Thread: Question regarding Muzzle loading pistol registration

Question regarding Muzzle loading pistol registration

If a muzzle loading pistol kit was purchased, will the pistol have to be registered once assembled? Is there any loop hole with it being a muzzle loading pistol that will keep it from needing to be registered? When transporting this same pistol, what would the differences be, (if any) to a non muzzle loading pistol? I would appreciate if information is accompanied by a cite. Thanks!

Muzzle loaders don't have to be registered, and according to federal law aren't even regulated as firearms. They can be ordered from a catalog and shipped to your door in most states, I believe including this one.

Most carry laws still apply however, and because of the fact they aren't registered, they aren't "licensed" to be carried in federal school zones, so you have to factor that in without a CPL.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Thanks Michigander, do you happen to know the MCL? Or is there one?

Quote Originally Posted by tygereye View Post
    Thanks Michigander, do you happen to know the MCL? Or is there one?
    There may not be one, though I'm not sure. When I moved back to MI and went to get the "safety inspections" done, they told me I didn't have to register....ooooops..."Safety inspect" the black powder.

I thought maybe there wouldn't be one... was hoping for something, even if it is a lack of mention of a muzzle loading pistol...

Suddenly I have the urge to get a flintlock pistol for my pirate costume when I go to the Renaissance festival.

All opinions posted on opencarry.org are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of opencarry.org or Michigan Open Carry Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    Muzzle loaders don't have to be registered, and according to federal law aren't even regulated as firearms. They can be ordered from a catalog and shipped to your door in most states, I believe including this one.

Most carry laws still apply however, and because of the fact they aren't registered, they aren't "licensed" to be carried in federal school zones, so you have to factor that in without a CPL.

If they are not considered a firearm,how could they be enforced under the school zone thing?
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.

Just for clarification, muzzleloading firearms are not firearms under federal law however they are firearms under Michigan law.

MCL 28.421
    "Firearm" means a weapon from which a dangerous projectile may be propelled by an explosive, or by gas or air. Firearm does not include a smooth bore rifle or handgun designed and manufactured exclusively for propelling by a spring, or by gas or air, BB's not exceeding .177 caliber.

MCL 28.422 License to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistol; issuance; qualifications; applications; sale
    of pistol; exemptions; nonresidents; basic pistol safety brochure; forging application; implementation
    during business hours.

Sec. 2...
    (7) This section does not apply to the purchase of pistols from wholesalers by dealers regularly engaged in the business of selling pistols at retail, or to the sale, barter, or exchange of pistols kept as relics or curios not made for modern ammunition or permanently deactivated. This section does not prevent the transfer of ownership of pistols that are inherited if the license to purchase is approved by the commissioner or chief of police, sheriff, or their authorized deputies, and signed by the personal representative of the estate or by the next of kin having authority to dispose of the pistol.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.