• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Proper way to handle an explusion..

Lovenox

What is the general consenous on handling an explusion out of a private establishment? Do I ask the manager if its the corporate policy or his/her policy? Do I merely comply and leave? In any event, I will use tact, be professional, and have an even tone to my voice. I have not been expelled as of yet but I want to be prepared.

jt59

What is the general consenous on handling an explusion out of a private establishment? Do I ask the manager if its the corporate policy or his/her policy? Do I merely comply and leave? In any event, I will use tact, be professional, and have an even tone to my voice. I have not been expelled as of yet but I want to be prepared.

Good question...I've thought about this as well....here's my plan:

Small business, Single owner: "Can I get a doggie bag", thank-you and leave...maybe go back in, sans gun and carrying an educational pamphlet....Still, it's his place, he can make his policy on the spot....I respect his right to do that.

Regional Business: Happy to comply, are you the store manager? If not, can you call him? I'd still comply with the request and ask for his name if the Mgr wasn't around....Also, May I have the number of the Regional headquarters (along with your name)....oh, and can you put this stuff back for me, I think the ice cream is melting.

National Franchise: Happy to comply, is this the store policy? Do you have a copy of it that I may see...Are you the store manager? If not, could you call him?... if not available, I get his name and ask for the corporate offices number, maybe ask if there is a Regional Manager number...Oh, and can you put this stuff back for me, I think the ice cream is melting.

I see little value in trying to convince a local mgr (underling), that he is wrong even if it's true....I'd just leave the cart, contact his chain of command and then follow up with them on what their policy is (asking for a copy). After I confirmed, I might go back and visit the person again and make an effort have a reasonable conversation....(ie: "Going Rogue in Albertson's: A local Store Managers story" - although, I don't seem to have had any issue in the stores I've been in).

Anyway, That's also assuming I think all this monkeying around would be worth it, or just go back to Safeway, Fred Meyers or WalMart.

Last edited:

bennie1986

I had a Riteaid manager ask if I had a permit to carry in his store a few months ago. I looked at him confused and asked if he meant a CC permit and he said no you have to have a permit to carry in privet business. I laughed and corrected him. I asked if I could continue shopping he said yes.

jt59

I had a Riteaid manager ask if I had a permit to carry in his store a few months ago. I looked at him confused and asked if he meant a CC permit and he said no you have to have a permit to carry in privet business. I laughed and corrected him. I asked if I could continue shopping he said yes.

Very nice, you cleverly "pre-empted' him away from the expulsion request.... :D

amlevin

Small business, Single owner: "Can I get a doggie bag", thank-you and leave...maybe go back in, sans gun and carrying an educational pamphlet....Still, it's his place, he can make his policy on the spot....I respect his right to do that.

P!$$ on the Doggie Bag. If it is a "sit down" restaurant and being able to enjoy what you ordered in the "relaxing atmosphere" is part of the offering, being asked to leave is an unfulfilled contract as far as I am concerned. I'm leaving and the owner can consider the bill a "suppository" which he can use immediately on himself.

As for "chain" establishments, I will get as much info as possible to ID the parties and then write Corporate Headquarters. Any argument at the local level is just a waste of words as you won't be talking to anyone with the ability to do anything. A well worded letter is also an opportunity to provide the necessary support references such as State Law.

Lovenox

P!$$ on the Doggie Bag. If it is a "sit down" restaurant and being able to enjoy what you ordered in the "relaxing atmosphere" is part of the offering, being asked to leave is an unfulfilled contract as far as I am concerned. I'm leaving and the owner can consider the bill a "suppository" which he can use immediately on himself.

As for "chain" establishments, I will get as much info as possible to ID the parties and then write Corporate Headquarters. Any argument at the local level is just a waste of words as you won't be talking to anyone with the ability to do anything. A well worded letter is also an opportunity to provide the necessary support references such as State Law.

Good point on the "doggy bag" and not arguing at the store level.

Last edited:

amlevin

Next time just tell him you have a "prescription". Let him figure that out. For most of those store managers that would keep them busy for the rest of the day.