• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need a suggestion

floyd patriot

I have a Ruger P345. I'm left handed and am looking for a holster that has a positive lock that must be released to draw the sidearm. I DO NOT want a retentive type. It is imperative that no one would be able to snatch my sidearm from the holster with sheer jerking force.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Patriot

Dreamer

Positive lock securing the firearm, but no retention? Please explain to me how exactly you think that one works?...

Do you mean you don't want a thumb-snap type holster (Like a Galco Fletch), or you don't want something that secures the firearm by the trigger guard (like a Serpa)?

Does it need to be leather, or could nylon or kydex be an option?

And also, is this for strictly OC, or do you want something with a slim enough profile that you could also CC with it?

Specifics, we need specifics...

Just winging it, my first suggestion would be a Bianchi Carry-Lok, but I don't believe they make it for your gun--or ANY Ruger model for that matter...

http://bianchiconcealedcarryholsters.com/

Last edited:

sultan62

I think he meant not JUST retention, but I could be wrong.

Also, Dreamer is definitely right in that more information is needed. I've got a leather holster for my Ruger GP100 that I like and have used some, but not a great deal.

It can be found at http://www.cowboyneeds.com/420.html and is made for the P345 and LH. I've been happy with it, but as I said, not used extensively.

I also have a Safariland ALS paddle holster for my XD45 that I'm very happy with. It's comfortable, good retention, easy to draw, and provides good protection for the gun.

floyd patriot

OK, guys, sorry about the lack of info. I want a holster for concealed carry that will keep the pistol close to my body for max concealment. I want it to have a mechanism that must be activated to release the pistol to draw. I DON'T want a holster that holds the pistol by tight fight only. I'd rather have a button or thumb push release than a thumb snap. That's too obvious and too easy to break by somebody that recognizes it for what it it.
Is that enough?

Las Vegan

I'll second Dreamer's suggestion of a Bianchi Carry-Lok. A nice thing about this holster is that it has a lever that must be pressed to release the weapon, similar to a Serpa holster, but unlike a Serpa you have a good chance of finding one that will fit your handgun even if the holster was not made specifically for your model. For example, the Carry-Lok designed for the Sig Sauer P220 fits my Star 30M perfectly, but I wouldn't have known it if I hadn't had a chance to actually try one out. Plus it's a good looking piece of leather.

floyd patriot

Nice lookin' holster with the features I'm looking for! Nice choice, guys.
Now, how do I find out which model fits my 345? Safariland/Bianchi doesn't have a cross ref. chart and the lady on the phone said "I'm sorry, Sir, we don't have your pistol in our chart." I'm out in the middle of bookaroo, no where and there ain't a gunshop in 20 miles, never mind one that's gonna be carrying high dollar stuff like Bianchi and/or Safariland.

Las Vegan

Now, how do I find out which model fits my 345? Safariland/Bianchi doesn't have a cross ref. chart and the lady on the phone said "I'm sorry, Sir, we don't have your pistol in our chart."...

I know it can be hit-and-miss, but looking at the pictures on the Modern Firearms website and comparing the measurements listed is a start. If you find a gun that the holster is made for that is very close in size and design to yours, find out what the return policy is before ordering it. Hopefully you will be able to return it without too much hassle if the fit isn't close enough.

As I implied though, the way the Carry-Lok is designed one holster will fit many more specific handguns than the one each model is listed for due to the fact that less of the gun actually rests inside the holster, as opposed to a Fobus or Serpa or other "plastic" security holsters that fit the gun like a pair of wet jeans. Other than basic size and measurements, you are mostly looking at barrel length and size/shape of the trigger guard to match.

Here's an illustration showing why the holster designed for the Beretta fit my Star (which nobody seems to make a holster specifically for!):

Carry-Lok.jpg

Dreamer

Boy, I'm gonna have fun with this. The 345 is not even listed on Ruger's chart on that site. Well, there's no fire. I'll find something.

If you live near a large sporting good store (Like a Cabelas or a gun-specialty store like Mackeys in NC) they will usually let you bring your (unloaded) firearm in and "test fit" holsters...

NOBODY lists a leather holster for the Walther P22. The only "official fits" for it are those Fobus monstrosities. I wanted a nice tan leather paddle for range use when I took my daughter to the range (she is very style-conscious...).

After searching the Net, I found several references to the Walther fitting holsters for sub-compact Glocks, so I went to Mackeys (which has a HUGE selection of leather--Galco, Bianchi, Safariland) and tried a few Bianchi's and finaly found one--for a Glock--that fit like it was made custom for the Walther...

So you never know when it comes to fitting a holster. Many firearms are similar enough in dimensions that they are essentially interchangeable. Leather is also more likely to give you an "alternate fit" than kydex or nylon because it gives and will "learn" to fit the new pistol after a few days...

This just gives you an excuse to spend an hour or so browsing in a gun store--searching for the "perfect holster" using hands-on shopping techniques. What's not to like? I can think of few other activities that would be a better way to spend an afternoon...

Good luck.