• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Effect of McDonald on MN Permit system

paul@paul-fisher.com

So... Any thoughts on what McDonald will have on the MN permit system? Some of the conventional wisdom is that ALL states will have to offer at least one 'free' method of carry. Do you think MN will drop permits completely, making Constitutional Carry or change so that CC or OC will be permitted?

Thanks!

drkarrow

The conventional wisdom that some others have is that "reasonable restrictions" such a licensing & permits are still allowed and that Heller/McDonald only prevents complete ban's such as Chicago/DC.

The 15th amendment gave blacks the right to vote. But states found a loophole by requiring a poll tax to vote, thereby preventing blacks from voting because at the time they were mostly poor. It took 94 years and the 24th amendment to close that loophole.

So based on that history a shall-issue gun permit is effectively just a gun tax. And it may be constitutional unless another amendment such as the 24th is passed that ban's any gun-tax or permit schemes.

I'd say McDonald/Heller will have no impact on MN currently.

Last edited:

kwikrnu

Banned
So... Any thoughts on what McDonald will have on the MN permit system? Some of the conventional wisdom is that ALL states will have to offer at least one 'free' method of carry. Do you think MN will drop permits completely, making Constitutional Carry or change so that CC or OC will be permitted?

Thanks!

I think that all States will have to allow carry with only some narrow restrictions. I think the pay for a permit will be ruled unconstitutional unless there is another way to carry a handgun which is free. I know Volokh's published paper in the UCLA law review last year doesn't agree, but his paper was pre-McDonald. Plus, the majority in McDonald didn't say anything about "reasonable restrictions." These "shall issue" States issue permits, but take them away for many reasons which may be unconstitutional, are they really "shall issue"?

Jared

Thanks!

Four things come to mind off the top of my head that can probably be challenged.

1. Charging 100 dollars, at the most, they probably can only charge what it cost to run a background check

2. Any disqualifiers that are not disqualifiers from possessing, pretty much any non-felony.

3. The ban on non-immigrant aliens in Minnesota, they are entitled to access to the bill of rights.

4. Requiring you be 21 years old or more, all other rights are afforded to a person at 18.

Of course no one in MN will be pushing any of this.