• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Experiences

mjones

Also, is it legal to conceal my holstered loaded magazines if my firearm is in a locked container? Or do I have to remove and lock both the pistol & loaded magazines?

Since I am a "newbie", more or less. My answer will probably be invalidated by someone else. From what I understand, the loaded magazines cannot be concealed, as they are considered an integral part of the weapon. If they were not loaded I think it would be OK to conceal them.

Close.

Really bad case law People v Hale indicates that a concealed magazine in the presence of an open firearm equals a concealed firearm

So, concealed magazines with no firearm should be ok. There is also some theorizing that its ok to conceal magazines in the presence of a firearm so long as the firearm also has a magazine in it and is thus 'completed' (rendering the concealed magazines moot as they are no longer an integral part of the firearm)

So, the safe and easy to remember answer is to never conceal a magazine in the presence of a firearm (for which it fits)

PincheOgro1

Close.

Really bad case law People v Hale indicates that a concealed magazine in the presence of an open firearm equals a concealed firearm

So, concealed magazines with no firearm should be ok. There is also some theorizing that its ok to conceal magazines in the presence of a firearm so long as the firearm also has a magazine in it and is thus 'completed' (rendering the concealed magazines moot as they are no longer an integral part of the firearm)

So, the safe and easy to remember answer is to never conceal a magazine in the presence of a firearm (for which it fits)

Last edited:

PincheOgro1

Going to "OC" later today.

Terminix is coming to inspect the termite bait trap things outside between 12 and 2 pm.

After which I will be going to the Moreno Valley Mall, in Moreno Valley, Ca. I'm gonna buy a new

cell phone with audio/video and a bigger screen than the one I have now.

I will be "OPEN CARRYING", and If I don't end up in Jail, I will probably have NOTHING to report

on later, but I'll post it anyway. I'm hoping to get (e) checked just to see how knowledgeable the

MVPD is.

Last edited:

JJ

Y
I'm hoping to get (e) checked just to see how knowledgeable the MVPD is.[/QUOTE said:
If they have the most basic understanding of the Constitution and the latest Supreme Court rulings, they will know that an 'e' check is a violation of your 4th amendment rights against illegal search and seizure, and leave you alone.
Wanting to be violated in such a way is beyond my comprehension.

coolusername2007

True, but as soon as I open my trunk it's no longer "locked?" Say if I'm putting my groceries into the boot...

Moot point. Once the trunk is opened the firearm is no longer concealed, but would then be openly displayed. The only true caveat would be if you're in a GFSZ according to 626.9, otherwise you're fine.

PincheOgro1

Terminix is coming to inspect the termite bait trap things outside between 12 and 2 pm. After which I will be going to the Moreno Valley Mall, in Moreno Valley, Ca. I'm gonna buy a new cell phone with audio/video and a bigger screen than the one I have now. I will be "OPEN CARRYING", and If I don't end up in Jail, I will probably have NOTHING to report on later, but I'll post it anyway. I'm hoping to get (e) checked just to see how knowledgeable the MVPD is.

Well. I went to the Mall. It was pretty uneventful. I came in on the back side, down stairs. No screams of terror. A couple of women did glance my way though, oh and there was a Mall Security guard that looked at me. I didn't make eye contact with him. He was talking on his little radio mic. I don't know if it was about me or not, didn't care. I wasn't doing anything illegal.

I hadn't been to the Mall in a long time and I hadn't come in that way before, so I was a little disoriented, but once I got my bearings and located the escalator, I made my way upstairs.

I went to the T-Mobile Kiosk, near the food court, and spoke to the young lady there. No one seemed to pay attention to my firearm. I bought myself a "Samsung Vibrant" Galaxy S type cell phone with unlimited everything. LOL. This was what was recommended to me by JUMPOFFBRIDGE89 and other Truck driver friends, and after hearing the pricing plans, it seemed the most logical.

I walked away from the T-Mobile Kiosk and made my way to Radio Shack. I needed "AA" batteries. I got my batteries and was standing at the counter when a young man, maybe in his 20's asked me if I was law enforcement. I replied "NO". He then asked me if my gun was loaded, I said "NO". I then pointed to the magazine pouch on the other hip, and said "but I can load it real quick, if I need it". He kinda gave me a quick nervous glance at that point. He started talking about how "ODD" it was to see someone walking around with a sidearm. I told him I was just excercising my constitutional right. He made the remark, "Oh... like down in Texas!" I kinda chuckled, and told him it was everywhere. He then asked "but you need a license to "Carry" that way. I told him "NO", and I started explaining to him about open carry and then concealed carry. He then said "probably a lot of people would be nervous seeing a man walking around with a gun like that". I told him: "the guns you don't see, are the ones you have to worry about". * Refering to gang bangers *. That is when the two Radio Shack sales clerks chimed in, in agreement with me. They had been listening to the exchange all along too. I paid for my batteries and left Radio Shack, then the Mall. Oh and I did mention that there was a gun show tomorrow (Saturday) at the Orange County Fair Grounds. 9-5.

I then went to my local Chevron to get fuel and a car wash. The station was busy. No one said anything. No gauking. I did try to keep my carry hip towards to truck though. Not to attrack attention. I then went to Home Depot to pick up potassium for my water softener. I walked around the whole store. Nothing happened there. No one made any remarks, there were no stares, no women clutching their children, no screams or begging for mercy. The store checkout clerk paid no attention (cute little young lady). Just a NORMAL day.

I went home after this. I'd been awake for 16-17 hours and I was tired.

Last edited:

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
He made the remark, "Oh... like down in Texas!" I kinda chuckled, and told him it was everywhere.

Well- no, it isn't everywhere. It is illegal to open carry in Texas- I would have repsonded that for now, Californians are freer than those who live in Texas. But you are right, the Constitution applies to all the states, not just certain places.

Iopencarry

Met with EastBay OC today, we had 5 OC'ers carrying and 4 supporters, with 2 kids.

I would normally be carrying, but due to an eye injury this week, felt it would be unsafe for me to do so. Will return to carrying daily soon.

Talked to a few people who asked about us, and no one seamed to pay us much attention. As usual. We have out area pretty used to us being around.

No PD calls, No MWG etc.

Just a small group of friends hanging out having brunch, planing our next picnic.