• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Concealed Rifle in Car, etc.

denwego

I was reading §9.41.050, and it reads that only the concealed carrying of a pistol (gun with a barrel less than 16") is prohibited without a license, along with carrying a loaded pistol in a vehicle without a license. Without checking the hunting regs yet, I'm guessing it's not kosher to have a loaded rifle in a car, but what about concealed carry? There's a chance I'll be in WA in about a month, and I'd prefer not to have to keep my truck rifle in the bed instead of the cab while I'm there. Did I miss a section of code I should've read?

bennie1986

I was reading §9.41.050, and it reads that only the concealed carrying of a pistol (gun with a barrel less than 16") is prohibited without a license, along with carrying a loaded pistol in a vehicle without a license. Without checking the hunting regs yet, I'm guessing it's not kosher to have a loaded rifle in a car, but what about concealed carry? There's a chance I'll be in WA in about a month, and I'd prefer not to have to keep my truck rifle in the bed instead of the cab while I'm there. Did I miss a section of code I should've read?

Do not have a loaded rifle in the car! that will get you big trouble! Hang on ill find the law for you. You can have the rifle anywhere in the vehicle so long as its not loaded.

Last edited:

bennie1986

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.15.460

RCW 77.15.460

Loaded firearm in vehicle — Unlawful use or possession — Penalty.

(1) A person is guilty of unlawful possession of a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle if:

(a) The person carries, transports, conveys, possesses, or controls a rifle or shotgun in or on a motor vehicle; and

(b) The rifle or shotgun contains shells or cartridges in the magazine or chamber, or is a muzzle-loading firearm that is loaded and capped or primed.

(2) A person is guilty of unlawful use of a loaded firearm if the person negligently shoots a firearm from, across, or along the maintained portion of a public highway.

(3) Unlawful possession of a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle or unlawful use of a loaded firearm is a misdemeanor.

(4) This section does not apply if the person:

(a) Is a law enforcement officer who is authorized to carry a firearm and is on duty within the officer's respective jurisdiction;

(b) Possesses a disabled hunter's permit as provided by RCW 77.32.237 and complies with all rules of the department concerning hunting by persons with disabilities.

(5) For purposes of this section, a firearm shall not be considered loaded if the detachable clip or magazine is not inserted in or attached to the firearm.

Hope this helps!

Sorry everyone I know I am contributing to an OT thread but I felt getting OP info was important so he didnt get in trouble.

Last edited:

Lammo

No loaded rifles or shotguns in vehicles (with exceptions that prove the rule):

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=77.15.460

This is one of a handful of firearm restrictions located outside of RCW 9.41.

Edit - - I see Ben beat me by 2 minutes. Too much lawyer thinking going on here. :)

Last edited:

oldkim

why conceal carry a rifle?

They just pulled up the applicable laws concerning the rifle - so long as you keep it unloaded you're fine.

Why conceal carry it? How are you going to conceal carry a rifle? Hmmm.

Keep it simple:
Unload it and secure it in your cab while you are here.

bennie1986

They just pulled up the applicable laws concerning the rifle - so long as you keep it unloaded you're fine.

Why conceal carry it? How are you going to conceal carry a rifle? Hmmm.

Keep it simple:
Unload it and secure it in your cab while you are here.

I think he was talking about conceling it in the vehicle not on his person.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
[SIZE=+1]Transporting Firearms During Travel[/SIZE]

http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/Federal/Read.aspx?id=60

A provision of federal law serves as a defense to state or local laws which would prohibit the passage of persons with firearms in interstate travel.
Notwithstanding any state or local law, a person shall be entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he may lawfully possess and transport such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and transport such firearm if the firearm is unloaded and in the trunk. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm shall be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
Federal law prohibits the carrying of any firearm, concealed or unconcealed, on or about the person or in carry-on baggage while aboard an aircraft.The Transportation Security Administration(TSA) has established certain requirements for transporting firearms and ammunition. Firearms must be carried in a locked hard sided case. Ammunition must be declared and can be transported in checked baggage or in the same container as the firearm as long the firearm is unloaded.
Any passenger who owns or legally possesses a firearm being transported aboard any common or contract carrier for movement with the passenger in interstate or foreign commerce must deliver the unloaded firearm into custody of the pilot, captain, conductor, or operator of such common or contract carrier for the duration of the trip.

denwego

Aye, I was never talking about carrying it for defensive purposes or loaded, just double-checking that I hadn't missed some obscure statute somewhere requiring that a longarm needed to be transported outside of the passenger compartment of a vehicle. I don't have a shell or cover for my truck bed, so "securing" it out of the cab isn't an option.

Cable-locked to the seat frame and covered with a blanket sounds like an option, then. Thanks for the info, everyone!

END_THE_FED

Also you do NOT need to store your loaded mags in a separate area. They can be stored anywhere you want as long as they are not "loaded" into the weapon.

EDIT: If you go hunting be sure to unload your long gun before placing it in the bed of the truck or even leaning it against the truck. I have heard stories of folks being ticketed for both.

Last edited:

TechnoWeenie

Also you do NOT need to store your loaded mags in a separate area. They can be stored anywhere you want as long as they are not "loaded" into the weapon.

EDIT: If you go hunting be sure to unload your long gun before placing it in the bed of the truck or even leaning it against the truck. I have heard stories of folks being ticketed for both.

AR15 pistol FTMFW.

30 rds of 5.56x45 at your disposal, and legally able to conceal and carry loaded in a vehicle...

build2.jpg

build4.jpg

build3.jpg

k.rollin

So how exactly do you shoot one of those with that nerf bar sticking out the back?:uhoh:

skiingislife has one. When I shot his, I took the buffer tube into my shoulder like a rifle stock and got hot gas in my face. Then I tried running it like a pistol, it was awkward. Best way I found is kind of in between. Get your regular cheek weld on the tube and shoot like a rifle, keeping the tube out of your shoulder.

Or shoot from the hip.
dodgy.gif

Last edited:

Metalhead47

skiingislife has one. When I shot his, I took the buffer tube into my shoulder like a rifle stock and got hot gas in my face. Then I tried running it like a pistol, it was awkward. Best way I found is kind of in between. Get your regular cheek weld on the tube and shoot like a rifle, keeping the tube out of your shoulder.

Or shoot from the hip. :dodgy:

Hm. See now I'm with you on the Draco AK pistol. No sense even trying to aim an AK that short, just shoot from the hip, spray & pray, & scream something fitting. :monkey
An AK makes a better "stick it in the trunk & forget about it till SHTF" truck gun anyway.

kwikrnu

Banned
Hm. See now I'm with you on the Draco AK pistol. No sense even trying to aim an AK that short, just shoot from the hip, spray & pray, & scream something fitting. :monkey
An AK makes a better "stick it in the trunk & forget about it till SHTF" truck gun anyway.

If you like 5.56, but not the buffer tube, you can get a kel-tec plr-16 or a sig 556 pistol.

TechnoWeenie

If you like 5.56, but not the buffer tube, you can get a kel-tec plr-16 or a sig 556 pistol.

I like the buffer tube. I can swap out a full size upper if I want.... Or swap a butt stock onto it as long as I have the appropriate upper on it (16"+).

I also prefer the cheek weld the pistol buffer tube, provides more stability and accuracy than shooting from the hip.

kwikrnu

Banned
I like the buffer tube. I can swap out a full size upper if I want.... Or swap a butt stock onto it as long as I have the appropriate upper on it (16"+).

It is perfectly legal to make a pistol into a rifle, but it is illegal to turn it back into a pistol. Once a rifle it cannot be made into a pistol.

PM me if you want to me to delete this quote.