• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Experiences

JUMPOFFBRIDGE89

California does not have a open carry experience post at all for as far back as I dared look. Page 50+ I think. So here it is. Post your good or bad O.C. experience here.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
There's lots of experiences...

What page is it on and what is the post title?

2007 http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?37264-Open-Carry-in-Rural-Northern-California-2007
2008 http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?45863-Open-Carry-in-Northern-California-Summer-2008
2009 http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?52552-Open-Carry-in-Northern-California-2009
2010 http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?77580-Open-Carry-in-Rural-Northern-California-2010

I have some that are not organized in it's own thread dating back to 2006, but when I searched for them I couldnt locate them. (Perhaps due to the forum move.) You will have to search CA_Libertarian and Pullnshoot25 for other early experiences.

I think it's funny that California experiences are seemingly so hard to find- after all, we are facing a ban for all this open carry activity, right?

There should be more posts detailing the non-event of being armed- At times, it makes me feel like I'm the only one active in the entire state. (Not that I really think I am.)

PincheOgro1

When I first bought my pistol, I OC'd a few times. Several places. I went to a gun show. I went to Denny's for breakfast. KFC for lunch. I went into home depot to buy potassium for my water softener. A local Chevron for gas. I even went to my car dealer. It was all uneventful. No guaking at my sidearm. Nobody really noticed. Well, the car dealer, as I was leaving I heard them crack a joke about "Better give HIM good service"... but that was it. I was polite the whole time OCing, never drew attention to my sidearm, like I was trying to impress anyone, etc etc.

mjones

I would put my UOC experiences here, but they would put you to sleep.
Nothing happened.

Ya, that pretty much sums it up for me.

I enjoy reading non-events when others post them, but I don't take the time to post them myself.

JUMPOFFBRIDGE89

Well the linked forums were for individuals, just northern ca, and other years. None of the linked forums were for a strictly all california UOC experience thread. Alot of other states have them and we don't. We need to tell the uneventful stories cause that shows people there is no concern. Or as most of you say "pics or it didn't happen." Well imagine stories are pics. If you don't tell them people may not believe you carry. So let loose the uneventful stories to let people know that it is not a big deal to carry.

Last edited:

JJ

OC in Modesto

I normally work in Concord, but my boss asked for volunteers to work in the Central Valley (retail loss prevention) for a couple days so I volunteered.

Went to lunch at In n Out (on Sisk Rd) on Tuesday, nobody seemed to notice.

Wednesday went to Applebees (also on Sisk) , one of the waiters seemed to keep eyeing me after I was seated.
Other than that,nada.

In the city I live in, I think everyone is used to seeing me at my regular stops.

Got gas one day and left the G20 in the truck and the cashier asked "no gun today?" LOL

Devilinbp

In addition to my own personal daily open carry "non-experiences" several of us in San Diego have been getting together to help educate the public every week for the last few months at the El Cajon Car Cruise on Wednesdays. We have only been 12031 checked once.
Here is the relevant thread: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?78492-El-Cajon-Car-Cruise-UOC-Wed-Nights

Notice the cops on bikes in a few of the pics......they don't even pay any attention to us anymore.

ntnwwnet

Well, here's my experience:

1. Went to pick up a pizza @ Papa Johns. My Walther didn't magically jump out of its holster and start spewing out bullets.
2. Went to the gas station. My Walther didn't magically jump out of its holster and start spewing out bullets.
3. Went to an ATM outside my bank. My Walther didn't magically jump out of its holster and start spewing out bullets.
4. Went to AMPM to get a slushie. My Walther didn't magically jump out of its holster and start spewing out bullets.
5. Went to WalMart to use a Coinstar machine. My Walther didn't magically jump out of its holster and start spewing out bullets.
6. Went grocery shopping. My Walther didn't magically jump out of its holster and start spewing out bullets. (Noticing a trend here?)

Everything went well. The only downside? I have 3 hours of audio recording taking up space on my iPhone.

Last edited:

PincheOgro1

Well, here's my experience:

1. Went to pick up a pizza @ Papa Johns. My Walther didn't magically jump out of its holster and start spewing out bullets.
2. Went to the gas station. My Walther didn't magically jump out of its holster and start spewing out bullets.
3. Went to an ATM outside my bank. My Walther didn't magically jump out of its holster and start spewing out bullets.
4. Went to AMPM to get a slushie. My Walther didn't magically jump out of its holster and start spewing out bullets.
5. Went to WalMart to use a Coinstar machine. My Walther didn't magically jump out of its holster and start spewing out bullets.
6. Went grocery shopping. My Walther didn't magically jump out of its holster and start spewing out bullets. (Noticing a trend here?)

Everything went well. The only downside? I have 3 hours of audio recording taking up space on my iPhone.

It's funny how weapons NEVER do any of the things they are accused of when handled by responsible LAW ABIDING CITIZENS... Go Figure.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
It's funny how weapons NEVER do any of the things they are accused of when handled by responsible LAW ABIDING CITIZENS... Go Figure.

You should note that our opposition has been pointing out that everyone is a 'law-abiding citizen' until they commit crimes like assault, robbery, or murder and blame the crime on the availability or proximity to firearms.

We should be pointing out that this is another of many millions of occasions that a firearm is not being used as an implement of crime- period. Taking the law-abiding citizen (that they think is transformed into a cold-blooded killer by adding a gun) out of the equation forces them to deal only with the firearm as a tool, that does nothing of or for itself.

ntnwwnet

Some more UOC experiences today:

1. Wanted to UOC to "America's Tire" to get a leak repaired. There's a school ~500 feet behind the store so I couldn't. Instead I put my holstered P99 and 2 extra holstered magazines in a locked container in my trunk. I followed the law and did not commit any crimes. Carrying did not entice me to commit any crimes.

2. Went from there to Sam's Club to get an estimate on replacing 4 tires. Transitioned from ULCC to UOC in me car and started the voice recorder. UOC'ed without incident. I followed the law and did not commit any crimes. Carrying did not entice me to commit any crimes.

A question: Am I permitted to conceal my loaded holstered magazines if my pistol is in a locked container? My reason: It's annoying/difficult to have to remove BOTH my pistol holster & my magazine holster and put them in my locked container.

--

On a side note: The UOC pamphlet has an old, outdated, and confusing link to its form thread. I created a shortened link that I think should replace the current link on the PDF/DOC. It's http://bit.ly/caopencarry.

I think this will not only look better but it'll also be easier for us to remember and possibly write down when needed.

1245A Defender

youre doing too much work!!

there is no need to remove your holsters!!
just put the gun and the mags in your locked container.
leave the empty holsters on your belt.
besides being quite stylish, they are a 1st A declaration,
of your 2nd A rights!

coolusername2007

/snip/ Instead I put my holstered P99 and 2 extra holstered magazines in a locked container in my trunk.

Unless you want to there is no reason to double lock your pistol or mags. You can either lock them up in a case and place next to you in the car, or you can place them in the trunk which is the locked container. Locking up in a case and then locking up in the trunk is double locked and not required.

ntnwwnet

Locking up in a case and then locking up in the trunk is double locked and not required.

True, but as soon as I open my trunk it's no longer "locked?" Say if I'm putting my groceries into the boot...

Also, is it legal to conceal my holstered loaded magazines if my firearm is in a locked container? Or do I have to remove and lock both the pistol & loaded magazines?

PincheOgro1

True, but as soon as I open my trunk it's no longer "locked?" Say if I'm putting my groceries into the boot...

Also, is it legal to conceal my holstered loaded magazines if my firearm is in a locked container? Or do I have to remove and lock both the pistol & loaded magazines?

Since I am a "newbie", more or less. My answer will probably be invalidated by someone else. From what I understand, the loaded magazines cannot be concealed, as they are considered an integral part of the weapon. If they were not loaded I think it would be OK to conceal them.