• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Governor McDonnell in NoVA for Town Hall - Wednesday, August 25 - 7PM-8PM

tkd2006

Forgive my ignorance here on the subject, but are there not states that have this service online? I cannot remember where I was, but the dealer at a gun show was typing the information into the computer, and the results came back almost as soon as the "enter" button was pushed.

Carl

Yes Virginia has this option but some dealers chose not to use this they would rather call in a transaction. Which as Nova would like to point out on weekends his friends that get instant approvals seem to have to wait well if the dealers would use the online option then they probally would not have to wait.

Glock27bill my comment above should explain why all of your checks were done that way. The dealers have the option to speed things up but if they dont want to well thats on them.

Nova do you honestly think a dealer is going to tell you its his fault (since hes not using the online service) that your delay is taking so long, no hes going to pass the buck and blame the state. Also how many dealers do you think pass along the wrong information like transposing your date of birth or fist name and middle name which adds extra time to correct their mistakes do you think they will tell you "sorry i gave them the wrong information on your date of birth and when i realized it i had to call them to correct the mistake so they had to rerun your check". yeah i see that happening "sorry for your delay but it was my fault for not reading a form correctly" vs "its their fault call them"

The problem is while you have friends that have to wait to buy a gun you dont know everything about that person if they have ever been arrested then in my opinion they deserve to have to wait while their history is looked at. You are also only getting one side of the story which can color your judgement esp since its happening to a friend or even to yourself. Like i sated try to get all the facts or at least as many as possible before passing judgement. Someone posted about me assuming VAPATRIOT having a questionable history, please show me where i said that. My comment was directed to anyone that has to wait due to having been arrested at some point in their life.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
E-gad! Whether the Virginia check provides a useful benefit or not is not a concern of mine. Having the first background check is already an impediment to good people being able to exercise their rights to the ownership of firearms as it starts with a presumption that one is not legally allowed to purchase from an FFL until the prospective owner proves his / her innocence. Having a second check is just another impediment and certainly no boon to liberty. If someone comes along that will make efforts to rid our society of impediments to liberty such as a state based background check for the purchase of firearms then that person will receive my support. Why should one feel guilty for removing an impediment to liberty that sucks off the taxpayer's teet?

Last edited:

nova

Nice seeing you too Dave. Nope.. did not see anyone from GMU (besides you) and not one word about me Open Carrying. Not even a weird eye from the secret service or the state police.

Secret Service? You mean Virginia State Police Executive Protective Unit?

nova

Which as Nova would like to point out on weekends his friends that get instant approvals seem to have to wait well if the dealers would use the online option then they probally would not have to wait.
Actually I've seen during busy weekends when I worked in a gun store where using the online system it just about immediately came back delayed to to the backlog of checks going on due to the Expo Center gun show.
Someone posted about me assuming VAPATRIOT having a questionable history, please show me where i said that. My comment was directed to anyone that has to wait due to having been arrested at some point in their life.

Here you go.

So you seem to think NICS would be better for all of Virginia or just you. Like i said do the research and get all the facts before you make a wish list. How can filling out a Va firearms form help if NICS has a problem. Well bottom line is if you are one of many people that get delayed because of something in your past Va will help you get the problem straight NICS will leave you denied or not approve the transaction at all and leave it up to the dealer to release the firearm.

Last edited:

tkd2006

Actually I've seen during busy weekends when I worked in a gun store where using the online system it just about immediately came back delayed to to the backlog of checks going on due to the Expo Center gun show.

Here you go.

Well Nova it seems you have your answers vs really trying to get the facts. You state VSP delay people on purpose because of the backlog due to gun shows i say shennanigans. why would they want to delay someone please answer that.
I also think if you read the comment i made where you accuse me saying VAPATRIOT has a shady past there is a big word in there you might not have noticed ->IF

JMELVIN please show me where there are 2 checks being done. You cant its not 2 checks its 1 check being done by Virginia State Police. WHile its considered a NICS check they do it not NICS. Bottom line is its one check that so many people seem to think is 2. Like i said earlier people should get all the facts first.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Even if I am wrong that it's only one check it still doesn't matter except that I unknowingly misrepresented it. It's certainly 2 forms and that's 2 forms too many and too much time to buy a simple tool for private possession. I don't need some bureaucrat telling me that I'm an innocent man and can enjoy the privileges associated with life gauranteed by the U.S. Constitution because I've filled out his or her good guy paperwork. Good riddance to those who've sponged off of the taxpayer's dime, while impeding on said taxpayer's liberties.

Your argument seems to be that the state governments program is good because it gives people two options when having their liberties trampled; and that it's good to have people employed even if they are employed in trampling the liberties of free people.

Last edited:

nova

Well Nova it seems you have your answers vs really trying to get the facts. You state VSP delay people on purpose because of the backlog due to gun shows i say shennanigans. why would they want to delay someone please answer that.
They delay people so they have more time to run the checks. When there is a lot of transfers going on in the state, there is nothing "instant" about background checks. VFTC is simply understaffed and does not have the people there to handle the demand. Therefore, they delay transfers almost immediately to give themselves more time to work, and so the people wanting to buy the guns don't have to stand there waiting, they know they're delayed and can leave and come back later when the check comes back.

Last edited:

tkd2006

They delay people so they have more time to run the checks. When there is a lot of transfers going on in the state, there is nothing "instant" about background checks. VFTC is simply understaffed and does not have the people there to handle the demand. Therefore, they delay transfers almost immediately to give themselves more time to work, and so the people wanting to buy the guns don't have to stand there waiting, they know they're delayed and can leave and come back later when the check comes back.

Im just wondering how they delay them. Heres my question if your information is entered into a computer system that searches certain data bases how does one delay you unless A) you have criminal history that must be checked or B) you name matches somene else that does have a criminal histiry - like ssn,or very common names, or say maybe a past friend got drunk and droped your name instead of yours while being arrested and its listed as an alias.

Sure i saw the same article about VSP being understaffed but the same delay would happen with a NICS check as with the one the state. You make it seem like the state police have a person that says lets delay people because we r backed up. that makes no sense its misinformation like that, that causes more problems. The only thing you can really point at is due to the staff shortage the delays were taking a little longer than when they had a full staff.
The bottom line is noone gets delayed with out a reason.

Thundar

Even if I am wrong that it's only one check it still doesn't matter except that I unknowingly misrepresented it. It's certainly 2 forms and that's 2 forms too many and too much time to buy a simple tool for private possession. I don't need some bureaucrat telling me that I'm an innocent man and can enjoy the privileges associated with life gauranteed by the U.S. Constitution because I've filled out his or her good guy paperwork. Good riddance to those who've sponged off of the taxpayer's dime, while impeding on said taxpayer's liberties.

Your argument seems to be that the state governments program is good because it gives people two options when having their liberties trampled; and that it's good to have people employed even if they are employed in trampling the liberties of free people.

Well said jmelvin. The entire system is a gross infringement by the federal behemouth. Why should the Commonwealth add another layer of stupid to this scheme? An extra form and $2 for every firearms transfer. What nonsense.

VApatriot

I was personally unable to make it out to Reston in time on Wednesday, so I was just wondering. Was this subject even brought to the Governor's attention at this townhall meeting, or any of the others for that matter?

If so, what was the reaction to the proposal?

nova

I was personally unable to make it out to Reston in time on Wednesday, so I was just wondering. Was this subject even brought to the Governor's attention at this townhall meeting, or any of the others for that matter?

If so, what was the reaction to the proposal?

It wasn't brought up. If people wanted to ask a question they had to write it down when they signed in after arriving. I never signed in so I didn't know about asking questions.

Seemed like everything asked and talked about was privatizing ABC, transportation, and a few others who think we should pay more for electricity.