Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: In the next few months I'm planning on getting a gun.

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    47

    In the next few months I'm planning on getting a gun.

    In the next few months, budgetary concerns being a factor, I would like to start seriously shopping for a handgun. I think I'll be able to spend around $350 or so. Now, I know that I won't get the cream of the crop with that price range but I'm sure I can get something that'll do the job it needs to. I'd like to get something powerful and I've decided I want a double action revolver because of revolvers not jamming, the ability to just simply point and shoot instead of taking precious seconds pulling the hammer back should the moment arise. Any suggestions? Also, if anyone carries revolvers, are there problems with the hammer snagging on clothes or holsters?

  2. #2
    Regular Member PaulX608's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Manassas, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    93
    My reegular daily carry piece is a Taurus 850. .38 Special, 2", 5 shot, concealed hammer. Easy to carry, open or concealed. Easy to operate. No hammer to snag on anything. I've had it for a few years, but I think I paid around $300 for it new. Taurus has a lifetime warranty as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	850B.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	14.5 KB 
ID:	3613  
    Last edited by PaulX608; 08-18-2010 at 07:38 AM.

  3. #3
    Founder's Club Member ixtow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Suwannee County, FL
    Posts
    5,069
    +1 ^

    I think that suggestion is going to be hard to beat in that price range.

  4. #4
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    There are quite a few of us wheelgunners still around. OCing a wheelgun OWB (outside the waistband) eliminates most of the concerns there might be about the hammer or other parts snagging on clothing. A good holster - yes, even some of the inexpensive nylon ones qualify as "good" holsters - with some sort of retention strap should not present a snagging problem.

    The "common wisdom" seems to be that snubbies - those with barrels less than 3 inches long - are easier to carry but harder to shoot accurately than their longer-barreled relatives. That goes for both wheelguns and bottom-feeders. Although I carry both kinds of snubbies, I am in agreement with the "common wisdom". It just means I need to train to be able to effectively use what I carry - just like with a longer-barreled firearm.

    You don't say where you are located. Check to see if there is a range nearby where you can rent a variety of models to try out. The expense up front may save you a larger cost on a purchase that does not work out for you. Also keep your eyes open for an OC dining event near you. Get to meet the folks in your area and pick their brains for what's worthwhile.

    Come back and tell us what you bought. Post pictures, too.

    stay safe.

  5. #5
    Regular Member RussP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Central Virginia
    Posts
    393
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulX608 View Post
    My reegular daily carry piece is a Taurus 850. .38 Special, 2", 5 shot, concealed hammer. Easy to carry, open or concealed. Easy to operate. No hammer to snag on anything. I've had it for a few years, but I think I paid around $300 for it new. Taurus has a lifetime warranty as well.
    Agree...Mrs. RussP has had one for a few years. She likes it for all the reasons Paul gave.
    Freedom has a taste to those who fight and almost die, that the protected will never know.

  6. #6
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671
    I love all handguns equally (with Glock being just a notch above )

    I carry both SA's and revolvers. Love my Colt Detective Special to death. I would suggest looking for a decent revolver on vaguntrader. You shouldnt have trouble finding something.

    Also, in case you are interested - S&W has a .40 SA for something like $320 with a $50 rebate. $270 is damn cheap for a semi-auto, NIB.
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    700
    http://vaguntrader.com/view_topic.ph...736&forum_id=3

    I dunno about that laser setup though... I'd probably take that off.

  8. #8
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    My opinion is a wheelgun or a 1911. The 1911 is a city gun only.

    I'll be honest, I don't like 38 Spl. It may be better than a 22 though

    Taurus is hard to beat but if you have to stay with a mid bore, get a 357.
    I like a 4" barrel better than 2" and a good compromise is 3"

    Rossi makes good revolvers but only after you pull it apart, do a complete action job and replace all the springs. It's on par with Taurus then.

    If you don't mind used, look for a Ruger. All you have to do to it is change out the mainspring.

    Just FYI, revolvers can and do jam and modern autos are not as picky as they once were.
    Last edited by peter nap; 08-18-2010 at 10:16 AM.

  9. #9
    Campaign Veteran Dutch Uncle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,715

    Pulling the hammer back.

    The OP shouldn't be thinking of "saving precious seconds" when pulling the hammer back, as this is unsafe tactically and legally. Single action pulls are for target work. In an adrenaline-charged event, a negligent discharge in SA is more likely Most modern revolvers are both single action/double action, with the DA pull being used for self defense. Semi-autos often have both SA/DA pulls as well, and even the SA only types like the 1911 should be carried with the safety (or safeties) on, then disengaged when drawn. If you pull a revolver hammer back and use SA pull, even a justifiable shoot might go bad if a jury is lead to believe that using a "hair trigger" shows disregard for life, etc. etc. The OP should consider getting a revolver with a concealed hammer. Two advantages: no hammer spur to get caught on clothing during a draw and no SA pull for juries to get worried about. The one illustrated above is a good choice IMHO.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    700
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    The OP shouldn't be thinking of "saving precious seconds" when pulling the hammer back, as this is unsafe tactically and legally. Single action pulls are for target work. In an adrenaline-charged event, a negligent discharge in SA is more likely Most modern revolvers are both single action/double action, with the DA pull being used for self defense. Semi-autos often have both SA/DA pulls as well, and even the SA only types like the 1911 should be carried with the safety (or safeties) on, then disengaged when drawn. If you pull a revolver hammer back and use SA pull, even a justifiable shoot might go bad if a jury is lead to believe that using a "hair trigger" shows disregard for life, etc. etc. The OP should consider getting a revolver with a concealed hammer. Two advantages: no hammer spur to get caught on clothing during a draw and no SA pull for juries to get worried about. The one illustrated above is a good choice IMHO.
    ProShooter was using SA as an abbreviation for semi-auto and not single action, as I understood it.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3,156
    Quote Originally Posted by mrt6812 View Post
    In the next few months, budgetary concerns being a factor, I would like to start seriously shopping for a handgun. I think I'll be able to spend around $350 or so. Now, I know that I won't get the cream of the crop with that price range but I'm sure I can get something that'll do the job it needs to. I'd like to get something powerful and I've decided I want a double action revolver because of revolvers not jamming, the ability to just simply point and shoot instead of taking precious seconds pulling the hammer back should the moment arise. Any suggestions? Also, if anyone carries revolvers, are there problems with the hammer snagging on clothes or holsters?
    Look for a trade-in S&W 10 or 64. It's a standard 4" .38 revolver but the basic design has been around for over 100 years so they've more than proved themselves. They can be had under $300 too. Load it up with some 135gr Speer Gold Dots or 158gr Lead Semi-Wadcutter Hollow Points and you're good to go. For a little more you might be able to find a used Ruger SP101 .357 which might conceal a little easier. Or if you're lucky you'll be able to find a Ruger or S&W .357 used for under 400.

  12. #12
    Regular Member PaulX608's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Manassas, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by nova View Post
    Look for a trade-in S&W 10 or 64. It's a standard 4" .38 revolver but the basic design has been around for over 100 years so they've more than proved themselves. They can be had under $300 too.
    +1 ^

    My other carry revolver is a 4" S&W 65. I love carrying that one IWB. Always surprises friends how well it conceals for it's size. Paid $270 for it.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Eastern Shore, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    23
    I also own a Smith & Wesson 65. They would be a fine gun for what you are looking for. They can often be had for under $400. I paid $325 for my 65-2 with a 4" barrel.

    If you're not in a huge rush to get a gun, you should scope out VaGunTrader. I've seen quite a few deals on that site. Good luck with whichever gun you choose.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    15

    Thumbs up

    A nice compromise would be a .38+P or 9MM chambered revolver. .38's and 9MM are proven. .357 can be tough to shoot and larger/heavier/bulkier for daily concealed carry. Go rent and shoot some different ones and see if your comfy w/ a snubby or a 3" or even 4" barrell. I prefer a revolver to semi/autoloader GREATLY for non-combat "carry". My 642 S&W was tough to shoot w the +P's but, the added long grips and laser make it reliable and confident of use...

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    333
    [QUOTE=peter nap;1334293]My opinion is a wheelgun or a 1911. The 1911 is a city gun only.QUOTE]

    Peter, what exactly is a city gun? Does this mean that my 1911's have to stay home if not in the city?


    To to OP. I would agree with the revolver recomendation others have made in this thread. You can find some real buys on the used markets, Colt or Smith & Wesson are plentiful used, and many of them are in great condition.

    http://www.gunsamerica.com/917794990...4_in_SS_HB.htm

    http://www.gunsamerica.com/967373478...in_VG_1994.htm

    http://www.gunsamerica.com/953959764...d_38_P_NEW.htm

    These are all in your price range, of course as with any online purchase care does need to be taken. One option would be a loacl gun show. I have picked up some great firearms with cash on the barrelhead on Sunday around 1:00 pm and the dealers looking for gas money home. I would not recommed a 1911 unless you already shoot and are accustom to semi autos.



    Steve
    Steve


    "Life is hard, its even harder when you are stupid!"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •