Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Proper way to handle an explusion..

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Olympia
    Posts
    539

    Proper way to handle an explusion..

    What is the general consenous on handling an explusion out of a private establishment? Do I ask the manager if its the corporate policy or his/her policy? Do I merely comply and leave? In any event, I will use tact, be professional, and have an even tone to my voice. I have not been expelled as of yet but I want to be prepared.

  2. #2
    Regular Member jt59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Central South Sound
    Posts
    1,025
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovenox View Post
    What is the general consenous on handling an explusion out of a private establishment? Do I ask the manager if its the corporate policy or his/her policy? Do I merely comply and leave? In any event, I will use tact, be professional, and have an even tone to my voice. I have not been expelled as of yet but I want to be prepared.
    Good question...I've thought about this as well....here's my plan:

    Small business, Single owner: "Can I get a doggie bag", thank-you and leave...maybe go back in, sans gun and carrying an educational pamphlet....Still, it's his place, he can make his policy on the spot....I respect his right to do that.

    Regional Business: Happy to comply, are you the store manager? If not, can you call him? I'd still comply with the request and ask for his name if the Mgr wasn't around....Also, May I have the number of the Regional headquarters (along with your name)....oh, and can you put this stuff back for me, I think the ice cream is melting.

    National Franchise: Happy to comply, is this the store policy? Do you have a copy of it that I may see...Are you the store manager? If not, could you call him?... if not available, I get his name and ask for the corporate offices number, maybe ask if there is a Regional Manager number...Oh, and can you put this stuff back for me, I think the ice cream is melting.

    I see little value in trying to convince a local mgr (underling), that he is wrong even if it's true....I'd just leave the cart, contact his chain of command and then follow up with them on what their policy is (asking for a copy). After I confirmed, I might go back and visit the person again and make an effort have a reasonable conversation....(ie: "Going Rogue in Albertson's: A local Store Managers story" - although, I don't seem to have had any issue in the stores I've been in).

    Anyway, That's also assuming I think all this monkeying around would be worth it, or just go back to Safeway, Fred Meyers or WalMart.
    Last edited by jt59; 08-18-2010 at 02:03 PM.
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat....Teddy Roosevelt

  3. #3
    Regular Member bennie1986's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Spokane, Washington, USA
    Posts
    368
    I had a Riteaid manager ask if I had a permit to carry in his store a few months ago. I looked at him confused and asked if he meant a CC permit and he said no you have to have a permit to carry in privet business. I laughed and corrected him. I asked if I could continue shopping he said yes.

  4. #4
    Regular Member jt59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Central South Sound
    Posts
    1,025
    Quote Originally Posted by bennie1986 View Post
    I had a Riteaid manager ask if I had a permit to carry in his store a few months ago. I looked at him confused and asked if he meant a CC permit and he said no you have to have a permit to carry in privet business. I laughed and corrected him. I asked if I could continue shopping he said yes.
    Very nice, you cleverly "pre-empted' him away from the expulsion request....
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat....Teddy Roosevelt

  5. #5
    Regular Member amlevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North of Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,953
    Quote Originally Posted by jt59 View Post
    Small business, Single owner: "Can I get a doggie bag", thank-you and leave...maybe go back in, sans gun and carrying an educational pamphlet....Still, it's his place, he can make his policy on the spot....I respect his right to do that.
    P!$$ on the Doggie Bag. If it is a "sit down" restaurant and being able to enjoy what you ordered in the "relaxing atmosphere" is part of the offering, being asked to leave is an unfulfilled contract as far as I am concerned. I'm leaving and the owner can consider the bill a "suppository" which he can use immediately on himself.

    As for "chain" establishments, I will get as much info as possible to ID the parties and then write Corporate Headquarters. Any argument at the local level is just a waste of words as you won't be talking to anyone with the ability to do anything. A well worded letter is also an opportunity to provide the necessary support references such as State Law.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Olympia
    Posts
    539
    Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    P!$$ on the Doggie Bag. If it is a "sit down" restaurant and being able to enjoy what you ordered in the "relaxing atmosphere" is part of the offering, being asked to leave is an unfulfilled contract as far as I am concerned. I'm leaving and the owner can consider the bill a "suppository" which he can use immediately on himself.

    As for "chain" establishments, I will get as much info as possible to ID the parties and then write Corporate Headquarters. Any argument at the local level is just a waste of words as you won't be talking to anyone with the ability to do anything. A well worded letter is also an opportunity to provide the necessary support references such as State Law.

    Good point on the "doggy bag" and not arguing at the store level.
    Last edited by Lovenox; 08-18-2010 at 08:59 PM.

  7. #7
    Regular Member amlevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North of Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,953
    Quote Originally Posted by bennie1986 View Post
    I had a Riteaid manager ask if I had a permit to carry in his store a few months ago. I looked at him confused and asked if he meant a CC permit and he said no you have to have a permit to carry in privet business. I laughed and corrected him. I asked if I could continue shopping he said yes.
    Next time just tell him you have a "prescription". Let him figure that out. For most of those store managers that would keep them busy for the rest of the day.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •