• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just moved to florida

nick1207

I njust moved from kentucky to florida about a month a go.. my question is how long is my kentucky premit good for in florida before i have to get florida's permit? kentuckey permit is good thru 2013

brboyer

I njust moved from kentucky to florida about a month a go.. my question is how long is my kentucky premit good for in florida before i have to get florida's permit? kentuckey permit is good thru 2013

Florida Statutes 790.015 790.015 Nonresidents who are United States citizens and hold a concealed weapons license in another state; reciprocity.--
(3) If the resident of another state who is the holder of a valid license to carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm issued in another state establishes legal residence in this state by registering to vote, or making a statement of domicile pursuant to s. 222.17, or filing for homestead tax exemption on property in this state, the license shall remain in effect for 90 days following the date on which the holder of the license establishes legal state residence. This section applies only to nonresident concealed weapon or concealed firearm licenseholders from states that honor Florida concealed weapon or concealed firearm licenses.

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
Moving out of Kentucky

Please be aware that the Kentucky State Police takes the position that, as a matter of Kentucky state law, a Kentucky CCDW license becomes invalid immediately upon the licensee moving out of state. The Florida reciprocity statute assumes the license remains valid under the laws of the issuing state.

Last edited:

brboyer

Please be aware that the Kentucky State Police takes the position that, as a matter of Kentucky state law, a Kentucky CCDW license becomes invalid immediately upon the licensee moving out of state. The Florida reciprocity statute assumes the license remains valid under the laws of the issuing state.

Actually, they do not say that.

From their site:

Non-residents are not eligible for a CCDW license. Consequently, the license of an individual that moves out of state is subject to revocation. Licensees that move out of state may voluntarily surrender their CCDW license by mailing it with a letter to the following address explaining that they are moving out of state:

Kentucky State Police
Criminal Identification & Records Branch
CCDW Section
1250 Louisville Road
Frankfort, KY 40601

And just for entertainment purposes.....

Please note that "is subject to revocation", does not equal "as a matter of Kentucky state law, a Kentucky CCDW license becomes invalid immediately upon the licensee moving out of state"

Also,
KRS 237.110
(13) (a) The commissioner of the Department of Kentucky State Police, or his or her designee in writing, shall revoke the license of any person who becomes permanently ineligible to be issued a license or have a license renewed under the criteria set forth in this section.

So it's not revoked until the commish revokes it.

And since you have 30 days to tell them you have moved...

KRS 237.110
(11) Within thirty (30) days after the changing of a permanent address, or within thirty (30) days after the loss, theft, or destruction of a license, the licensee shall notify the Department of Kentucky State Police of the loss, theft, or destruction. Failure to notify the Department of Kentucky State Police shall constitute a noncriminal violation with a penalty of twenty-five dollars ($25) payable to the clerk of the District Court.
. . .

And most importantly of all.
From their website:

Disclaimer:
The following information is provided solely for the convenience of the public and is not intended to constitute a formal legal opinion or legal advice.