• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

This interview prompted a call to L Brooks Patterson's office

Glockingbird

This is his first interview on WJR the day after...
http://www.wjr.com/Article.asp?id=1919502&spid=6552

(August 17) - Warren Pierce speaks with L Brooks Patterson, Oakland County Executive, about the Royal Oak City Council voting to lift the gun ban at Arts, Beats and Eats.

I have to admit that after hearing this interview Monday I was not very happy. So I took the time to track down the phone number to L Brooks Patterson's office. I talked to a assistant or secretary and asked to speak to Brooks. After informing me that he was unavailable, I asked if she would give him a message from me (I identified myself)? She said she would and asked "What is your message" I said that I would like to congratulate him on getting his foot completely in his mouth. And that I thought he made complete a$$ of himself on his WJR radio interview. As she choked back giggles she assured me she would give him the message. I thanked her and told her to have a nice day.

Agent1

That was not very nice!

You should call back and apologize.:banana:

You should be ashamed!;)

[Under Breath] Nice job! [Under Breath/]

Last edited:

Haman J.T.

I wrote down what he called us- characters,band of missfits,missfits,idiots,worse than idiots.He told us to go away and crawl under a rock and get a life.He called the state constitution a loophole and was unable to get the laws straight. We'll have to contact our state reps and let them know he called us these names and to reject any attempts against our rights.We can start doing this now and after the elections,because he mentioned trying to get things changed during the lameduck session!

papa bear

hello michigan
where to begin? one statement struck me "the constitution and the law are two different things ?!?". " next year we are going to make laws to close up this loop holes. don't worry about the Constitution." ???
the hate speech that flowed out of this guys mouth. i think i heard the same kind of speech from a klan members
maybe we shouldn't be fighting to give rights in Afghanistan, maybe they need to bring the troops here

ghostrider

hello michigan
where to begin? one statement struck me "the constitution and the law are two different things ?!?". " next year we are going to make laws to close up this loop holes. don't worry about the Constitution." ???
the hate speech that flowed out of this guys mouth. i think i heard the same kind of speech from a klan members
maybe we shouldn't be fighting to give rights in Afghanistan, maybe they need to bring the troops here

You really think we are fighting to give rights in Afghanistan? I appreciate the sacrifices our military members make, but don't believe that the very same government that passed the Patriot Acts, and Homeland Security (among other affronts on freedom) care one bit about human rights in Afghanistan, or anywhere else. To them, our BOR is just a piece of paper.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
hello michigan
And this guy was a prosecuting attorney, good god I feel sorry for those he prosecuted. An attorney that doesn't know the law, how rare:lol:. He seemed to get every reference to a statute or the state constitution wrong, maybe the constitution has change a lot since he was in practice!!!!!

scot623

Just called Patterson's office. I asked if there are any other rights Mr. Patterson believed we have, but should not exercise seeing as he is so adamant about only using our 2A rights(although he believes in it!) if you join the army and go to Afganistan. Left my name and number...I'll keep you informed if he calls me back. I'm sure his secretary loves all the calls his lunacy generates.

Michigander

Very much so. Historically, nearly all gun bans are inspired by racism, and occasionally other forms of bigotry, but mostly hard core racists, quite often the Klan itself as happened in the 20's here with that damned 1927 gun registration system in response to the Ossian Sweet case.

The ironic thing was that the black freedom movement in the 60's had to mascaraed itself as non violent to get the support of northern liberals, who went on to be largely anti gun, thereby hugely assisting racist efforts. It is also ironic that people like Rochelle Riley turn their backs on gun ownership, disgracing such heroes of the black freedom efforts as the Deacons For Defense and Justice, and every other black person who kept guns to protect themselves against racists, which it turns out included Martin Luther King Junior who had a serious stash of defensive firearms in his home, but knew he'd need the northern liberal support, so kept it quiet.

It is beyond fascinating that open carriers and sympathizers are trying to roll back the tyranny of racist extremists, and we get relentlessly bashed on by people who would at least claim to be supporters of racial equality.

CarlottaValdez

For those that want to read rather than listen...Here is an almost-complete transcript...bracketed quotes are the interviewer (some of that is not exact language but summary). The rest is Patterson, obviously with ellipses indicating skipped language.

I find it really interesting that he seems to think that presenting himself in this explosively angry way will make families feel 'safer' about going to the festival. If I was on the fence about whether to go to the event because of the open carry stuff, his hot headedness would definitely push me over the edge to NOT go, despite his insistence that open carriers will be nearly invisible at the event (again, why is he so angry if they are going to be invisible? His points don't even make sense in his own convoluted framework.) This makes me wonder if he doesn't even really care if attendance is affected - at this point, maybe he believes that if attendance is down (which is likely anyway since the economy sucks), he can just blame the open carriers...this makes me think that he's not really concerned about making families feel safer but rather just covering his ass on all fronts.

Anyway, the transcript:

“Under the state of the law, they [Royal Oak] had no choice…I don’t think they favored it. They had to rule that the law in fact allows this band of misfits to carry their weapons openly. They can’t take the guns out of the holster, that would be brandishing…these characters can walk around, I don’t think the public will even see them. Last night you couldn’t see the gun [on the news] because the belly fell over the pistol anyway…I’m really…angry that they take advantage of a loophole, and we can change this in the legislature, but they are going to get away with it this year. If they are so damn interested in carrying weapons, why don’t they join the army and go to Afghanistan? They can carry all kinds of weapons. Big guns! They can even ride in tanks. They don’t belong in a family festival in Royal Oak…they can get away with it for the time being. I’m angry that they’re taking advantage of this loophole and going into a festival… We created Arts Beats and Eats as a quality [??] event in Oakland County that would - really have a family kind of event where you could bring your kids – this group is going to come in – I want to convince the public that you won’t even see them, you won’t even know they’re there. Because a couple of these idiots are going to do it, and they’ll be in and out of there, you won’t even know they’re there. By the time this rolls around this year, we will have passed this loophole.”

[Those who are into carrying guns would take offense at you calling them idiots]

“I hope so. I mean, they ARE idiots. Only because this is a family radio station that I don’t tell you my true feelings about these people. Well, you’re pushing my buttons. These guys you know, found a loophole, and they’re marching through it. That’s all I can say. They’re worse than idiots. Again, family radio being what it is.”

[The loophole was what? A contract that you and Arts, Beats and Eats -]

“The loophole is the state law which governs where people who have concealed weapons are regulated. If you have a concealed weapons permit, you are regulated. You can’t carry into bars…That’s if you have a concealed weapons permit. The Constitution of Michigan, however, does not address the fact if you carry it openly. So it’s not a contract that we signed. It's the Michigan Constitution that the courts are interpreting.”

[…the Michigan law allows guns to be carried openly into many public buildings…]

“Exactly, that’s the Michigan Constitution, not Michigan law. Let’s separate the two, Michigan has a statute which is a law that governs concealed weapons…that you hide under your jacket…and they’re very tough on where you can carry, where you can’t carry. But openly, you can carry a gun on your side, strapped to a holster, and there’s no law governing that, and we’re going to correct that.”

[But they are banned in banks…churches…unless those who are in charge of those venues – can allow guns]

“If we could bar them, we would try to do so. We have a written contract with Royal Oak that says no weapons are allowed. Unfortunately, that provision in our contract is not enforceable, given the state of the Constitution today in Michigan. We hope to change the law and have some statutes enacted which gives us some authority to keep these misfits out in future festivals.”

[As the father of Arts, Beats and Eats…this issue never surfaced when the event was in Pontiac? Correct me if I’m wrong?]

“This is a 12-year – you’re right, it never happened before. Why they are picking on festival which is considered one of the top festivals in the country - we’re ranked in the top 20 of these kinds of art festivals nationally. Why they’re picking us [to make] their point? All they’re trying to do is make a point. Okay, guys, you’ve made your point. Now go away and crawl under some rock.”

[having said that, I’m sure you’ve been following this. These gun rights activists say, look this is just the starting point. They are going after Clausen, they are going after Pontiac, in your Oakland County. Taylor, Flint…for local rules that say – they say, anyway, infringe on gun rights. Their goal is to bring gun ownership out of the closet. I think that’s the line that they are using.]

“[stumbles on words] I guess they gotta get a life. If this is what they are put on this planet for is to test the gun laws – well, god love ‘em. They can go down Michigan, how many cities? We have 500 cities, 1700 townships. Knock yourself out guys. Then you can go to Ohio, Indiana…50 states, we got territories, you can spend your whole life testing these laws. But if they really want to carry a gun, I mean, a big gun that makes a lot of noise, why don’t they go to Afghanistan?”

[Do you think it will deter families from coming…?]

“That’s why I’m angry. We’ve had a great festival for the last dozen years, and some calls that I’m getting – not a lot, but some calls saying we’re not going there with our families. And these guys don’t give a damn if they interfere with family weekend. A festival. They don’t care. They are selfish about this point. You can keep your kids at home, we’re going to carry guns into a crowded festival. I can’t tell you how much I dislike this group of misfits.”

[They’ll say, well the bad guys, they’ll be carrying guns and you won’t even know it.]

“I’ve heard that crap for 19 years when I was prosecutor.”

[Hmm. So the outcome of this particular decision – maybe it will change the law here in the state of Michigan? Because I think there was a resolution passed last night to try and do that?]

“I’m getting calls from democrat legislators, republican legislators. I think this is going to be a simple remedial piece of legislation that may even run in the lame duck session if not next year.”

[random ramblings at end]

“I want your listening audience to join me down at the draft board when these guys sign up.”

Haman J.T.

For those that want to read rather than listen...Here is an almost-complete transcript...bracketed quotes are the interviewer (some of that is not exact language but summary). The rest is Patterson, obviously with ellipses indicating skipped language.

I find it really interesting that he seems to think that presenting himself in this explosively angry way will make families feel 'safer' about going to the festival. If I was on the fence about whether to go to the event because of the open carry stuff, his hot headedness would definitely push me over the edge to NOT go, despite his insistence that open carriers will be nearly invisible at the event (again, why is he so angry if they are going to be invisible? His points don't even make sense in his own convoluted framework.) This makes me wonder if he doesn't even really care if attendance is affected - at this point, maybe he believes that if attendance is down (which is likely anyway since the economy sucks), he can just blame the open carriers...this makes me think that he's not really concerned about making families feel safer but rather just covering his ass on all fronts.

Anyway, the transcript:

“Under the state of the law, they [Royal Oak] had no choice…I don’t think they favored it. They had to rule that the law in fact allows this band of misfits to carry their weapons openly. They can’t take the guns out of the holster, that would be brandishing…these characters can walk around, I don’t think the public will even see them. Last night you couldn’t see the gun [on the news] because the belly fell over the pistol anyway…I’m really…angry that they take advantage of a loophole, and we can change this in the legislature, but they are going to get away with it this year. If they are so damn interested in carrying weapons, why don’t they join the army and go to Afghanistan? They can carry all kinds of weapons. Big guns! They can even ride in tanks. They don’t belong in a family festival in Royal Oak…they can get away with it for the time being. I’m angry that they’re taking advantage of this loophole and going into a festival… We created Arts Beats and Eats as a quality [??] event in Oakland County that would - really have a family kind of event where you could bring your kids – this group is going to come in – I want to convince the public that you won’t even see them, you won’t even know they’re there. Because a couple of these idiots are going to do it, and they’ll be in and out of there, you won’t even know they’re there. By the time this rolls around this year, we will have passed this loophole.”

[Those who are into carrying guns would take offense at you calling them idiots]

“I hope so. I mean, they ARE idiots. Only because this is a family radio station that I don’t tell you my true feelings about these people. Well, you’re pushing my buttons. These guys you know, found a loophole, and they’re marching through it. That’s all I can say. They’re worse than idiots. Again, family radio being what it is.”

[The loophole was what? A contract that you and Arts, Beats and Eats -]

“The loophole is the state law which governs where people who have concealed weapons are regulated. If you have a concealed weapons permit, you are regulated. You can’t carry into bars…That’s if you have a concealed weapons permit. The Constitution of Michigan, however, does not address the fact if you carry it openly. So it’s not a contract that we signed. It's the Michigan Constitution that the courts are interpreting.”

[…the Michigan law allows guns to be carried openly into many public buildings…]

“Exactly, that’s the Michigan Constitution, not Michigan law. Let’s separate the two, Michigan has a statute which is a law that governs concealed weapons…that you hide under your jacket…and they’re very tough on where you can carry, where you can’t carry. But openly, you can carry a gun on your side, strapped to a holster, and there’s no law governing that, and we’re going to correct that.”

[But they are banned in banks…churches…unless those who are in charge of those venues – can allow guns]

“If we could bar them, we would try to do so. We have a written contract with Royal Oak that says no weapons are allowed. Unfortunately, that provision in our contract is not enforceable, given the state of the Constitution today in Michigan. We hope to change the law and have some statutes enacted which gives us some authority to keep these misfits out in future festivals.”

[As the father of Arts, Beats and Eats…this issue never surfaced when the event was in Pontiac? Correct me if I’m wrong?]

“This is a 12-year – you’re right, it never happened before. Why they are picking on festival which is considered one of the top festivals in the country - we’re ranked in the top 20 of these kinds of art festivals nationally. Why they’re picking us [to make] their point? All they’re trying to do is make a point. Okay, guys, you’ve made your point. Now go away and crawl under some rock.”

[having said that, I’m sure you’ve been following this. These gun rights activists say, look this is just the starting point. They are going after Clausen, they are going after Pontiac, in your Oakland County. Taylor, Flint…for local rules that say – they say, anyway, infringe on gun rights. Their goal is to bring gun ownership out of the closet. I think that’s the line that they are using.]

“[stumbles on words] I guess they gotta get a life. If this is what they are put on this planet for is to test the gun laws – well, god love ‘em. They can go down Michigan, how many cities? We have 500 cities, 1700 townships. Knock yourself out guys. Then you can go to Ohio, Indiana…50 states, we got territories, you can spend your whole life testing these laws. But if they really want to carry a gun, I mean, a big gun that makes a lot of noise, why don’t they go to Afghanistan?”

[Do you think it will deter families from coming…?]

“That’s why I’m angry. We’ve had a great festival for the last dozen years, and some calls that I’m getting – not a lot, but some calls saying we’re not going there with our families. And these guys don’t give a damn if they interfere with family weekend. A festival. They don’t care. They are selfish about this point. You can keep your kids at home, we’re going to carry guns into a crowded festival. I can’t tell you how much I dislike this group of misfits.”

[They’ll say, well the bad guys, they’ll be carrying guns and you won’t even know it.]

“I’ve heard that crap for 19 years when I was prosecutor.”

[Hmm. So the outcome of this particular decision – maybe it will change the law here in the state of Michigan? Because I think there was a resolution passed last night to try and do that?]

“I’m getting calls from democrat legislators, republican legislators. I think this is going to be a simple remedial piece of legislation that may even run in the lame duck session if not next year.”

[random ramblings at end]

“I want your listening audience to join me down at the draft board when these guys sign up.”
Thank You Carlottavaldez.I pasted the audio on other sites also!I'll be emailing the names he called us to several legislators too!

B

Bikenut

Folks please allow me to express my opinion...

As disturbing and annoying as Mr. Patterson is please do NOT fall for his tactics!

Mr. Patterson is using solid Saul Alinsky tactics to demonize people with legal guns portraying them as worse than criminals while ignoring real criminals with illegal guns all in the name of public safety to rile up the people who are uninformed in an effort to get local municipalities to become the new gun control force in this State... and then it will spread to all the other States.

Actually some may call me paranoid but I would not be surprised if the movers and shapers (and I am NOT talking about the Brady bunch!) of gun control have figured out that if every municipality had gun control laws it would take until the year 2095 to sort them all out in the Supreme Court.... and by that time guns would have already be taken away from us peasants just by instilling the fear of being arrested.

Reasonable and reasoned letters to legislators that address the core issue of restricting rights... the 2nd Amendment and Article 1 section 6 of Michigan's Constitution (which Patterson has the arrogance to call a "loophole") especially in the wake of the Supreme Court's McDonald v Chicago ruling while noting that allowing municipalities to have the power to enact gun control is nothing more than a power grab from the legislators themselves.... would have more effect than emotionally responding to Mr. Patterson's ravings.

I am of the opinion that OC has opened the largest can of worms seen since folks got pissed at King George... and that this fight for gun rights is going to be a long and hard war because it isn't about guns... it is about control of our country.

He who has no guns is under the control of those who do have guns.

CharleyMarbles

Folks please allow me to express my opinion...

As disturbing and annoying as Mr. Patterson is please do NOT fall for his tactics!

Mr. Patterson is using solid Saul Alinsky tactics to demonize people with legal guns portraying them as worse than criminals while ignoring real criminals with illegal guns all in the name of public safety to rile up the people who are uninformed in an effort to get local municipalities to become the new gun control force in this State... and then it will spread to all the other States.

Actually some may call me paranoid but I would not be surprised if the movers and shapers (and I am NOT talking about the Brady bunch!) of gun control have figured out that if every municipality had gun control laws it would take until the year 2095 to sort them all out in the Supreme Court.... and by that time guns would have already be taken away from us peasants just by instilling the fear of being arrested.

Reasonable and reasoned letters to legislators that address the core issue of restricting rights... the 2nd Amendment and Article 1 section 6 of Michigan's Constitution (which Patterson has the arrogance to call a "loophole") especially in the wake of the Supreme Court's McDonald v Chicago ruling while noting that allowing municipalities to have the power to enact gun control is nothing more than a power grab from the legislators themselves.... would have more effect than emotionally responding to Mr. Patterson's ravings.

I am of the opinion that OC has opened the largest can of worms seen since folks got pissed at King George... and that this fight for gun rights is going to be a long and hard war because it isn't about guns... it is about control of our country.

He who has no guns is under the control of those who do have guns.

I couldn't agree more and well stated even thanx :)

ken243

Just called Patterson's office. I asked if there are any other rights Mr. Patterson believed we have, but should not exercise seeing as he is so adamant about only using our 2A rights(although he believes in it!) if you join the army and go to Afganistan. Left my name and number...I'll keep you informed if he calls me back. I'm sure his secretary loves all the calls his lunacy generates.

For the record. I am in Afghanistan and have no 2A rights. :cuss: U.S. contractors are not allowed to carry or even have weapons here. (unless their job is security) Crazy as it sounds the base I am at is much safer than the city of Flint. Yet most of the people here (troops) are open carrying M4's and M9's every day. Funny how that stuff works.

DanM

I spoke with a lady answering the phone at Mr. Patterson's office, and his media manager Mr. Mullen. To both, I expressed that while Mr. Patterson certainly should talk about his views and have them discussed and debated in public, I was very dismayed by his name-calling and his wish that some law-abiding carriers would just get out of the country ("go to Afghanistan"). They both indicated that they had received several calls similar to mine about this issue.

Also, in an email follow up to Mr. Mullen, I made the following point:

"My primary concern in calling you was the potential fuel Brooks' initial remarks give to the anti-RKBA (anti right to keep and bear arms) lobby. You may not have much experience with this lobby, but theirs is a divide-and-conquer strategy. They constantly seek to capitalize on disagreements among law-abiding gun owners--open carriers, concealed carriers, home-defense people, hunters, competitive shooters, military-style firearm owners, etc.--to lure some segments of law-abiding gun owners/carriers to sell out or not support other segments of law-abiding gun owners/carriers. I'm sure many of them dream that the Oakland County Executive's remarks can be used, at first, to politically isolate and destroy lawful open carry, bit by bit. Then, after that, they continue their step-by-step agenda to isolate and destroy all other forms of firearm carry and ownership, from those with the least support to--eventually--the last remaining ones standing. That is historically proven as to how the anti-RKBA lobby operates. My very humble suggestion to Brooks, with regard to his "off-the-cuff" style, is that he should exercise restraint when it comes to RKBA topics and issues. Spend just a little time talking to people (including those he disagrees with) and then express his opinions in a reasoned way, the first time, without having given anti-RKBA folks plenty of fuel to use in harming all of us law abiding gun owners/carriers."