Thread: OTish: Requesting NICS report from FFL

OTish: Requesting NICS report from FFL

Just a random question here, but how difficult do you guys(and gals) think it would be to request the NICS report from the store that sold you your pistol? Do "they" have to keep some sort of record of it? Or do "they" tend to shred/burn it after you pick up your pistol?

Thanks in advance.
    It ain't easy in the Tweezy.

My favorite one to date: "Uh... You know the hammer's back on it, right?"

Me: o.O "Uh...yeah."

I think its all done by phone but I'm not sure.
    If its done by mail or fax I would guess that the gun store doesn't get a copy of your "record" I think they are just told if you "passed" or not. but I'm not sure just guessing.

Someone more useful then me will chime in shortly.
    A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government.- Thomas Jefferson March 4 1801

I remember seeing a yellow 3-page length sheet, tri-fold looking thing that they looked to have kept.

Also, is there any reason why NICS would allow a pistol to be purchased, but the people who do the WA CPL not allow it? A friend of mine at work has been having issues with that, and I told him I'd look into it.
    It ain't easy in the Tweezy.

My favorite one to date: "Uh... You know the hammer's back on it, right?"

Me: o.O "Uh...yeah."

so a friend was able to buy a handgun at a dealer but then he applied for a CPL and was denied? Maybe your friend should ask the DOL or the agency he applied at why it was denied.

I think some domestic violence crimes would prevent a CPL from being issued but may not disqualify someone on the FFL check.

I know that with long guns if the gun shop doesn't hear back from the FBI within the time frame they can go ahead with the sale. Basically the shop is waiting for the FBI to Deny you not to approve you. It might be the same thing with handguns.
    A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government.- Thomas Jefferson March 4 1801

The form you fill out isn't the NICS check, that is done over the phone. The form is just kept on file forever, just in case, I guess. The results of the NICS check are either sell or don't sell. Sometimes they put a "hold" on it for a day or two for some unknown reason...

State of Washington

I have been the name on a FFL for a business (GI Joe's) as the store manager.

When you purchase a gun you fill out the 4473 form that is used for the NICS check in this state. After it is filled out the store personell calls NICS (National Instant Criminal Background Check System). Which is conducted by the FBI. The NICS/FBI will give an approve, delay or deny. (Actually there are other answers too).

Regardless of the outcome the business keeps the form. At no time do you get the form back. The only way is to supoena the form through the courts. Several times I had the police or the FBI come to get information from the form with a supoena. The business is required to keep the information for 7 years. At Joe's the forms were kept for 20 years as per company policy. Ocassionally I had a customer come request the information who was going through a divorce and I instructed the customer to have their attorney file for the information as I could not give it out.

I hope that helps.
    Live Free or Die!