• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shooting range in Ashevile?

Dreamer

To all you folks who live in the Asheville area:

What are your impressions of "On Target Shooting Range"? I've got a European family member coming to visit the US this month, and he'll be staying in Asheville for a few weeks, and wants to go shooting...

Also, I noticed on their website that they "don't allow any loaded guns anywhere except on teh firing line". I'm assuming that means they are not too cool with OC in the store and the front office of the range then? Do I need to bring my gun case instead of wearing it in?

Thanks in advance!

Sahib0120

To all you folks who live in the Asheville area:

What are your impressions of "On Target Shooting Range"? I've got a European family member coming to visit the US this month, and he'll be staying in Asheville for a few weeks, and wants to go shooting...

Also, I noticed on their website that they "don't allow any loaded guns anywhere except on teh firing line". I'm assuming that means they are not too cool with OC in the store and the front office of the range then? Do I need to bring my gun case instead of wearing it in?

Thanks in advance!

On Target is a very nice place to go. I went there for my CC training and also done a little shooting there. Also the folks there are very nice. The reason they don't like loaded firearms in the store is because they've had incidents where people wasn't paying attention or was goofing off, and had accidentally discharged their weapons. Now you can have your gun in the holster, just take out the magazine (or bullets for revolvers) and put it in your pocket till you go into the range.

s000161719

Normally as long as the gun is holstered they dont care, just dont take it out until your in the range area. They have a nice selection of guns to rent if your relative doesn't have one or wants to try a gun out. Buy your own ammo though, they have ammo for sale but there 9mm range ammo is around $21 bucks for 50 rounds. But if you rent a gun you have to buy there ammo.

Dreamer

This visitor is a cousin from Germany, so he DEFINITELY doesn't have his own firearms...

I have the Para .45acp, and a Walther P22 and a metric buttload of ammo. I may be getting a .357 revolver this Friday too. I'll keep the rental option in mind.

We may just ditch the whole idea and wait until the weekend he's flying out, and make a side-trip to the range in Raleigh (PD&HSC) so he can shoot Class III... :monkey:monkey:monkey

Either way, it's not going to be a cheap range day, I'm sure. But the idea of sending an 18-year-old back to Germany with a head full of stories about a Big Range Day just warms the cockles of my heart... ;)

Last edited:

sultan62

Not been to the range in Asheville, but have been to PDHSC several times. It sounds like you're familiar with this range, but if not I've listed some basic information below.

I believe the range fee is $15/person, short (easy) range safety test at the beginning, fairly standard as far as range tests go. They have firearms to rent including some automatics, which you pay per magazine fired. I believe it's six lanes, two to a lane is fine.

I've also been to Eagle One in Raleigh, and find the people there much better to talk to as far as shooting the **** goes. Repeat visits are also less there since part of the initial $15 fee goes toward a yearly membership, and repeat visits are $10. Not a big deal, and further away from my home there, but I've been because I meet others who are closer to that than PDHSC.

Also, regarding no loaded firearms in the store, it has been my experience that this is primarily a liability issue. They typically don't care, until you start pulling out a weapon to check holster fit or try other items for sale.