• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wal-Marts Corporate OC policy, to all nay sayer's, OC'ing OK in Wal-Mart

spinner

Let me be clear I never had a problem OC'ing in Wal-Mart. So I wasn't sure if I should do this because I wasn't sure what answer I would get from "corporate not my local store" if any, but I'm glad I did. Please copy this and carry it on you or in your car when you visit Wal-Mart. I did this because I have read in some thread's of others not OC'ing in Wal-Mart or having some problems. Any other policies Letters from store's can also be printed here. GOD BLESS ----Your Original Comments Were----

I live a stone's throw from a Wal-Mart in North Carolinia, I have 5 children so I am in there alot and I have never had a incident or a problem with my question. But I was wondering what Wal-Marts policy was on carrying firearms in your stores were. As you probably know, NC. is one of the most gun friendly states in our country and (not in mine, to bad) you sell fire arms in your stores. It is pretty common to see people walking and driving around with guns here. So most people don't even blink when they see one. so I guess my question would be, do you have a policy and if so what is it, or since state laws vary do you just abide by state and federal law? Thank you for your time for reading this, and I thank you ahead of time for getting back to me.

*** Walmart
Confidential *** Thank you for your message.

Dear loyal customer,

Thank you for contacting Wal-Mart Customer Relations!

There is no policy against customers carrying their handgun in our stores as long as he/she is legally permitted by their state to carry the handgun.

As a private property owner, Walmart has the authority to ask customers to remove their handgun or leave the store on a case-by-case basis if customers or Walmart associates express concerns about the handgun.

Sincerely,
Walmart Customer Relations

rljohnson77

Wallie-World Policy

If I read their comments correctly, you can be asked to not carry if ANYONE complains.

I can remember when Sam Walton was alive and Wal-Mart sold pistols and long rifles. They sold ammo by the truck load. Today, they are a sad shadow of what they used to be.

Rick Johnson
PAUL REVERE RADIO

spinner

They dont have a policy against OC and it is allowed as long as it is followed according to state regulations. My expierience there is don't touch it, go about your business and you shouldn't have a problem. Of course there are yahoo's out there who don't agree and will try to cause a scene, stay calm, explain your right's, and Wal-Marts policy. I guess it's up to the store manager on duty of who's causing the scene.

Last edited:

Resto Guy

The way I read it, Wal Mart Corporate allows individual store management to allow or eject carriers at a whim. It's okay as long as everyone in the building thinks it's okay.
A pretty Jello-kneed stance in my opinion. Sounds like a politicians response.

spinner

It is I agree, but it could be worse they could have just said no and we have a no gun policy. Every store has the right to ask you to not come in with your gun, so even though this is a wishy washy stance and until the law states that stores are open to the public so inside they are public property, we have to grit are teeth and take what we have. Maybe not like it but deal with it for now. GOD BLESS

sultan62

snip
until the law states that stores are open to the public so inside they are public property, we have to grit are teeth and take what we have. Maybe not like it but deal with it for now. GOD BLESS

Won't happen, shouldn't happen. No rights should be taken away, including private property rights. Even those of a corporation. Remember, they have the right to refuse service to anyone.

Our rights end where another's begin.

jt59

Won't happen, shouldn't happen. No rights should be taken away, including private property rights. Even those of a corporation. Remember, they have the right to refuse service to anyone.

Our rights end where another's begin.

Yup...

No shirts, no shoes......no service.

chiefjason

The way I read it, Wal Mart Corporate allows individual store management to allow or eject carriers at a whim. It's okay as long as everyone in the building thinks it's okay.
A pretty Jello-kneed stance in my opinion. Sounds like a politicians response.

Well, as has been stated that's what happens when you are on another property. As someone who has had an issue with a Walmart Manager because I was OC'ing, let me give you my experience.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?66546-Confronted-at-WalMart&highlight=walmart

If you are told to leave, then leave. Or else you will be trespassing. ASAP, call 1800walmart and complain. It will be forwarded to the store and a manager has to call you within a certain amount of time. This call is then logged back to corporate. If the manager is being evasive or does not know, ask to speak to the Asset Protection Mgr. It is part of their job to know this little tidbit. You may be asked to leave initially, but if you are within what is allowed by the state then you should be fine.

spinner

In my perfect world OC'ing would be legal everywhere, and I do like knowing where I can and cannot carry before I walk in ie... sign's. But in the Wal-Mart case it's legal. We'll just have to deal with the policy of, if no one causes a scene the manager won't have to make a decision of who has to leave. You or the whining person who is "scared". Just have to hope to get a 2'nd ammender manager I guess, cause it would be nice to here a store say " it's legal, if you feel threatened I'm sorry, but I am not going to have him leave. He's not doing anything wrong. If you don't like it you can wait until he leaves, then you can come back and shop". Boy that would be perfect to hear.