Thread: Open carry at Ocean Springs Walmart

Open carry at Ocean Springs Walmart

i was wondering if anyone has open carried at the ocean springs wal mart store and was there any issue from employs or not.

Ihave open carried at the gulfport walmart a few times without any problems; I also saw someone open carry at the biloxi walmart without any problem

Depending on local laws, most Walmarts will not hassle you for open carrying a firearm.

do they have to have a sign posted preventing firearms in the store or can they just make you leave it in your truck

Walmart is private property If the manager ask you to leave or take your gun to your truck you must

I've open carried at the Pascagoula walmart quite a bit with no reaction from the public or police - except maybe a few doubletakes.

Walmarts official policy is to follow what the state law allows for whatever state the store is located, this has been discussed many times and the search function is your friend on that subject.

Most law enforcement officers think you must have a permit to open carry, so if you can get one, I'd recommend it. If you cannot get one, then make sure your handgun never gets covered by any clothing or whatever and a voice recorder would be recommended. Also wouldn't hurt to have the OCDO member gunluvnatty (spelling may be incorrect) on retainer.

Iwas told that a gun in a holster is a concealed wepon and it requires a permit to carry

Quote Originally Posted by robbyw View Post
    Iwas told that a gun in a holster is a concealed wepon and it requires a permit to carry
    That is what most law enforcement officers think, but I doubt someone being charged with 'carrying a concealed deadly weapon' while open-carrying would hold up in court. But it could definitely cause you some heartache whether you are right or wrong.

One of my favorite questions to ask LEOs is how can I exercise my right to open-carry that is spelled out in the Ms State Constitution under art. 3 Sect. 12? The most common answer is 'get a permit!?' I guess for the 45 or so days you are waiting for your permit, you have to stay in your house or your own private property!

Anyway, here are some good links to our laws.

Mississippi State Constitution Article 3, Section 12: http://www.mscode.com/msconst/3/3-12.html

Mississippi Code of 1972, 97-37-1: http://www.mscode.com/free/statutes/97/037/0001.htm

Summary of Mississippi concealed carry laws: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/mississippi.pdf