• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

In the next few months I'm planning on getting a gun.

mrt6812

In the next few months, budgetary concerns being a factor, I would like to start seriously shopping for a handgun. I think I'll be able to spend around $350 or so. Now, I know that I won't get the cream of the crop with that price range but I'm sure I can get something that'll do the job it needs to. I'd like to get something powerful and I've decided I want a double action revolver because of revolvers not jamming, the ability to just simply point and shoot instead of taking precious seconds pulling the hammer back should the moment arise. Any suggestions? Also, if anyone carries revolvers, are there problems with the hammer snagging on clothes or holsters?

PaulX608

My reegular daily carry piece is a Taurus 850. .38 Special, 2", 5 shot, concealed hammer. Easy to carry, open or concealed. Easy to operate. No hammer to snag on anything. I've had it for a few years, but I think I paid around $300 for it new. Taurus has a lifetime warranty as well.

Attachments

• 850B.jpg
    850B.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
There are quite a few of us wheelgunners still around. OCing a wheelgun OWB (outside the waistband) eliminates most of the concerns there might be about the hammer or other parts snagging on clothing. A good holster - yes, even some of the inexpensive nylon ones qualify as "good" holsters - with some sort of retention strap should not present a snagging problem.

The "common wisdom" seems to be that snubbies - those with barrels less than 3 inches long - are easier to carry but harder to shoot accurately than their longer-barreled relatives. That goes for both wheelguns and bottom-feeders. Although I carry both kinds of snubbies, I am in agreement with the "common wisdom". It just means I need to train to be able to effectively use what I carry - just like with a longer-barreled firearm.

You don't say where you are located. Check to see if there is a range nearby where you can rent a variety of models to try out. The expense up front may save you a larger cost on a purchase that does not work out for you. Also keep your eyes open for an OC dining event near you. Get to meet the folks in your area and pick their brains for what's worthwhile.

Come back and tell us what you bought. Post pictures, too.

stay safe.

RussP

My reegular daily carry piece is a Taurus 850. .38 Special, 2", 5 shot, concealed hammer. Easy to carry, open or concealed. Easy to operate. No hammer to snag on anything. I've had it for a few years, but I think I paid around $300 for it new. Taurus has a lifetime warranty as well.
Agree...Mrs. RussP has had one for a few years. She likes it for all the reasons Paul gave.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
I love all handguns equally (with Glock being just a notch above :))

I carry both SA's and revolvers. Love my Colt Detective Special to death. I would suggest looking for a decent revolver on vaguntrader. You shouldnt have trouble finding something.

Also, in case you are interested - S&W has a .40 SA for something like $320 with a $50 rebate. $270 is damn cheap for a semi-auto, NIB.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
My opinion is a wheelgun or a 1911. The 1911 is a city gun only.

I'll be honest, I don't like 38 Spl. It may be better than a 22 though:uhoh:

Taurus is hard to beat but if you have to stay with a mid bore, get a 357.
I like a 4" barrel better than 2" and a good compromise is 3"

Rossi makes good revolvers but only after you pull it apart, do a complete action job and replace all the springs. It's on par with Taurus then.

If you don't mind used, look for a Ruger. All you have to do to it is change out the mainspring.

Just FYI, revolvers can and do jam and modern autos are not as picky as they once were.

Last edited:

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
Pulling the hammer back.

The OP shouldn't be thinking of "saving precious seconds" when pulling the hammer back, as this is unsafe tactically and legally. Single action pulls are for target work. In an adrenaline-charged event, a negligent discharge in SA is more likely Most modern revolvers are both single action/double action, with the DA pull being used for self defense. Semi-autos often have both SA/DA pulls as well, and even the SA only types like the 1911 should be carried with the safety (or safeties) on, then disengaged when drawn. If you pull a revolver hammer back and use SA pull, even a justifiable shoot might go bad if a jury is lead to believe that using a "hair trigger" shows disregard for life, etc. etc. The OP should consider getting a revolver with a concealed hammer. Two advantages: no hammer spur to get caught on clothing during a draw and no SA pull for juries to get worried about. The one illustrated above is a good choice IMHO.

curtiswr

The OP shouldn't be thinking of "saving precious seconds" when pulling the hammer back, as this is unsafe tactically and legally. Single action pulls are for target work. In an adrenaline-charged event, a negligent discharge in SA is more likely Most modern revolvers are both single action/double action, with the DA pull being used for self defense. Semi-autos often have both SA/DA pulls as well, and even the SA only types like the 1911 should be carried with the safety (or safeties) on, then disengaged when drawn. If you pull a revolver hammer back and use SA pull, even a justifiable shoot might go bad if a jury is lead to believe that using a "hair trigger" shows disregard for life, etc. etc. The OP should consider getting a revolver with a concealed hammer. Two advantages: no hammer spur to get caught on clothing during a draw and no SA pull for juries to get worried about. The one illustrated above is a good choice IMHO.

ProShooter was using SA as an abbreviation for semi-auto and not single action, as I understood it.

nova

In the next few months, budgetary concerns being a factor, I would like to start seriously shopping for a handgun. I think I'll be able to spend around $350 or so. Now, I know that I won't get the cream of the crop with that price range but I'm sure I can get something that'll do the job it needs to. I'd like to get something powerful and I've decided I want a double action revolver because of revolvers not jamming, the ability to just simply point and shoot instead of taking precious seconds pulling the hammer back should the moment arise. Any suggestions? Also, if anyone carries revolvers, are there problems with the hammer snagging on clothes or holsters?

Look for a trade-in S&W 10 or 64. It's a standard 4" .38 revolver but the basic design has been around for over 100 years so they've more than proved themselves. They can be had under $300 too. Load it up with some 135gr Speer Gold Dots or 158gr Lead Semi-Wadcutter Hollow Points and you're good to go. For a little more you might be able to find a used Ruger SP101 .357 which might conceal a little easier. Or if you're lucky you'll be able to find a Ruger or S&W .357 used for under 400.

PaulX608

Look for a trade-in S&W 10 or 64. It's a standard 4" .38 revolver but the basic design has been around for over 100 years so they've more than proved themselves. They can be had under $300 too.

+1 ^

My other carry revolver is a 4" S&W 65. I love carrying that one IWB. Always surprises friends how well it conceals for it's size. Paid $270 for it.

Lethal Overdose

I also own a Smith & Wesson 65. They would be a fine gun for what you are looking for. They can often be had for under $400. I paid $325 for my 65-2 with a 4" barrel.

If you're not in a huge rush to get a gun, you should scope out VaGunTrader. I've seen quite a few deals on that site. Good luck with whichever gun you choose.

JeffinWesternWA

A nice compromise would be a .38+P or 9MM chambered revolver. .38's and 9MM are proven. .357 can be tough to shoot and larger/heavier/bulkier for daily concealed carry. Go rent and shoot some different ones and see if your comfy w/ a snubby or a 3" or even 4" barrell. I prefer a revolver to semi/autoloader GREATLY for non-combat "carry". My 642 S&W was tough to shoot w the +P's but, the added long grips and laser make it reliable and confident of use...

.45acp

My opinion is a wheelgun or a 1911. The 1911 is a city gun only.QUOTE]

Peter, what exactly is a city gun? Does this mean that my 1911's have to stay home if not in the city?

To to OP. I would agree with the revolver recomendation others have made in this thread. You can find some real buys on the used markets, Colt or Smith & Wesson are plentiful used, and many of them are in great condition.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/91779499...4_5_Exc_Satin_Stainless_Custom_4_in_SS_HB.htm

http://www.gunsamerica.com/96737347...lver/S_W_38_Spl_P_64_5_SS_HB_4_in_VG_1994.htm

http://www.gunsamerica.com/95395976...h_Wesson_638_Airweight_Bodyguard_38_P_NEW.htm

These are all in your price range, of course as with any online purchase care does need to be taken. One option would be a loacl gun show. I have picked up some great firearms with cash on the barrelhead on Sunday around 1:00 pm and the dealers looking for gas money home. I would not recommed a 1911 unless you already shoot and are accustom to semi autos.

Steve