19.08.030 Regulations and prohibited activities.
(1) No person shall use, place, or erect a signboard, billboard, bulletin board, post, pole, or device of any kind for advertising in parks, or attach a notice, bill, poster, sign, wire, rod, or cord to a tree, shrub, railing, post, or structure within parks, or without a written permit from the division, place or erect in parks a structure of any kind.
(2) No person shall remove, destroy, mutilate, or deface a structure, monument, statue, vase, fountain, wall, fence, railing, vehicle, bench, shrub, tree, fern, plant, flower, lighting system, or sprinkling system or other property lawfully in parks.
(3) No person shall allow or permit an animal under that personís control to run at large in parks, or enter a lake, pond, fountain, or stream therein. A person whose dog or other pet is in a Des Moines park is responsible for
removing feces deposited by such animal from the park.
(4) No person shall possess, shoot, fire, or explode fireworks, firecrackers, torpedos, or explosives of any kind or shoot or fire a firearm
, air gun, bow and arrow, BB gun, or use a slingshot in parks.
(5) No person shall, in any manner, tease, annoy, disturb, molest, catch, injure, or kill or throw a stone or missile of any kind at or strike with a stick or weapon an animal, bird, fowl, or fish, except as permitted and regulated by the laws of the state relative to fish and game.
(6) No person shall take up collections, or act as or play the vocation of solicitor, agent, peddler, fakir, mendicant, beggar, strolling musician, organ grinder, exhorter, barker, showman, or bootblack; or operate or use a loudspeaker or other mechanical or electronic means of amplifying sound in parks without a written permit from the division.
(7) No person shall hold, operate, or conduct a circus, festival, art show, carnival, or traveling exhibition in parks without a written permit from the city manager or the city managerís designee.
(8) No person shall hold a religious or political meeting or other assembly, or distribute literature in parks without first obtaining a written permit from the city manager or the city managerís designee.
(9) No person shall have, keep, or operate a power boat, float, raft, or other electrically or mechanically powered watercraft in or upon a bay, lake, slough, river, or creek, within the limits of a park, or launch the same at a point upon the shores thereof bordering upon a park, except nonpowered, hand-carried craft weighing less than 120 pounds may be launched at places set apart for such purposes by the division and so designated by signs. No boat trailers may be parked in parks without first obtaining a written permit from the city manager or the city managerís designee.
(10) No person shall ride or drive a bicycle, tricycle, motorcycle, motor vehicle, horse, or pony over or through a park except along and upon the park drives, parkways, or park boulevards; or at a speed in excess of 20 miles per hour; or stand or park a vehicle, except in designated areas or in accordance with signs, striping, or other methods that make clear the appropriate method or manner of parking. Improperly parked vehicles are subject to impound, where signs to that effect are posted. All ways open to the use of the public for purposes of vehicular travel shall be considered public highways for purposes of enforcement of Title 10
(11) No person shall camp in parks.
(12) Permits and schedules for the use of park facilities are officially issued or distributed by the city manager or the city managerís designee. Park facility rental policies and fees are adopted in writing by the city manager or the city managerís designee. Participants shall yield to the holder of such permits or schedules. Participants with or without a permit or schedule shall abide by rules and regulations when posted at a facility.
(13) No person shall dispose of refuse, litter, broken glass, crockery, nails, shrubbery, trimmings, junk, or advertising matter in parks or deposit such material therein, except in designated receptacles.
(14) No person shall deposit refuse, not generated in parks, in a receptacle within a park.
(15) No person shall engage in, conduct, or hold trials or competitions for speed, endurance, or hill climbing involving a vehicle, boat, aircraft, or animal in a park.
(16) No person shall build fires in a park except in areas designated by the division.
(17) No person shall bring into or consume in a park or facility alcoholic beverages without a written permit from the division.
(18) No person shall play golf within a park.
(19) Park facilities shall be used for their designed or intended purposes, and it is a violation of this chapter for a person to interfere with or prevent a person from using a park facility for its designed purposes.
(20) It is unlawful to remain in a park after the posted closing time.
(21) No person shall moor, anchor, dock, or berth a boat overnight in a park unless otherwise authorized by the city manager or the city managerís designee.
(22) All laws, rules, and regulations of the State Department of Fisheries relating to season, limits, and methods of taking, are applicable to the taking of shellfish or food fish in parks and associated marine areas, and in addition to such laws, rules, and regulations, the division may, upon its finding and for good cause, close certain park areas to the taking of shellfish or fish.
(23) No person shall swim or dive (including scubadiving) in waters adjacent to parks except at places set apart for such purposes by the division and so designated by signs, or except as otherwise authorized by the city manager or the city managerís designee.
(24) No person shall play radios, stereos, television sets, or similar devices at volumes such that they may be heard over 20 feet from the source.
(25) No person shall loiter in a public restroom or public bathing facility.
(26) No person shall wilfully violate a posted park rule.
[Ord. 1455 ß 5, 2009; Ord. 1030 ß 1, 1993: Ord. 758 ß 3, 1988.]