• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Ryan's

Jim40Cal

I open carried today in Ryan's restaurant on 23rd in Independence. Walked right past the manager twice and he never said a word. Two Independence crime
scene investagators came in and set beside me and the wife. Never said a word although they did take a good look at my weapon. Waitress's could have cared less.

BILL27GLOCK

I open carried today in Ryan's restaurant on 23rd in Independence. Walked right past the manager twice and he never said a word. Two Independence crime
scene investagators came in and set beside me and the wife. Never said a word although they did take a good look at my weapon. Waitress's could have cared less.

Well that's a positive, haven't tried that one yet. Have been in Hy-Vee convience next door to Ryan's and also 7-11 on 291 and Gudgell. No issues so far.

Mo

Banned
Good job man! I cannot find anyone in my local area with the balls to OC with me.

Those guys in St. Louis have OC gatherings all the time. Maybe you could plan a get together out your way like Doc does. Meet somewhere easy to get to like Diamonds Restuarant in Gray Summit.

sohighlyunlikely

balls

Good job man! I cannot find anyone in my local area with the balls to OC with me.

Each person has to come to the personal decision to weather or not they are comfortable to practice Open Carry. I think If you continue to show it to be a responsible and acceptable way to carry people will learn from seeing your actions. You can help them over their apprehensions with continuing the path of OC and educating people to their option to OC. I do think more will take up their option to OC. That being said, I am not sure goading others by referring they lack complete male genitalia will really help your cause.:D

Doc

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate

Excellent exposure of that cowboy thing I got so much crap for mentioning in the other thread. I have lots more impolite things to say, however I am refraining at this time other than to mention it is the fact they have smarts is perhaps a better choice of words.

To the OP, rock on but be careful and don't drip the food on your gun, them buffets are too tempting for me. I avoid them like the plague otherwise I would weigh 900 lbs!

Glad you had a positive experience.

jad316

I agree, I've wanted to meet with Doc and his friends many times. My only concern is it would be my luck thats the day when an officer would pull out and arrest us for disturbing the piece. With this being said I'm a single income family man and could NOT hire an attonry to help my cause! TRUST me I want open carry more then anything but I'm unable to swallow my fear of the what ifs out there.... I have followed your instructions onlineabout where open carry is legal and I've printed them and keep in my car just in case I'm busted for printing or anyother charge they try to come up with.... One day the normal citizen and all around good man/wpmen will not have to worry about our freedom and rights. All I can say is thanks to you Doc and everyone your involved with for doing what you do and supporting our cause.

Jim Davis

Last edited:

cash50

Jim, no one can make you do it-that's for sure. But I don't think you'll catch a charge around here. But if you're worried get a camera like Doc's miniDV. I'm getting one. It's solid evidence of what you were doing ya know? Take a friend or spouse as a witness. There's been times when I really wish I was OC instead of CCW - like last night - I think it's a good deterrent.

HYRYSC

I live in the Springfield area and OC everywhere I go even though I have been told that it is frowned upon by Springfield law enforcement. While I do not wish to aggravate any law enforcement officer, I also am not going to allow anyone to enforce their own rules on me.

A friend of mine wanted to go to Kelley's police and tactical yesterday to check out a conceal holster for his new XDm, so I went with him. Of course I was open carrying my Glock 20. There was an officer in there that said that he was working there part time. My friend and I spoke with him for a while as my friend even made reference to me as "one of those weirdo open carry freaks". It was all in fun and I laughed, but no one else said a word about my open carrying (which is pretty typical).

Tonight my wife and I are going out to eat with my preacher and his wife. He knows that I carry a gun everywhere (he has allowed me to carry at our church, but I do conceal there). I will be open carrying tonight like I do every other night, so nothing will be different.

They only one in their family that has an issue with my carrying (whether open or concealed) is their son-in-law who is getting ready to go into the military. A few weeks ago we all went out shooting and of course, I had my Glock on, he asked if he could shoot it, I said sure, well he emptied out the magazine at about 10 yards and managed to a hit a regulation 25 yard slow fire pistol target a grand total of about 3 times. I told him that now that I know why he doesn't want to see anyone carrying. He said, why is that? I said, you assume that everyone is as bad of a shot as you. LOL

goalseter88

They only one in their family that has an issue with my carrying (whether open or concealed) is their son-in-law who is getting ready to go into the military. A few weeks ago we all went out shooting and of course, I had my Glock on, he asked if he could shoot it, I said sure, well he emptied out the magazine at about 10 yards and managed to a hit a regulation 25 yard slow fire pistol target a grand total of about 3 times. I told him that now that I know why he doesn't want to see anyone carrying. He said, why is that? I said, you assume that everyone is as bad of a shot as you. LOL

lol, i sure you two will get along just fine after you coment like that:p

HYRYSC

Well he said that he is going to be going to special ops training in the military, so he should come out a lot better shot than me.

peterarthur

Each person has to come to the personal decision to weather or not they are comfortable to practice Open Carry. I think If you continue to show it to be a responsible and acceptable way to carry people will learn from seeing your actions. You can help them over their apprehensions with continuing the path of OC and educating people to their option to OC. I do think more will take up their option to OC. That being said, I am not sure goading others by referring they lack complete male genitalia will really help your cause.:D

Doc

Something I watch for is the people who notice but look a little nervous to ask. I usually pop out a "Hey, how's it going?" if they seem like they want to talk and most do. Then I watch as their faces fill with wonder at statements like, "No, I didn't have to take training" and, "No, you don't need a license" and "No, it is not a registered weapon, it is not a legal requirement in Missouri" :) And so they ask, "Could I do that, too???" And I say, "As long as you can legally own a gun, but I recommend you get training from a friend or family member before you carry it in public...". They seem SO appreciative that I took the time to let them know they do not have to be slaves. I can't wait to run for office in 2012 :)

Last edited: