• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OTish: Requesting NICS report from FFL

Genken

Just a random question here, but how difficult do you guys(and gals) think it would be to request the NICS report from the store that sold you your pistol? Do "they" have to keep some sort of record of it? Or do "they" tend to shred/burn it after you pick up your pistol?

Thanks in advance.

END_THE_FED

I think its all done by phone but I'm not sure.
If its done by mail or fax I would guess that the gun store doesn't get a copy of your "record" I think they are just told if you "passed" or not. but I'm not sure just guessing.

Someone more useful then me will chime in shortly.

Genken

I remember seeing a yellow 3-page length sheet, tri-fold looking thing that they looked to have kept.

Also, is there any reason why NICS would allow a pistol to be purchased, but the people who do the WA CPL not allow it? A friend of mine at work has been having issues with that, and I told him I'd look into it.

END_THE_FED

so a friend was able to buy a handgun at a dealer but then he applied for a CPL and was denied? Maybe your friend should ask the DOL or the agency he applied at why it was denied.

I think some domestic violence crimes would prevent a CPL from being issued but may not disqualify someone on the FFL check.

I know that with long guns if the gun shop doesn't hear back from the FBI within the time frame they can go ahead with the sale. Basically the shop is waiting for the FBI to Deny you not to approve you. It might be the same thing with handguns.

oneeyeross

The form you fill out isn't the NICS check, that is done over the phone. The form is just kept on file forever, just in case, I guess. The results of the NICS check are either sell or don't sell. Sometimes they put a "hold" on it for a day or two for some unknown reason...

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
State of Washington

I have been the name on a FFL for a business (GI Joe's) as the store manager.

When you purchase a gun you fill out the 4473 form that is used for the NICS check in this state. After it is filled out the store personell calls NICS (National Instant Criminal Background Check System). Which is conducted by the FBI. The NICS/FBI will give an approve, delay or deny. (Actually there are other answers too).

Regardless of the outcome the business keeps the form. At no time do you get the form back. The only way is to supoena the form through the courts. Several times I had the police or the FBI come to get information from the form with a supoena. The business is required to keep the information for 7 years. At Joe's the forms were kept for 20 years as per company policy. Ocassionally I had a customer come request the information who was going through a divorce and I instructed the customer to have their attorney file for the information as I could not give it out.

I hope that helps.