• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fire mission: Poll - Should parents teach their children how to use guns?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Another poll that allows Chicago-style (vote early, vote often) balloting.

At least this one has the majority of responses on "our" side.

stay safe.

wylde007

My daughter got her first safety lesson at 4 years old.
Discretion is the word... if mine seems ready, then that's when we'll start.

Not a moment sooner.

I'm glad yours exhibited enough character and you enough faith in her to begin the instruction early in life. I hope to be equally blessed.

warthog

No

No. Their school teachers should.

Why would you take this position, especially if you agree with many folks on this forum that when it comes to defending yourself and your family, that it is generally not a good thing to relinquish personal responsibility to the government?

My responsibility to protect my family _includes_ teaching my children to protect themselves through safe handling of firearms. I do not wait for the schools to teach them for me, although it's nice that Virginia just passed a law requiring firearm safety lessons in public schools. I've already taught my kids the basics of the NRA's Eddie Eagle program, and I still give them periodic reminders, and I even give pop quizzes.

TFred

No. Their school teachers should.
If this answer were:

YES. And their school teachers should too.
Then it would be absolutely correct.

The sad truth is that most parents will not teach their children anything useful about guns. If school teachers follow a good program like the NRA curriculum, that is better than nothing at all from the parents.

TFred

Jack House

If this answer were:

Then it would be absolutely correct.

The sad truth is that most parents will not teach their children anything useful about guns. If school teachers follow a good program like the NRA curriculum, that is better than nothing at all from the parents.

TFred
+1

Should I have children, I will definitely teach them proper gun safety as soon as I feel they are ready. But the schools should also teach gun safety.

TFred

Of course the ironic thing about this whole subject is that the liberal antis yell and scream that we don't want to teach gun safety in the schools so that we don't expose the children to the dangers of guns at all, and at the same time, insist that we teach all the nitty-gritty details of safe-sex, because... well, I can't figure out why...

TFred

Tess

Founder's Club Member
...and at the same time, insist that we teach all the nitty-gritty details of safe-sex, because... well, I can't figure out why...

TFred

But they don't teach sex. They teach reproduction.

Back on topic ... I can't remember when I saw or held my first gun; it was before kindergarten, I'm sure. I can't ever remember NOT being around guns, and I remember my father instilling safety lessons in me from day 1. Of COURSE we should teach our children about guns... and sex, and alcohol, and drugs, and ...

If we don't, we're expecting someone else to instill values in our children, and then we can't complain about those values that are instilled.

ooghost1oo

Why would you take this position, especially if you agree with many folks on this forum that when it comes to defending yourself and your family, that it is generally not a good thing to relinquish personal responsibility to the government?

My responsibility to protect my family _includes_ teaching my children to protect themselves through safe handling of firearms. I do not wait for the schools to teach them for me, although it's nice that Virginia just passed a law requiring firearm safety lessons in public schools. I've already taught my kids the basics of the NRA's Eddie Eagle program, and I still give them periodic reminders, and I even give pop quizzes.

Haha. Apparently, you don't speak Sarcasm. I was kidding.

Of course, if they learned shooting in school, too, that'd be cool. Anyone ever saw the Zombie-Comedy movie, "Fido"?

Last edited:

petrophase

Campaign Veteran
In reference to the associated article and slideshow - in one of the slides a MT resident notes that he is concerned about the influx of antis from the coasts. I echo his concern as my neck of the woods, western SD, see ever increasing numbers of retirees and professionals from the coasts and Denver.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Yes!

My 13 year old son has a .22 rifle and my 16 year old daughter is taking a handgun class (shooting my Kel Tec PF9) at Cabela's called "Women on Target". I'll do anything to get my kids involved in outdoor activities that don't include electronics!