• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

KOIN Channel 6 VIDEO on opencarry.org

ak56

Campaign Veteran
I'll add my voice to the 'well done joe' chorus!

Well Done ! We have in the last year and a half recieved alot of great coverage .A great prelude to the Vancouver picnic.Great follow up to the Spokane parks story.
Signs are coming down in Parks all over the state.Over here we will have to work on Desmoines next.They put up gun ban signs a few weeks ago.

Looking at the DesMoines code, it looks like the parks department may have overstepped it's authority. The city code does not prohibit posession.
4) No person shall possess, shoot, fire, or explode fireworks, firecrackers, torpedos, or explosives of any kind or shoot or fire a firearm, air gun, bow and arrow, BB gun, or use a slingshot in parks.

However, there are a couple of other problems.
9.36.030 Weapons prohibited on liquor sale premises.
(1) Except as provided in subsection (2) of this section, it is unlawful for a person, on or in a premises in the city where alcoholic beverages are dispensed by the drink to:
(a) Carry a firearm, rifle or handgun, whether the person has a license or permit to carry a firearm or not, and whether the firearm is concealed or not;

9.36.040 Firearms prohibited – Additional places – Penalty.
(1) It is unlawful for a person to enter the following places when the person knowingly possesses or knowingly has under the person’s control a firearm:
(a) The council chambers of the Des Moines city council; or

jt59

Err, isn't the real issue with the first part of the sentence?

(4) No person shall possess...

That is kinda what I was thinking Joe, however they would not be getting you on a firearms violation necessarily, it would be a violation of city parks code (26) violating a posted park rule.

I guess I am just quadruple checking that the preemption would follow ALL the way through....

trevorthebusdriver

The lady in the park "I don't know if they even know how to use it".

Um, I guess you don't have to worry about getting shot then. :)

The reporter said you can't carry at schools, but you can to drop off or pick up but not go in the buildings.

ak56

Campaign Veteran
Err, isn't the real issue with the first part of the sentence?

(4) No person shall possess...

Actually, no.

Breaking down the sentence into it's three parts:

4) No person shall possess, shoot, fire, or explode fireworks, firecrackers, torpedos, or explosives of any kind
or
shoot or fire a firearm, air gun, bow and arrow, BB gun,
or
use a slingshot in parks.

Possess, shoot, fire, and explode apply to fireworks, firecrackers, torpedos, and explosives

Shoot and fire apply to firearms, air guns, bows and arrows, and BB guns

and Use applies to slingshots.

Tawnos

Actually, no.

Breaking down the sentence into it's three parts:

4) No person shall possess, shoot, fire, or explode fireworks, firecrackers, torpedos, or explosives of any kind
or
shoot or fire a firearm, air gun, bow and arrow, BB gun,
or
use a slingshot in parks.

Possess, shoot, fire, and explode apply to fireworks, firecrackers, torpedos, and explosives

Shoot and fire apply to firearms, air guns, bows and arrows, and BB guns

and Use applies to slingshots.
You know, being a grammar...enthusiast - this is exactly what semicolon list separation was made for!

No person shall possess, shoot, fire, or explode fireworks, firecrackers, torpedos, or explosives of any kind; shoot or fire a firearm, air gun, bow and arrow, BB gun; or use a slingshot in parks.

Ta da! Suddenly it parses!

joejoejoe

You know, being a grammar...enthusiast - this is exactly what semicolon list separation was made for!

No person shall possess, shoot, fire, or explode fireworks, firecrackers, torpedos, or explosives of any kind; shoot or fire a firearm, air gun, bow and arrow, BB gun; or use a slingshot in parks.

Ta da! Suddenly it parses!

Unfortunately, I was the only one in my glass to get 100% on all my grammar tests. Though on the internet I don't care much to be correct, I have to step in here!!!

The semicolon is intended to be used like the period; it separates two independent sentences. Like the sentence before me, the semicolon is best used when you want to separate the sentences but you also want to verify that they belong to each other. The dash is used when you want to add additional information that is vital to the topic at hand - unlike the comma (which is used to add information that is supplemental). To use your sentence as a foundation, you should have said, "You know, being a grammar enthusiast, this is exactly was the semicolon list separation was made for." Being supplemental information, being a grammar enthusiast has nothing to do with the sentence. My English teacher said her Principle sent an email saying, "All teachers, who are Science teachers, will receive Monday off." She replied saying, "So I get Monday off?" Seeing as how the sentence would just read:

All teachers (who just so happen to be science teachers also) will receive Monday off.

It should say:

No person shall possess, shoot, fire, or explode fireworks, firecrackers, torpedos, or explosives of any kind. No person shall shoot or fire a firearm, air gun, bow and arrow, BB gun, or use a slingshot in parks.

So yeeaaaaahh..... sorry :)

Joe~

Last edited:

Tawnos

Unfortunately, I was the only one in my glass to get 100% on all my grammar tests. Though on the internet I don't care much to be correct, I have to step in here!!!

The semicolon is intended to be used like the period; it separates two independent sentences. Like the sentence before me, the semicolon is best used when you want to separate the sentences but you also want to verify that they belong to each other. The dash is used when you want to add additional information that is vital to the topic at hand - unlike the comma (which is used to add information that is supplemental). To use your sentence as a foundation, you should have said, "You know, being a grammar enthusiast, this is exactly was the semicolon list separation was made for." Being supplemental information, being a grammar enthusiast has nothing to do with the sentence. My English teacher said her Principle sent an email saying, "All teachers, who are Science teachers, will receive Monday off." She replied saying, "So I get Monday off?" Seeing as how the sentence would just read:

All teachers (who just so happen to be science teachers also) will receive Monday off.

It should say:

No person shall possess, shoot, fire, or explode fireworks, firecrackers, torpedos, or explosives of any kind. No person shall shoot or fire a firearm, air gun, bow and arrow, BB gun, or use a slingshot in parks.

So yeeaaaaahh..... sorry :)

Joe~

Not quite, there's another use for the semicolon: http://lilt.ilstu.edu/golson/punctuation/semicolon.html
2) As Supercomma

As you know, you normally separate the members of a list with commas, as in this sentence:

I have just bought shares in IBM, USAG, and ITT.

The commas let the reader know where one item ends and the next begins. Sometimes, however, you have a list of complex items and one (or more) of the items already contains a comma. In such a case, the reader is likely to get confused about what is really a member of the list and what is not. You can avoid this confusion by making the semicolon a sort of“supercomma.”Look at the sentence below to see how the supercomma works:

Suncom Corporation has subsidiaries in four cities: New York, New York, Wilmington, Ohio, Houston, Texas, and San Francisco, California.

This sentence contains so many commas, both between the members of the list and within them, that readers are likely to become confused. Instead, you can make the semicolon a supercomma between each of the members so that your meaning is clear:

Suncom Corporation has subsidiaries in four cities: New York, New York; Wilmington, Ohio; Houston, Texas; and San Francisco, California.

The second sentence is clearer than the first because the reader knows exactly where members of the list begin and end. You probably will not need to use a semicolon as a supercomma often, but if your sentence contains a list of items, one (or more) of which already contains a comma, you can clarify your meaning by using the supercomma.