• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Step by step: The foundation of Heller and McDonald is starting to add some framework

TFred

Maryland crime victim sues over denial to renew permit to carry concealed handgun

Sounds like an excellent case. The most amusing snip:

"Good luck to him," spokesman [for CeaseFire Maryland, a nonprofit group that advocates for gun control] Casey Anderson said[, brushing off the challenge]. "I would have a hard time imagining that the Supreme Court is going to say you have a constitutional right to hide a firearm on your person."​

Said apparently without thinking through that if you deny "shall issue" concealed carry permits, you then must have a "shall-issue permit" or un-permitted form of open carry! Oh the shock and horror that will ensue!

TFred

Last edited:

eye95

I don't know about SCOTUS, but the AL Supreme Court would probably also say that there is no constitutional right to conceal, only to carry. In the ruling the protects the right to OC for Alabamians, the ALSC said that the State could restrict CC or OC, but not both. They also tended towards OC, since CC is what the bad guys do.

The State chose to restrict CC, so all laws generally restricting carry are interpreted as restricting CC, not OC.

In essence, the laws do not restrict carry. They restrict concealment. For that reason, I would have no objection to any of the games they play with permits--if it weren't for the law requiring a permit to carry a gun in your car. We gotta get that one changed.

Deanimator

I don't know about SCOTUS, but the AL Supreme Court would probably also say that there is no constitutional right to conceal, only to carry. In the ruling the protects the right to OC for Alabamians, the ALSC said that the State could restrict CC or OC, but not both. They also tended towards OC, since CC is what the bad guys do.

The State chose to restrict CC, so all laws generally restricting carry are interpreted as restricting CC, not OC.

In essence, the laws do not restrict carry. They restrict concealment. For that reason, I would have no objection to any of the games they play with permits--if it weren't for the law requiring a permit to carry a gun in your car. We gotta get that one changed.
That's the trap they laid for themselves in Ohio.

They claimed there was no need for concealed carry because the courts ruled that open carry was protected. Then when people open carried they cried about that. That drove home the need for shall-issue concealed carry. But now that the courts have already ruled, open carry is also legal.

If you're going to have enemies, it's best to have stupid ones.

Last edited:

eye95

"Requiring" the issue of a "permit" is silly.

Here is the best possible solution: Open carry (including in one's vehicle) by all who may lawfully possess a firearm is a right. Concealing weapons (not the bare act of carrying) is a privilege that may or may not be licensed by the State. Then, who cares about "shall issue" vs. "may issue." That would simply be a policy decision of the legislature.

kwikrnu

Banned
Said apparently without thinking through that if you deny "shall issue" concealed carry permits, you then must have a "shall-issue permit" or un-permitted form of open carry! Oh the shock and horror that will ensue!

TFred

I think that shall issue has problems. There is a waiting period, costs, privacy, suspension and revokation of the license, etc. I think that unlicensed open carry is going to be the standard with government allowed to narrowly regulate who may not open carry. It may take awhile as it seems to me that the SAF and NRA don't like open carry.