• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

KOIN Channel 6 VIDEO on opencarry.org

Bill Starks

State Researcher
I really wish someone can find a way to safe this video because I do not know how to.

Ask and ye shall receive..... (10.6mb size file)
http://forum.nwcdl.org/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;id=69

Using Firefox? https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/53003/
Download Flash and Video is a great download helper tool that let you download Flash games and Flash videos (YouTube, Facebook, Dailymotion, Google Videos and more) with a single click. The downloader is very easy to use. Questions on its use? Just PM me....

Need a player for FLV files? I suggest "Wimpy Player"
http://www.wimpyplayer.com/products/wimpy_standalone_flv_player.html

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
It makes me nervous to see all those adults out in the parks with children. You don't know if they are child molesters or abusers, or heaven forbid have refused to have their kids immunized against contagious diseases. But somehow they all get to wander around without anybody objecting to them being there.

At least with the person openly carrying all those folks can easily pick out who to watch and see if their behavior warrants getting nervous about. But wait! That would be rational. Isn't there a law against rationality or logic or common sense? There probably is, the way folks seem to avoid them.

stay safe.

joejoejoe

It makes me nervous to see all those adults out in the parks with children. You don't know if they are child molesters or abusers, or heaven forbid have refused to have their kids immunized against contagious diseases. But somehow they all get to wander around without anybody objecting to them being there.

At least with the person openly carrying all those folks can easily pick out who to watch and see if their behavior warrants getting nervous about. But wait! That would be rational. Isn't there a law against rationality or logic or common sense? There probably is, the way folks seem to avoid them.

stay safe.

LOL. No joke! The lady on the interview said something like, "Why do they even have a gun? That makes me nervous." The ignorance in education there shocks me. People carry guns. At least with us open carriers, you can point out who has one. If everyone concealed, their ignorance on guns wouldn't make them any safer in their eyes.

Joe~

gsx1138

It's been so long since I've seen actual reporting. They just laid out the facts. They offered one counter statement but stuck to the story. No opinion, snide comments, or made up laws. That's very impressive.

Lovenox

stay safe.

*Two enthusastic thumbs UP!*

DEROS72

Well Done ! We have in the last year and a half recieved alot of great coverage .A great prelude to the Vancouver picnic.Great follow up to the Spokane parks story.
Signs are coming down in Parks all over the state.Over here we will have to work on Desmoines next.They put up gun ban signs a few weeks ago.

Last edited:

devildoc5

Kids might get the wrong idea.

What exactly would that wrong idea be? That's guns dont kill people? That it is OK to defend yourself? That a little preparedness never hurt anyone? That not everyone that carries a gun is a BG?

I don't like it because I don't know that guy. Or if he even knows how to use a gun.

Ok and you know all cops too? HALF the cops I know cant hit the broadside of a barn. (no LEO bashing intended, just an observation) So much more I coulld say in response but I am sure you all get the gist of my rebuttal to the nonsensical ramblings of todays "mothers" Perhaps some should spend more time working on raising their kids properly. Not all mothers are bad, but I have noticed a LOT more snot-nosed mouthy brats recently than I remember....

devildoc5

Deros: Not sure about the signs but a cursory review of Des Moines parks code turns up:

19.08.030 Regulations and prohibited activities.

(1) No person shall use, place, or erect a signboard, billboard, bulletin board, post, pole, or device of any kind for advertising in parks, or attach a notice, bill, poster, sign, wire, rod, or cord to a tree, shrub, railing, post, or structure within parks, or without a written permit from the division, place or erect in parks a structure of any kind.
(2) No person shall remove, destroy, mutilate, or deface a structure, monument, statue, vase, fountain, wall, fence, railing, vehicle, bench, shrub, tree, fern, plant, flower, lighting system, or sprinkling system or other property lawfully in parks.
(3) No person shall allow or permit an animal under that person’s control to run at large in parks, or enter a lake, pond, fountain, or stream therein. A person whose dog or other pet is in a Des Moines park is responsible for
removing feces deposited by such animal from the park.
(4) No person shall possess, shoot, fire, or explode fireworks, firecrackers, torpedos, or explosives of any kind or shoot or fire a firearm, air gun, bow and arrow, BB gun, or use a slingshot in parks.
(5) No person shall, in any manner, tease, annoy, disturb, molest, catch, injure, or kill or throw a stone or missile of any kind at or strike with a stick or weapon an animal, bird, fowl, or fish, except as permitted and regulated by the laws of the state relative to fish and game.
(6) No person shall take up collections, or act as or play the vocation of solicitor, agent, peddler, fakir, mendicant, beggar, strolling musician, organ grinder, exhorter, barker, showman, or bootblack; or operate or use a loudspeaker or other mechanical or electronic means of amplifying sound in parks without a written permit from the division.
(7) No person shall hold, operate, or conduct a circus, festival, art show, carnival, or traveling exhibition in parks without a written permit from the city manager or the city manager’s designee.
(8) No person shall hold a religious or political meeting or other assembly, or distribute literature in parks without first obtaining a written permit from the city manager or the city manager’s designee.
(9) No person shall have, keep, or operate a power boat, float, raft, or other electrically or mechanically powered watercraft in or upon a bay, lake, slough, river, or creek, within the limits of a park, or launch the same at a point upon the shores thereof bordering upon a park, except nonpowered, hand-carried craft weighing less than 120 pounds may be launched at places set apart for such purposes by the division and so designated by signs. No boat trailers may be parked in parks without first obtaining a written permit from the city manager or the city manager’s designee.
(10) No person shall ride or drive a bicycle, tricycle, motorcycle, motor vehicle, horse, or pony over or through a park except along and upon the park drives, parkways, or park boulevards; or at a speed in excess of 20 miles per hour; or stand or park a vehicle, except in designated areas or in accordance with signs, striping, or other methods that make clear the appropriate method or manner of parking. Improperly parked vehicles are subject to impound, where signs to that effect are posted. All ways open to the use of the public for purposes of vehicular travel shall be considered public highways for purposes of enforcement of Title 10 DMMC.
(11) No person shall camp in parks.
(12) Permits and schedules for the use of park facilities are officially issued or distributed by the city manager or the city manager’s designee. Park facility rental policies and fees are adopted in writing by the city manager or the city manager’s designee. Participants shall yield to the holder of such permits or schedules. Participants with or without a permit or schedule shall abide by rules and regulations when posted at a facility.
(13) No person shall dispose of refuse, litter, broken glass, crockery, nails, shrubbery, trimmings, junk, or advertising matter in parks or deposit such material therein, except in designated receptacles.
(14) No person shall deposit refuse, not generated in parks, in a receptacle within a park.
(15) No person shall engage in, conduct, or hold trials or competitions for speed, endurance, or hill climbing involving a vehicle, boat, aircraft, or animal in a park.
(16) No person shall build fires in a park except in areas designated by the division.
(17) No person shall bring into or consume in a park or facility alcoholic beverages without a written permit from the division.
(18) No person shall play golf within a park.
(19) Park facilities shall be used for their designed or intended purposes, and it is a violation of this chapter for a person to interfere with or prevent a person from using a park facility for its designed purposes.
(20) It is unlawful to remain in a park after the posted closing time.
(21) No person shall moor, anchor, dock, or berth a boat overnight in a park unless otherwise authorized by the city manager or the city manager’s designee.
(22) All laws, rules, and regulations of the State Department of Fisheries relating to season, limits, and methods of taking, are applicable to the taking of shellfish or food fish in parks and associated marine areas, and in addition to such laws, rules, and regulations, the division may, upon its finding and for good cause, close certain park areas to the taking of shellfish or fish.
(23) No person shall swim or dive (including scubadiving) in waters adjacent to parks except at places set apart for such purposes by the division and so designated by signs, or except as otherwise authorized by the city manager or the city manager’s designee.
(24) No person shall play radios, stereos, television sets, or similar devices at volumes such that they may be heard over 20 feet from the source.
(25) No person shall loiter in a public restroom or public bathing facility.
(26) No person shall wilfully violate a posted park rule. [Ord. 1455 § 5, 2009; Ord. 1030 § 1, 1993: Ord. 758 § 3, 1988.]

So the code itself appears to be in line with state law as far as I can tell. However if the sign states firearms are illegal then the person would not be in violation of number 4 as it is preempted by state law but would be in violation of number 26?

Is that how I understand that legal mumbo jumbo?

joejoejoe

If a SIGN says firearms are illegal but the CODE does not, then the SIGN is wrong, and YOU are right. If the CODE says firearms are illegal and so does the SIGN, you are still in the right because of the preemption law states:

Such local ordinances shall have the same penalty as provided for by state law. Local laws and ordinances that are inconsistent with, more restrictive than, or exceed the requirements of state law shall not be enacted and are preempted and repealed, regardless of the nature of the code, charter, or home rule status of such city, town, county, or municipality.

Discharge is still illegal according to Washington State. Unless it is in self defense, of course...

Joe~

devildoc5

That is kinda what I was thinking Joe, however they would not be getting you on a firearms violation necessarily, it would be a violation of city parks code (26) violating a posted park rule.

I guess I am just quadruple checking that the preemption would follow ALL the way through....