildings.